I require assistance finding a mild SE razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark, Aug 29, 2014.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I want to find a mild SE razor. The reason being I will be using it to shave my head. I currently use a Tech/Bulldog hybrid.

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I suggest a GEM featherweight. I haven't looked in some time, but you used to be able to get them in really good condition cheap.

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Schick I injector or later.

4. BigMark

I would prefer a GEM or ER. I can purchase blades locally and the price is still bearable.

5. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

in that case, GEM Push Button. The FW is also mild but it has a lot more blade exposure. It has a shorter less textured handle.

KnockOut Shave and gorgo2 like this.
  6. BigMark

Now I feel like a fool. A seller on Etsy has a bunch of NOS GEM PBs for sale months ago. Only 20 bux each. :(

7. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Any of the modern SE razors are going to be milder than the older ones in my opinion, but it really depends on the angle that you use with the older SE razors... they can be very mild if your angle is correct for a mild shave. A Featherweight or Push-Button or Contour would be mild enough if you want a newer one.

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

It's true that the more modern ones are generally milder, but I also find the GEM Damaskeene 1912 to be very mild and efficient at the sametime....I honestly believe everone deserves to try one....Many believe it to be the greatest razor of all time....It's one of those....};^)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

cpool222 nailed all three.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I find the 1912's a bit on the harsh side. But that's me; another case of YMMV.

I would also recommend the Featherweight or a Clog Pruf, both made by GEM.

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Oh heck. I'd go with a G-Bar. Mild and forgiving. :cool:

geeeyejo and GDCarrington like this.
  12. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Steve, have you tried the Damaskeene version of the 1912? Mine is far milder than any 1912 I've seen. Even milder than my Feather Weight....Mine is definitely a pre 1919 model and very smooth and relaxed...;) A real pussy cat...

13. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Actually, I think the DAMASKEENE may be just about my favorite razor of all time... they're getting a little pricey though

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No, I haven't. I'll keep an eye out for one.

15. KnockOut Shave

KnockOut Shave Well-Known Member

GEM push button all the way! Best SE razor. Mild but efficient.