How's your day? February 2017

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by macaronus, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Have fun, Rich. My Bride and I are planning a trip to Sint Maarten later this year. I would enjoy hearing more about your trip when you return. :happy005:

macaronus and richgem like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Definitely stay on the Dutch side... much more relaxed than the French side and much more willing to speak English. You'll enjoy it.

macaronus, Erik Redd and wristwatchb like this.
  3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'll be there on March 1st, via a cruise. Last time we rented a car since they drive on the right side of the road. This time no car, just heading to the airport beach for the day.

macaronus, Bird Lives and richgem like this.
  4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Thanks Charlie. I feel pretty good today. Did some yard work and now I think I'm gonna watch some TV and turn in early.

wristwatchb likes this.
  5. RetLEO-07

wristwatchb likes this.
  6. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

A bit half & half...drove 200 miles to Palestine to visit me dear ol' mum, who had just been moved into a "home for the aged" (she's 86) after having surgery on her left elbow (fell and also cracked a kneecap in the process). Beautiful weather, light traffic, and a really nice facility she's in. She has to stay several weeks for physical therapy...and my brother is of the mind that she would be better off there. She's been in an "assisted living" type apartment complex, alone, but has made friends there (some are even in that *nursing home* she's in now) and has been going to church on a regular basis. But, it's gotten to the point to where she really shouldn't be living alone. Mum claims the wind caught the door she was trying to open, but sister-in-law thinks she may have had a fainting spell. That, along with increasingly erratic behavior (this isn't the '50s anymore...you can't just go around patting kids on the head like you used to, or dig through strangers' shopping carts at the store, and other stuff), is an indication she should be somewhere that has help if she needs it. It's a non-profit, with big money backing it, with medical staff on hand, and can take care of her every need. The people are really great, and she seems to like them. I've always dreaded this day...putting Mum away in a *nursing home*, but the consensus is she'd be better off. She looked happy...happier than when she was in that apartment. Oh, and my brother is now making custom holsters. *Really nice* custom holsters.

It was a long drive back to Austin.

Bird Lives and Erik Redd like this.
  7. RetLEO-07

I feel ya pard. I had to do that sad thing for both my parents. As an only child I can tell ya it was not pleasant duty. That and watching as everything they worked so hard for all their lives was drained away. I tried for years to get them to either move closer to me, sign over the house to me and live there, well you get the idea. They were of the Depression generation and there was no talkin' to 'em. In the end the only thing I was able to hold onto was the house and I had to sell that to pay off their final bills to the nursing home. They both passed in 2014 and it was a blessing. Mom was 92 and Dad was 93. Good luck.

'65 G-Slim likes this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

We've been through this with my mother in law a few years ago ... I wish you strength and wisdom to deal with the situation.

'65 G-Slim likes this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

@richgem have fun in St. Maarten ... I am not jealous at all!

macaronus and richgem like this.
  10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

You say that, bcause you have the answers to the Dutch Proficientcy Test printed on your shirt cuffs...Do penguins have French Cuffs ? Ha ha, Dutch answers on French Cuffs in St Martens...hmmm...seem a touch ironic ?

Congratulations....Enjoy every minute....You deserve it....}8^))
    I know you won't.....but still I have to ask, Pics Please? ....no pics, didn't happen....:lam:

Alright.....if you demure....we will agree that it did happen, if you give is a report, as soon as you get back....pics optional.....:happy069:

Just stay in touch with your Mom.....She might really like it....Most of the folks I know who moved into assisted living facilities seem to like them but they fear being or getting cut off from their kids.....If she sees she will be hearing from you as much or more than before...That will increase her happiness ratio considerably...

Custom Holster Pics would be really nice....another form of functional art.....}8^))

richgem and Queen of Blades like this.
  11. richgem

So it finally happened... after a slightly too strong Manhattan* and a delicious dinner, my waitress at the hotel asked me (in perfect English) how dinner was. I responded in Dutch that it was delicious. I know I mispronounced the word for "very," but judging by the way she giggled and didn't respond, I'm assuming that I also implied something about her mother. I mean, I'm just not that charming of an individual. Plus, she was young enough to be my daughter.

*My foreign language skills improve dramatically after a cocktail or two. Proven fact.

macaronus and Erik Redd like this.
  12. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Well, at least she giggled. It could have been worse. But why get a Manhattan instead of some rum drink with a paper umbrella?

13. richgem

Rum based drinks are good for during the day/heat of the sun. But, they are too sweet for me to have with dinner. Rum punches are quite popular, as you might imagine. But, depending on who makes them they can be like "bug juice" with rum in it or a bit more refine. Guavaberry rum makes a nice punch tho.

Erik Redd likes this.
  14. RetLEO-07

:happy088:

Erik Redd likes this.
  15. richgem

A giggle can be good. Maybe she was just sooo incredibly impressed (by the dumb American) that she didn't know how to respond. :rofl:

(tho, due disclaimer: the Dutch are very chill when it comes to the Americans. The French side however, you do feel a bit of tension over the language issue.)

Erik Redd likes this.
  16. RetLEO-07

Yeah, I'm sure the whole flightless bird thing was a real turn on.

richgem likes this.
  17. richgem

Who doesn't find penguins adorable???

18. RetLEO-07

Oh, I don't know, polar bears maybe?

19. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Need a suggestion for some beach reading?
    image.jpeg

macaronus likes this.
  20. richgem

I will have to look into an e-version of that one. Thanks.

I pre-loaded my kindle with some Dutch children's books and I just started my first "grown up" book. I also downloaded a Dutch dictionary to my kindle so I can just highlight unknown words and have them translated automatically. (very cool feature). The children's books I'm doing OK with even if I'm not getting every word. The novel I started (written by a Surinamese reporter) definitely has harder vocabulary. With help, I'm getting it, but it is taking much longer to read each page.

Erik Redd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.