How's Your Day? October 2016

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by swarden43, Oct 1, 2016.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Went up to Easton, PA for a knife show and had a great time. Quite a few str8s for sale, but I was after a knife. I did use three str8s I had layin' around to barter with. Pics of the knife I picked up coming.

Could see fall starting to set in up in north Jersy and eastern PA. Beautiful drive.

So how is/was your day?

2. swarden43

A 1982 Case 52009 1/2 SSP; that stag is what hooked me.
    20161001_201952.jpg 20161001_202024.jpg

gorgo2, Slow Joe, Spud and 8 others like this.
  3. swarden43

So far, so good?

4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Steve, that stag-handled Barlow is a beauty. The Case Knife Company has such a rich history. Barlows, Canoes, and Trappers are my favorite patterns. I picked up a couple of bone-handled Great Eastern Cutlery Barlows awhile ago. I'll try to remember to post some photos.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  5. swarden43

@wristwatchb Thanks! I usually carry a stockman, but I couldn't pass on that stag; too beautiful! Besides, I've never carried a Barlow, so I figured the only way to know if I would like it is to buy it and carry it. So far I'm likin' it.

wristwatchb likes this.
  6. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

Beautiful blade! I'm putting in a 12-hour day so no fun for me.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Steve, my Dad's first knife during the Depression years was a Russell Barlow. His father, my grandfather, told all the sons that there would be a gift waiting for whoever got up early one northern Alabama winter morning to load and light the coal stove. My Dad was the first to rise, and he got the gift, which was a new Russell Barlow. Around 1970, he decided to attend a local knife show to get himself another Russell Barlow. He came home with a couple, and that kindled his interest in collecting pocket knives.

As a kid, I tagged along with him to knife shows on the weekends, and these are some of my fondest memories of being with my Dad. Case knife collecting was really taking off in those days. If we didn't go to a knife show, we'd drive to small towns all over the midwest, locate the mom and pop hardware stores, and attempt to buy any discontinued Case knives they had in stock (even the ones wired to the board in the display case). He'd also try to buy the display case. Sometimes, the knives they had were the discontinued patterns, tang stamps, handle materials, etc. The funny thing is that store owners were not supposed to sell the knives on display and certainly not the display case...but sometimes they did. Sadly, I have very few of my Dad's knives now. But every time I see a Barlow, I automatically think of him and the time we spent together.

You carry a Barlow; therefore, you must be a good guy. :) If you decide you like the Barlow pattern, check out the GEC brand also:

And this is just a cool video showing how Taylor's Eye Witness Barlows are made:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Good Day! Very productive morning, and now the weather has canceled the rest of my day. So, off to be semi-productive at home!

PickledNorthern likes this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

@macaronus @Eeyore

169 dagen: mijn boom is compleet en nu heb ik mijn gouden uil!
    (169 days: my tree is complete and I have my golden owl!)

dutchowl_resized.png

10. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

@richgem Van harte! Loon naar werken! :)

macaronus, wristwatchb and richgem like this.
  11. richgem

Dank je wel.

macaronus likes this.
  12. swarden43

Congrats! :signs107:

richgem likes this.
  13. richgem

Thank you, Steve!

14. swarden43

Great story of some great memories. Thanks for sharing, Charlie.

Learned about GEC here http://allaboutpocketknives.com

wristwatchb and Bama Samurai like this.
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Today was productive. I went for some physical therapy in the afternoon & did some shooting in the evening. Now I am going to watch Dark Shadows on DVD.

16. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

The 22-29 this month is International Brain Tumour Awareness Week. I'm busy writing my story to post on FB, and possibly a blog, to raise awareness. I know most people don't know I've been living with one for that last few years, but I hope the post will help people understand them a bit more.

I think I just dropped the bomb for the first time here in this post....:S...sorry...

I may have to catch you guys up on a latter post...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

gorgo2, Slow Joe, dustmite and 2 others like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Best wishes for you, Luke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slow Joe and lradke like this.
  18. richgem

Wow.... Please post the blog link for us. And I hope and pray that everything works out for you.

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Going to get my flu shot this morning, then some grocery shopping. They now do flu shots by appointment-I had wondered where my letter was to announce the days&times.

20. swarden43

Father, bless Luke with Your healing power for Your glory, in Jesus's name. Amen

lradke, richgem and PickledNorthern like this.