Humidors and humidification question

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by swarden43, Dec 28, 2014.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My wife bought me my fist real humidor (I was using a plastic ziplock tub that worked, just not very pretty), a beautiful 100 capacity size with an old world map motif.
    I've seasoned it by wiping it down with distilled water and letting it sit. I stocked it with all of my 25 cigars and have put in two Boveda 72 pouches.

So here's my question, the pouch says it is good for 25 cigars, is that number for the number of cigars currently in the humidor, or for the capacity of the humidor itself? I do have two more pouches ready to add if the number is based on humidor capacity.

KLF and feeltheburn like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

IIRC, the rating is for the capacity of the humi, not the number of sticks actually in there. But, that said, I have never gotten a real humi to calibrate properly. But, I've had terrific luck with cigar jars and humi sticks. They are practically idiot proof.

3. richgem

btw... pic is needed. ;)

4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

:signs011:And congrats...

5. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Yep...the humidor. Use two if it is a 50 cigar humidor.

swarden43 likes this.
  6. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Do you have a hygrometer?The humidor should come with one and if not you can buy one on ebay I got a digital one for 4$... Do a salt test to calibrate it and you are set

Ceferguson likes this.
  7. swarden43

Salt test and calibration complete.

Here are some pics.
    P1010762 (Medium).JPG

P1010763 (Medium).JPG

P1010764 (Medium).JPG

P1010765 (Medium).JPG

The smell of the Spanish cedar and tobacco is fantastic!

BamaT, Spit_Fire, Slipperyjoe and 3 others like this.
  8. richgem

swarden43 likes this.
  9. Warhorse

Warhorse Active Member

The most trouble free way that I've found to keep my sticks correctly humidified is to get a set of humidity beads. They do a good job or keeping the humidity stable...you can pick 65% or 70%, based on your personal preferences. Worry free and last a good long time. I would also recommend a digital hygrometer, when you decide to upgrade to beads. The analog ones have a tendency for large variances. Great looking humidor by the way.

CyanideMetal and swarden43 like this.
  10. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

That is a lovely humidor, although I first read it as humidifier, so I was a tad confused when you put cigars in it.

swarden43 likes this.
  11. swarden43

Thanks.
    I would have preferred a jar of the beads, but they had sold out (I went in the day after Christmas) and all they had were the Boveda pouches. I'll exhaust these, then get some beads.

12. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I had better luck with Boveda, but as always YMMV... even when cigars are involved

BamaT likes this.
  13. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Custom soap scent??:bounce015:

BamaT and Spit_Fire like this.
  14. swarden43

Something to consider. I've never used Boveda before. Any issues with placing a pack directly on top of cigars, or even cigars on top of the pack? Or is it best to prop 'em up along the sides?

15. swarden43

Readin' my mind!

Spit_Fire and CyanideMetal like this.
  16. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

BamaT and swarden43 like this.
  17. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I think best not to have direct contact between the Boveda and the cigars,but I'm not an great expert. I have mine on the bottom, a thin grilled-type sheet of plastic between and then the cigars. I'm sure you can find your own setup.

18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I always keep some popsicle sticks/ tongue depressers in mine. I would put the across the top of a row of cigars, paved apart from each other. the idea being to allow air flow.
    if no-one in the house to disturb, ie kids. I've puta shot glass of water in the box.

19. swarden43

Interesting idea.

20. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

First - get rid of the plastic humidifier - much more problems than they are worth. If you use it, the thing WILL eventually fall and possibly damage your cigars. Ask me how I iknow...! You can use the Boveda packs, but go eith 69%. Or... use Heartfelt or HCM beads. I have both beads in my wineador and use Boveda 69's in my desktop humi - about your size. BTW - you can recharge the Boveda packs when they dry out.