I need to get fixed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Single Wedge, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I have a prewar no notch Milord that has been used well. The problem is that the TTO knob on the bottom is very loose and actually plays up and down. Is there a fix for this? The reason that I ask is because I believe that razor is not tensioning enough and is causing a more aggressive shave than is necessary for that razor, which is causing me to rethink its rotation.

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I know with the Fatboys (another TTO) you can take them apart and fiddle around with them, though unless I knew exactly what I was doing I would avoid it. Depending on why it is loose it could be something simple as tightening a loose nut or whatever, or maybe the spring is going out or the threads of the screw or whatever.

Really hard to say though, especially with the older ones. Maybe a tinkerer around here can help.

3. Automaton-Tim

Automaton-Tim New Member

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

with many of the superspeeds if you look up their rear end ;) you will see what looks like a screw. You can actually take them apart with that screw, but note that it is reverse threaded. Turn right to loosen, left to tighten. Once you have it open clean the insides really well, it is possible some old shave gunk is stopping it from tightening all the way. With a nickel razor I would just tell you to boil it, but with gold, it will wash the gold right off. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

5. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Any special screwdriver? I'll go to it tonight. thanks large mac.

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

It depends on the razor. I have poor vision, so it was easiest for me to take a well lit picture, blow it up and see what I was working with. Some of them look like an X. They are not phillips, actually a flat head works great for them. Others are a bit more difficult, they look like an X with the center blocked out, so there are four small notches in the "corners" (I know circles don't have corners) Then the best way I have found to do it is take an old garage sale flat head and grind out the middle so it fits. Good luck!!!

7. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

With just reading the thread title I thought you were looking to be spayed. Oh boy.

8. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

:sihns011 :happy102

9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I don't recommend a flat head screwdriver for that. :happy097

10. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

No No Phillips head and barbicide.

Hammer optional:eek:

11. I think you mean nuddered ?

12. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Depends on how well you want to get to know me.:happy102

13. JayKay

Spayed? Nutered? I dont know. I've only owned reptiles.

I'd say go with the flat head.

14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I bought a lizard when I was a kid, the pet shop owner told me it was a male because it did this thing with it's neck... about a week later it laid eggs, and a few weeks later I had mini lizards. Get your reptiles spayed or neutered. :happy102

15. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Don't all men own "lizards"?:D

16. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

This thread went south so fast. :happy102

17. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

It took 16 posts. I seen threads go faster.:D

18. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I saw it go at 7... ;)

19. JayKay

She must have gotten lucky in the cage before you took her home. It went south about the time I chimed in. As so many threads do.

20. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I have also heard of this happening when some sort of internal retaining ring goes bad. I think there it some groove which this ring fits into which allows the TTO to turn while holding it in place. I saw a thread on it at another site a few months ago.