I had a chance to get an old Schick today

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Nov 3, 2010.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I saw an old schick type C open comb today while out perusing the antique stores in the area. It appeared to be in good condition and had the cap. I passed on it because I wasn't sure if blades were available for it. I've learned that it takes the old magazine repeater style blades and not the standard injector blades. are the magazines/blades available or is there a work around for this because it was awesome looking and would make a great travel razor. They wanted $35 for it.

Here is a picture of one. The only difference is the one in the store had some boyo's name engraved on it.

Attached Files:

2. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I have one of these, also an A, B2, and C2 repeater. The A and C2 are my favorites. The C1 is okay, but the comb feels a bit odd on my face. Obviously these are just personal opinions.

Generally, these will take modern blades, but sometimes they are a loose fit, and you have to sort of mash the part of the head that holds them in. I suspect this is just because many of them have loosened up over time. I had to do this with both of my type Cs, but not the B or the A. Be aware that these don't have blade stops on the corners of the cutting edge as with later injectors. The blade is held in entirely by being pinched at the top.

There is an internal blade holder, that apparently would have come with each pack of the old blades. You might want to have them pop open the back on the one in the store to see if that is in there, and also to make sure the mechanism still works. You would stack the blades in that and put them in the handle in order for the repeating mechanism to work. There may be workarounds if you don't have the holder, but I don't know them.

Although the blades in the handle concept is a neat idea for a travel razor, I'd be a bit concerned that water could get inside during shaving, and corrode the blades if they're in there too long. Maybe I just worry too much.

Don't really have enough experience to say what a going rate is on these. $35 might be a little high, but not ridiculous. If you shop around enough, you may find a lower price. I paid between $15 and $20 each for my types B and C, but $42 for the type A.

All in all, the repeating razors are very cool devices, and can shave well, but be prepared to deal with extra technical issues. If you just want a good shave, you might prefer a regular injector, but then, for all I know, you may already have one.:happy005

3. never seen a razor so'....
    :confused:

4. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

make sure you are able to get the blades before you buy it. 35 dollars seems very expensive. I would probably go with a "newer" injector model. youll be able to get the blades for that esily.

5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Thanks for the input. I guess I will pass on this one. I did open up the rear on that one and I seem to remember it had what looked like a little door or gate that said "load" so I'm going to assume that it needed a magazine. That's really to bad cause it looked like an interesting conversation piece, but I don't want something that I can only use with great difficulty.

And that would have been my first injector.

6. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

If you want to try an injector, types E, G, I, and J are all good to start with, IMHO.

7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It wasn't that I wanted an injector, I was more on the lookout for a travel razor. But I will keep that in mind.