I just can't go back...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Homebrewer816, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Homebrewer816

Homebrewer816 New Member

to any of my pre R-41 Grande razors. The Edwin Jagger and Merkur 23C just can't hold a candle to the r41. I've been using it since I received it on Father's Day of this year and decided to revisit the other razors last week and man, it jst doesn't feel "right". Has anyone else has an experience like this?

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Not with an R-41, but yeah, I know what you mean. I shave 7 times a week, some days I shave twice a day and much as I want to switch it up, 95% of the time I grab my fatboy to shave with. Of course the brushes and creams change daily, but I have my favorites there too.

3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Not yet, I find that each razor I regularly use has its own 'likeability'. So they each deserve their place in the round-up.

DaveL likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here. I know I have a few razors that will give super results EVERY TIME with an Astra SP loaded into 'em, but I use a different razor every day and a different blade every week. I like the variety. For me it's more about the journey than the destination.

JayPo007, alpla444 and DaveL like this.
  5. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I switch razors ever three shaves. That's how often I change blades.

6. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I normally switch razors with a blade change, all the razors I use are just as likable.

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

When you find what you like to use, other items become inconsequential. Enjoy your choice.

8. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

Homebrewer

I've got a couple of distinct favourites among my DEs - the scruffiest of my Fatboys, my old Bostonian, my open comb Aristocrat, and most recently my Big Fellow, are the ones most likely to come out of the drawer when I want a DE.

Among the straights the Le Coultre frameback is the one clear favourite

Now you've got me thinking, I'm going to have to go back and revisit a few things I haven't used recently!

Thanks

Graham

9. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Agree it's a nice razor. But each razor has it's own merit. (except for the Gillette '04 M that I have. Regardless of the blade, harshest razor I ever used!)

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Sort of. When one of my razors gets out of line and cuts me, I put it in The Punishment Box. They dislike that but a razor den without discipline is a dangerous, chaotic place. When they're contrite I speak soothingly to them, but that's for another thread.

Time for another Stag.

PLANofMAN, swarden43 and Smott like this.
  11. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

LOL :)