I received a MONSTER in the mail

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Misphit, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I opened the mail Friday to find my new UTOPIA Double Edged Safety Razor had arrived from Amazon. What initially drew me was the price at a reasonable $9.99 with free shipping and the for that price I expected a cheap razor in the Feather or Weishi vein but boy was I wrong. When I pulled it out of the mailbox it was so heavy I didn't know what it was. I immediately brought it upstairs and compared it to my Edwin Jagger DE98L and my Merkur 33 and it was by far the most solid. The razor is made out of solid turned brass and the chrome knurled handle feels sturdy. In side by side comparison the heads of the Edwin Jagger and Utopia are almost identical. The Utopia handle is 4" long and the 117 g weight feels really good in my hands. I had a chance to shave with it the past few days and it was such a good shave with the weight adding a missing dimension to my experience. The handle fit on my Gillette New and Edwin Jagger DE89l heads so swapping it out for use with different razors should not be an issue. It box says it is made in Pakistan and has no makers marks on the handle or head.

Please see the comparison picture below. The razors order in all pictures go Merkur 33 , Edwin Jagger De89l, and Utopia.

!Utopia.jpg Weight Comparison.jpg Comparison.jpg Handles.jpg View Apart.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  2. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    HO LEE COW! Worth it for just the handle. Congrats and thanks for the tip!

PatrickA51 and Misphit like this.
  3. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

:signs136:

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You ain't kiddin' when you say MONSTER!
    Enjoy!!

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I gotta try that handle. For the low cost, nothing ventured…nothing gained. ;)

PatrickA51 and Omelmad like this.
  6. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

That looks like a Sabi razor. If anything, the handles are very similar. The Sabi handle that I have is nice and heavy- but the shaving head was not so great. Ended up throwing away the head and keeping the handle.

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Just ordered one for me... Thanks a lot...

Metro and PatrickA51 like this.
  8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

That thing looks good. And on the plus side, with that weight if it doesn't shave well you can always use it to club food to death!

imGrunt and maltedmilk like this.
  9. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Boots with safety toes may be necessary lest ye drop that bomb on yer foot!

10. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Wow, that is a monster! I'm dubious about the head, but that handle is tempting!

11. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

You are not kidding!! Ordered this a few minutes ago...free shipping and a 10 pack of Derby extra red blades...never tried them but it's free

Misphit likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I received my Utopia razor in the mail and have already used the handle on my Mühle. For the price, it is a terrific value.
    Heavy in the hand, good length and, as evident in the Misphit's photos above, nicely knurled texture.
    The Utopia handle rivals those other handles out there for about 1/4 the price. I probably won't be using the razor head, but the handle is pretty darn good.

[​IMG]

Paulie, GDCarrington, Misphit and 2 others like this.
  13. Dr. Tim Wilkins

Dr. Tim Wilkins Active Member

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Utopia as well. Hope that it shows up today!

14. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

Received my Utopia razor today and I am very happy with the handle. Sometimes a gamble does pay off.

Thanks for the review Misphit!! :happy036:

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. KingColliwog

KingColliwog New Member

So... Anyone tried the head, how was it?

16. Shoebooty

Shoebooty Member

looks like I'm going to have to place an order in myself for that price and free shipping and 10 free blades how can u go wrong!!

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    utopia5.JPG
    I received my Utopia yesterday and actually shaved with it. I used a new Astra. One thing I noticed is that the blade does not automatically line up. Fortunately, I saw that before the shave. I aligned it parallel to the safety bar and had a decent shave. I may not shave with the head again, but the handle is a real keeper. It fits most of my 3-piece razors.
    utopia1.JPG

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    GDCarrington and Misphit like this.
  18. Dr. Tim Wilkins

Dr. Tim Wilkins Active Member

My Utopia arrived today! Pretty excited about it. I am going to use it tonight. Thanks for the heads up, Misphit!

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I put the Utopia handle on my EJ89 and I really like the results. This week is Utopia-EJ89 week for me.
    utopia6.JPG

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The Utopia handle will remain on the 2011 R41 until further notice. With the new handle, the R41's weight & feel is much more like the Barbasol Floating head—a razor I really enjoyed using. :happy088:

GDCarrington, Misphit and Jayaruh like this.