I must be dreaming...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lradke, Dec 5, 2011.

1. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Some of you may know, or have picked up on, that I have a brother in Japan. I don't hear form him too much and his replys to e-mail , etc, can be a bit unpredictable (note...he is busy with home improvement stuff). However the other day I got an email from him and after some oppinions on French shave soap, he got into the real purpose for writing. He watched the auctions in Japan for rare brauties to pick up and either flip, or send to me. That is where I got this gem from!

Getting back to the e-mail, he listed off a few razors he was watching and was wondering if I wanted any of them.

#1 Feather Artist Club Pro 25 (the father of the current Artist Club...not posting a pic)

#2 Feather Injector (cased)
    Feather Inj.jpg

#3 Feather DE No. 1200 (NOS)
    Feather DE.jpg

#4 Gillette DE (boxed)
    Gillette DE.jpg

I couldn't believe it! I didn't have an interest in the Gillette and my wife might use the artist club on me if I got it from him...and I really LOVE injectors...but what really stood out to me was the Feather DE. I have been drooling over them for years!:drool: I replied stating my interest in the Feather DE (if at all possible) and that I would really love to be the owner of it (my wife won't mind anoter razor as much if it comes from my bro ;)).

I haven't heard anything from him about if he won the auctions or not (I am positive he did though...), so unfortuately I can't comment any more on this.

I am wondering if any of you have had any experience with Feather DE's? If so what are your opinions on them?

fishcrow, Slivovitz, wyatt46 and 3 others like this.
  2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hmmm I'll prob get an erasmic shave stick from my brother if im lucky:), Great set of gifts thanks for sharing

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Does Feather still make injector blades??

4. lradke

You know...I have no idea. I haven't seen them on the Feather Shop, but then again I haven't looked for them there either.I have seen the Japanese packaged schick injector blades...but I will look into the Feather injector blades! :D

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet! Very sweet!!

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Wow, any or all of those would be great to own, hope your brother was lucky and I look forward to hearing he won. :)

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent! Enjoy them!

8. lradke

I look forward to hearing too! I have already written saying that I will be more than happy to take the injector and 1200 off his hands! :)

9. lradke

Sorry for the double post!

I have checked Feather's website and there is no sign of injector blades anywhere...just the artist club blades. I also poked around the Japanese auction sites, the best I could, and the only ones I could find were the Schick blades. I have contacted my brother though and I will see what he says.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  10. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna lie, that Feather injector is hot....

11. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I had a Feather 12oo. I bought in on ebay for $33 and sold it back for $25. It had a nice heft and was very solid and attractive . I had a difficult time finding info on it , in fact no info but the style made me think it was from the 60's or 70's, I think its chrome. The problem for me was the shave itself, very very aggressive, gave me major razor burn the couple of times I used it, burn so bad it put me off using it. You gotta get that injector , nice.

12. lradke

I hard form him this morning and as it turns out he won all the razors. I WILL be getting the injector there is no question about that:biggrin: , but he may decide to keep the Feather 1200.

In my brother's e-mail this morning, he said that Feather does not make injector blades anymore. The only blades to be had in Japan are Schick, and they are very expensive. Which is too bad, but I believe the injector comes with a NOS pack of Feather injector blades!

Dridecker and IAmTheJody like this.
  13. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Just catching up on this. What really interests me is that Feather injector razor. Are the injector blades it takes the "regular length" that also fit Schick injectors, or are they the extra long ones that the Artist Club uses?

Had no idea that such a razor was ever made. Just when you think you're getting to know this stuff...

I like the look of that DE razor too, would like to see more detail on the guard bar design. The only Feather DE I've used is the discontinued "Portable", which could still be bought cheaply a couple of years ago; it looks like a Gillette Tech, but is a bit more aggressive. I don't know how many models they made. Some eBay optimist was offering a couple of 1960s Feathers for around $400-$500 a while back, but didn't seem to be getting much interest.

14. lradke

I am positive the Feather takes regular injector blades. In fact my brother will be buying some schicks so he can try the razor out before sending it my way (he has absolutely no interest in injectors...that's why it's comming to me...right now anyway and I HOPE that doesn't change once he uses it :p ). I suspect he will be getting the razors today or tomorrow (mail in Japan is uber quick), and hopefully (fingers crossed) he will send it my way this weekend or early next week.

If/When I get it I'll take some good photos of it and post them.

15. IAmTheJody

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E6VHUQ/?tag=thshde-20

4 packs of 7 blades for a total of 28 blades for $16.97 and free shipping (equals 60 cents a blade) if you sign up for the Subscribe & Save feature (just remember to end the subscription later on).

16. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

How much is he wanting for the Artist Club?

That Feather injector reminds me of my Gillette Twinjector. Sweet. But what are "sputtom blades"?

17. lradke

Sorry, I didn't see this post until now. I don't remember the amount for the artist club, and as for Sputtom Blades...I don't really know...but I soon will, because.....

The razors arrived today! My wife sent me a message this morning letting me know! I can't wait to get home and post the pics.:bounce015:

PanChango likes this.
  18. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Very sweet gifts from your brother, great looking razors.

19. lradke

Here is the haul everybody! The DE looks amazing and the injector is pretty cool too! So the items are: a Feather injector with a full? Pack of feather injector blades; a Feather No. 1200 DE razor complete with original 2 blades and tag; a pack of 9 injector blades (my brother used 1 to test the razor)..there is also a feather shavette? In the pack of 5 Nos feather injector blades ; those 2 little packs are disposable Feather DE razors. I'll be posting this in the haul with better descriptions. Anyway I plan on using the DE tomorrow with a Feather blade to see how it goes!

The injector is all plastic save the metal head, and no that isn't a carbon steel blade, it is a piece of plastic in the place of the blade. It compares to the Shick L injector in both weight and size.

The 1200 is a heavy little beast. It feels a bit lighter than a Gillette slim adjustable. The razor head is really neat. Doing a dry run on my arm with a used personna blade, it seems like it may be somewhat of a mild shaver. At any rate, I am excited to use it tomorrow.

Here are some pics of the goods! :) (sorry if it seems they are at awkward angles...sometimes my phone doesn't save the edits )

uploadfromtaptalk1326931300614.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326931342590.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326931386998.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326931416781.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326931466812.jpg

20. IAmTheJody

Interesting. In your first pictures, the Feather is in a red case. Now it's in a blue case. I'm assuming there were more than one?