I really need help with shaving

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by retherenn, Sep 3, 2016.

1. retherenn

retherenn New Member

Hello guys. This is my first time posting in a forum like this. So sorry if this question is in wrong section. I am 24 years old male and I never had a father figure in my life. Well, I do have a "father" but he is alcoholic and doesn't give a s..t about me. So I had to learn to shave by myself. The thing is that I have a lot of trouble whit shaving my neck. So the problem I am having is if I shave with the grain, which is upwards motions up my neck there's still a lot of stubble left, but if I shave against the grain then I irritate my neck so much, that I can't touch it for couple of days. But I get a "clean" shave. I use gillette fusion proglide razor and gillette shaving cream. I have tried taking a shower before shaving, but then I still can't get all the stuble if shaving with the grain and if I shaved against the grain I irritate my face so much, that there's even some blood. I have also tried to shave with the grain and after that reapply shaving creme again and shave against grain, but it's no good, as I still irritate my neck. I am quite a hairy guy so I need to shave quite often. But right now there's three options for me. Shave without irritation with the grain but still have a lot of stubble on my neck. Get a "clean" shave against the grain but then not be able to touch my neck for couple of days because of all irritation. Or just don't shave at all. So I really hope that someone could give me some advice, on how to shave my neck and don't get any irritation. Thank you guys. P.S. Sorry for my english. It's really not my first language.

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hi and welcome aboard! Is the Fusion your only option or are you looking to get into traditional shaves? We'll get this straightened out, don't fret! ☺

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Firstly, yes, you are posting in the right place. Secondly, welcome! Many folks get irritation because they are using multi-blade cartridge razors. You might consider trying a double-edged safety razor (often just called a DE). Many guys get smoother, less painful shaves that way.

4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Welcome to TSD!

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Welcome.

I think that you can get good shaves out of damn near anything but you need to forget a lot of things you've taught yourself which can be tough to do. There is a lot of automatic response developed over the years.

This can be one of the most interesting journeys you take toward personal development next to a Tony Robbins seminar depending on how you want to take it. Many of us have found superb shaving opting for traditional DE shaving like @Sara-s mentioned above but many of us also use cartridges and other methods as well.

I'd say before you do anything else, make a map of your hair growth. Don't just look and try to recall but really draw a smiley face sitting on a neck and try and write down as accurately as you can what your growth is. Then evaluate the way you have been going about it. I'd say you are no doubt using pressure and pressure = irritation no matter what implement you are using. I hate canned goo and think that using a brush and soap/tubed cream is probably the best and fastest way to get improve a shaving routine but IF you are going to keep using canned goo I'd recommend Barbasol. It's cheap and good. The stuff they put in canned goo to make it fluff up isn't the best stuff for your face.

Using multiple passes is preferred with a DE but with a multi-blade cartridge contraption, it could lead to irritation BUT (!) I would recommend doing a multi-pass shave even with a cart but keep an eye on your pressure. You barely want any, just enough to let the razor work. Trust me (and most of us) on this, you are using pressure and carts enable pressure use.

I'd say to shower first to moisturize and clean your face area and soften the hairs.

Give this a shot (and any other advice you receive that you are comfortable trying) and let us know how it goes. I too am confident we can get you comfy. Good luck. You can do this!

Slipperyjoe, Pilotcld, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

This is definitely good advice. You can get a good, albeut cheap shave cream called "cremo" at walmart or target. Some places still have willians mug soap on their shelves as well. Both good start out choices.

I really benefitted from moving to a double edge razor and away from cartridge razors.

Walmart and target also have a full wet shave setup put out by van der hagen. It has a good shave soap, brush, brush stand, and apothecary mug to whip up a lather in. Its a one stop shop.

You may need a pre shave oil. One of the best is "shave secret," which is also at walmart or target.

You technique clearly needs work as mentioned above, but i would suggest going across the grain for your second pass..Not against the grain. You can also make an x-cross pattern across the grain...these are all less irritating than going against the grain.

7. George X

George X Well-Known Member

My neck has always been my trouble spot. With cart razors my shaves were particularly irritating. As battle.munky said use very light pressure. Pressure and cartridges pull the hair up from the skin and when the blades go by the stubble generally retreats below the skin. Razor bumps and irritation generally follow. With light pressure the stubble is more likely to stay above the skin allowing for another light and successful second pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

battle.munky likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Lots of good advice so far, so I'll just say: Welcome to TSD!

battle.munky likes this.
  10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Welcome,
    Youll get the hang of it. Just takes a while to learn .
    Stick with good prep
    Turn off any running water or fans if possible.
    Listen to your razor as it works.
    No preasure.
    Lots of water, reapply lather.
    Be happy with a good shave until you get softer hands.
    Itll all come together.

RyX, battle.munky and George X like this.
  11. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

welcome...and I am was in the boat as you, DE's have really helped me with that as carts would give me A LOT of irritation/razor burn on my neck, and electrics would cause soooo much irritation I would have to scratch my neck for days after...

battle.munky likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Glad you landed here. My suggestion to you is to try the cold water shave. Use the water as it comes from the cold faucet. Some add ice, but that is just for the fanatics, HA. Wash with cold water and rinse with cold water. Do think about going DE too. You don't need five blades scraping against your skin.
    Fellowship of Cold Water Shavers
    zwelcome1.jpg

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Many of us started with the VDH set. The one component of theirs I would suggest you don't purchase is the Ice Tempered DE blades. While someone out there may have gotten a good shave with them I don't recall anyone reporting thus. If you choose to go DE starter kit from Van Der Hagen, or that Pawn Shop Guy look for the store brand generic DE blades from Israel. They are made by Personna, also known as Reds. Not the most well loved, but generally found to be acceptable. You'll soon consider a Sampler Pack of assorted blades to try other's offerings.

14. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den! I'm new here as of April and I can tell you that you chose the absolute best place to come for advice and comradery! There is so much knowledge among the people in this group and they are always willing to help!
    DE razors are great. I also shave with a SR that I inherited. My brother in law had a really hard time with under-neck irritation until he started shaving with his DE. I love my van der Hagen set, but I feel the soap dries my face out (regular soap does as well) so I like shaving wth a creamier puck of soap or just cream (not from the can, from a tube that you squeeze into a mug and whip up your own lather with!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

battle.munky likes this.
  15. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I always thought of it this way (go with me on this for a second):

I use a DE or SR, each of which has just one blade on the face. I typically do 3 crosses; 1 wtg, 1 xtg, and 1 atg. That's technically 3 blade passes. A 5 blade cart (such as the fusion has 5). Thats would be 15 blade passes versus 3. That's 5x the irritation to the skin. It's no wonder why the skin gets so red-colored, irritated, and filled with ingrown hairs. Of course, add on the fact that your are controlling the angle and sharp blade under control with a de or sr, and cross it against 5 blades with far less control just scraping across your face. Just sayin...

Seriously, get a better blade

BeShaved, barbersurgeon, RyX and 2 others like this.
  16. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

This ️. I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

battle.munky likes this.
  17. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD.

You've a lot of good advice above. Pick what you think you may try a stick with it for at least s few days.

We are all real good at telling others what to try but we forget to mention not to change everyday.

Good luck. Most of us hated shaving at one point, now it's a hobby.

battle.munky and Norcalnewb like this.
  18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Some very good advice in this post!

battle.munky likes this.
  19. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

If you need some fatherly shaving advice you've come to the right place. Be optimistic, persistent and don't be afraid to try out new things and I'm sure you'll be shaving like a king in no time..welcome to TSD!..
    [​IMG]

battle.munky likes this.
  20. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

Do you use an aftershave?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk