Howdy from a new DE user

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Kevin K, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!

I've been interested in DE shaving for a while. After lurking in several forums, including this one, I decided to give DE's a try. WOW! After 8 days shaving, I'll never go back to my multi-bladed monstrosity. Even with my frugal purchases and the frequent nicks (I'm seeing less already), I have had the best shaves in my history.

So, I'm interested in learning more and eventually upgrading my equipment to achieve even better results. Right now I've got a Parker 90R, VDH cheapie soap and brush, Proraso/C.O.Bigelow shave cream and Shark blades. Could one of you kind souls give me some direction as to my next step towards a better shave? I was thinking of ordering a blade sampler pack to experiment with.

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Welcome, Kevin!

In my opinion, a blade sampler pack would be a good investment and could help you find a good starting point. However, and others may or may not agree, I think slow, repetitive practice with a single set-up (that's fairly comfortable) would do much more for you in improving your shaves than additional products. I am a strong believer in not filling up your plate too fast based on the recommendations of others. Get to a level where you're comfortable and confident, and then you'll know what you need next and what would improve your shave for you.

There are so many kind men and women on this forum who will answer your questions and patiently assist you, so enjoy and know that it just keeps getting better and better!

Hanzo likes this.
  3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Welcome to the Shave Den!
    Definitely get a sampler pack, but spend at least 2-3 weeks with your current kit, perferrably a month; it'll let you develop your technique and you'll be able to more accurately judge which blades from the sampler will work best with your face.

4. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

A hearty welcome and a big hello. You will find as you progress the shaves will be more incredible.
    A blade sampler is great start to finding blades that work for you. I would suggest a good boar brush such as a Semogue or Omega for a brush upgrade. There are some great soaps to chose from in the TSD store.

Read the forums they are loaded with great advice and the tutorial section too. Ask questions too.

Good luck and great shaves.

5. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Welcome to the Den, Kevin! Enjoy your stay here and Happy Shaving! :signs046:

Send me your contact information in a PM and I'll send you a sample pack of blades, no need to buy them when I have a truckload. ;)

swarden43 likes this.
  6. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Hello, Kevin and welcome to The Shave Den! It sounds like you are off to a great start. I would stick with what you have and really get your technique down before you let SAD, RAD, BAD, ASAD, and whatever other AD you can think of, take hold of you. After that, though, a blade sampler pack is a great idea. Followed by a new brush, then a razor, then a new cream, another razor, a different brush, a TSD soap, another razor.............................................;)

7. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

Thanks for the welcome. I just knew that THIS was the place to be for all my shaving needs. And you people have proved it already!

I'm taking the advice given and sticking with my current setup for a few more weeks. Hopefully my technique will be solid enough to know where my shortcomings are and what the next step to fixing them is. I'm still getting a blade sampler pack 'cause that seems like a good place to start.

Thanks again,
    Kevin

KLF likes this.
  8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Welcome to the Den.

10. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

Welcome and happy shaving!

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Click on the link in my signature for some basic advice, but trying different blades is a good place to start. The Sharks are a poor blade to begin with. I don't know anyone who routinely uses Sharks. (Although this is Shark week!)

Edit: Some people like Sharks but the majority find themselves using something different once they try a few different blades.

12. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

:signs046:

Good starter kit! As posted above ... blade sampler. Everything else you have you could use for the rest of your life and have great shaves, so when you're ready to try new items that are of interest you ... go for it. That's where the fun begins ... .

13. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

welcome!

15. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome!

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

17. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

Welcome and when the ADs kick in there's The Shave Den 12 Step plan to the rescue:

Step 1 - Buy a DE
    Step 2 - Buy some blades
    Step 3 - Buy a brush
    Step 4 - Buy some shaving soap
    Step 5 - Buy some aftershave
    Step 6 - Buy a SE
    Step 7 - Buy more blades
    Step 8 - Buy another brush
    Step 9 - Buy shaving cream
    Step 10 - Buy a Str8
    Step 11 - Buy a shave stick
    Step 12 - Repeat Steps 1 - 11 as often as your budget allows

Kevin K and burpsan like this.
  18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Kevin! :signs046:

19. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hi and welcome, you frugal purchase's price is unimportant only quallity of the shave, I have hade some grat shaves from some very frugal purchases;). Glad its working out well for you.

20. red436

red436 Member

Welcome to TSD Kevin. Getting a great shave from a shark blade?! That just goes to show you preferences of blades and faces. I have a 5 pack of sharks and feather's. Sharks will never come to my face again after using only one. Though I love the feathers. Derby Extras and 7 'O clock blues are up there too. Happy shaves to you.