I Got One Too!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Johnny, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Upon the recommendation of a member I highly respect, I purchased this Schick G this evening. I have never owned a SE before so this will be a new experience. Not sure how to tell it's a G as they all look alike to me. I have blades on the way and after a good cleaning I will give SE shaving a try. You want pictures, well, here they are (six of them)

schick 1.jpeg

schick 2.jpeg

schick 3.jpeg

schick 4.jpeg

schick 5.jpeg

schick 6.jpeg

2. CoinsAndMore

CoinsAndMore New Member

Yep. It's a G, a G1 to be precise. The seam in the handle and the double patent numbers are the main clues.

Nice one and good pics too.

3. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

That's a beautiful razor Johnny! I hope you enjoy it.

4. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

First an injector, next the MMOC!

Enjoy it Johnny! My I1 Schick gives me effortlessly splendid shaves.

5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice find Johnny:signs154:

6. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

Very nice, lets u know how it shaves.

7. CoinsAndMore

CoinsAndMore New Member

I just noticed, it's also proof that "any" (E+) Schick will take the Twin Injector blades.

8. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

The above pictures were sent to me from the person I bought the razor from. I hope that blade you notice will not effect the use of the blades that are meant for that razor. If so, then it will be useless to me.

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

It looks like yours does not have the stop tabs on either side of the spring. This is a good thing because it will allow you to rotate the spring and open the jaw for cleaning. Although, it may be more trouble than it is worth. All I have ever done is just jam a chopstick in one side to wedge the blade track open so I could get a toothbrush in there and scrub a bit. If you do jam something in there, don't get too carried away, you may bend the jaw.

10. CoinsAndMore

CoinsAndMore New Member

No. That shouldn't be an issue at all. The twin blades were designed to be used in all models of the Schick Injectors. A normal blade should eject that one just fine too, but that's the only potential issue I see. The type E was introduced in 1935. Your G in 1946. The Schick II twin injector didn't come along until 1974. Everything from the E up is supposed to use the same blades.

One thing I do before cleanup of injector razors is to manually remove any blade. You can (very carefully) nudge the blade over with a knife or similar tool, then grasp it with a surgical clamp or pliers. You have to be very careful to not mar the finish or cut yourself of course.

A safer technique than the knife (to avoid scratching) is to partially insert a new blade so the old blade is projecting, then remove it as above with pliers, etc. You can then back the new blade out instead of fully inserting it.

11. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Thanks. I will heed your advise.

12. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Johnny, you will enjoy the shaves from it. Congrats and enjoy.:bounce017:

13. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

The tab that locks it closed is centered on the top of the spring on the G's. They can be pried or forced open, but weren't designed to open like the E's were.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet!! May it provide you with many great shaves to come.

15. I sold mine and regret it still - you are in for a treat!

Am looking for a mint-ish one with amber handle.

16. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Like this?! :biggrin:

No, no more pm's I'm not selling it lol...

sotd10212011.jpg

17. You are having WAYYY too much fun!

Actually I guess I am looking for more of a butterscotch handle.

Oh, and the NERVE to have a bottle of that Nebraska bay rum in the picture. :rofl:

HoosierTrooper likes this.
  18. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Too much burn in one picture?! :biggrin:

I kid I kid, before I get in trouble again.

19. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Razor arrived and it is in excellent condition. Not a mark on it. The existing blade was removed without any trouble and it is now in its first soaking for cleaning and sanitation purposes. Our good member Nick (wknicholas) is being so kind to pif me some injector blades, and as soon as they arrive I will put this little beauty to work. Looking forward to my first ever SE shave.

This razor did come in it original red plastic box with the clear hinged cover, but the clear cover has a chunk missing from the front. But, I did not buy this to admire the box, but the razor.

Here it is, ready for its first shave in many years.

Schick G1 | MWF | Floid Blue.jpg

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice!
    Nope. Can't shave with the box.
    Enjoy!