I made a Darwin Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gregindallas, Jul 23, 2012.

1. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

I bought a Fatip a little while ago and have been experimenting with it ever since. It is a nice enough razor but it’s a little persnickety as to shaving angle and the fit & finish is just adequate.

DSCN1907a.jpg

I’ve been digging through my junk box and building franken-razors with the only part of the Fatip I’m impressed with, that being the deck. The deck’s finish is far better than both the cap and the handle.
    DSCN1909d.jpg
    This morning, I dug out my old Merkur 33c travel rig I used about 10 years ago. I switched out the deck and set about “giving it a go” with this morning’s shave.
    DSCN1906b.jpg
    The balance turned out very good with only the slightest head heavy weighting. My hand said “I know this weight.” I shaved my neck first; with absolutely no angle issues common for the Fatip and my hand said “I know this feel.” After the neck, I started on the left side of my face and got about 2 strokes done when my brain finely said “you’re using the Darwin aren’t you?” It wasn’t but I could and I did. I got out the Darwin and did a stroke by stroke comparison for the rest of the shave.
    DSCN1911f.jpg
    A Fatip deck screwed into a Merkur 33c lid and handle is the closest thing to the shave performance of the Darwin Deluxe I have ever come across. So if you’ve wondered what a Darwin shaves like and you have the Fatip/Merkur parts, have at it.

DSCN1910e.jpg

2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

So.... if you aren't going to be needing your Darwin anymore...can I have it? :)

alpla444 and gregindallas like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't ballsy enough to say it. Deep waters, my friend, deep waters.:D

jeraldgordon and alpla444 like this.
  4. gregindallas

Uh...Nope.:D

lradke, wlmcad, GDCarrington and 2 others like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That Darwin...why would anyone want to shave with a table leg for a handle? :p

Seriously though, that's a sweet looking Enders you got in your Franken-box. Too bad no modern blade can fit it.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I can't help but notice that your junk box contains almost as many razors as my whole razor collection.:)

7. gregindallas

After about 12 yrs of collecting, I've got a lot. Back in the day (before razor collecting got "cool") EBay wins were usually anybody who actually bid. On the road, I bid away and came home to small mountians of boxes (granted about half those boxes had old German cameras in them).:D As often as not, I would bid/win a razor just to get a better look at it.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

After reading the OP, I just had to try something similar. I've been using my fatip quite a bit but felt it needed a little "something ".

So I took my newly purchased freedom hill handle, and let it play with a merkur 1904 cap and a fatip piccolo comb/deck.

Immediately I noticed less blade exposure than the fatip, and increased weight/balance. First shave was a serious success, ill stick to this for a while.

On a sidenote, I used a muhle r41 for almost a month straight - then the fatip took over. The force is very strong in this new frankenrazor, I just purchased the gold fatip to replace my piccolo, that will likely never be re-assembled.

9. neanderthal

neanderthal Member

I do this too, Fatip usually turns into some kind of BRW/Ikon handle Frankenrazor.