I Selected a Razor...Finally

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by scott wein, Dec 19, 2011.

1. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

After much consternation, in my search for a razor, I kept seeing
    the word "Slant."

The first dealer I was communicating with lacked phone service so it was difficult to communicate my needs v good old fashioned talking.

So I called Shoe Box Shave and it was determined that I should go with a slant.

As I do not like a long handle, I selected the Merkur 37 Slant, which has the same head as the Sledgehammer.

Both the Jagger and I look forward to our new brother I expect the two razors to compliment each other well.

Thanx to everyone for putting up with me, and thank you Gary and Shoe Box for still providing REAL CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I also bought Proraso soap and a Milk Fat Shower Bar as it helps with my skin between dermatologist appointments.

I can hardly wait:bounce015:

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Gary at Shoebox will do right by you! Excellent supplier choice!

scott wein likes this.
  3. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Congrats, Scott, on your decision! I have a sledgehammer and it gives me great shaves. Good luck with it and may it provide you with many superb shaves.

scott wein likes this.
  4. newb

newb Resident Newb

Wishing you all the best with your new slant. I have a vintage merkur slant and I find it gives excellent shaves.

scott wein likes this.
  5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

May you have many excellent shaves with your new slant!

I am in total agreement with you about Gary and Shoebox Shaveshop. Their selection, ease of ordering and great customer service are second to none.

scott wein likes this.
  6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice choice:drool: A slant in on my shopping list for 2012

scott wein likes this.
  7. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

I understand that the slants are pretty aggressive, is that right? I haven't tried one.

scott wein likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That's why I sold mine.

scott wein likes this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I didn't find them overly aggressive at all.

To me the slant shaved like the HD, but a little more effective.

Take your time and use a light touch and all will be fine.

Just one of those YMMV things. Different strokes.

tomnat, battle.munky and scott wein like this.
  10. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

+1

scott wein likes this.
  11. scott wein

We shall see Steve. I have friends who have told me as Dale has, that it is in the touch. My hope is that I can get my chin and neck done without needing that 4th pass and touch up.

God gave me hair, lots of it...and kept it on my head too ;)

12. scott wein

And I bought a Cella Soap...I said Proraso above. Too much multitasking. I have used a sample or too and just loved it.

13. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Scott, off topic a bit, but have you tried the RazoRock soaps yet? If not and you like Cella, I'd bet you'll love RR. :santa

scott wein likes this.
  14. scott wein

thanx randy. i have seen them and didn't know much about them. i will definitely check out the reviews. I have only used a Cella sample but I liked it very much so I selected it as my soap to go with my razor.

I thank you very much.

15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Congratulations...waiting for pictures and review...:)

scott wein likes this.
  16. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Gary is pretty awesome, my free goodies (Tabac cream, PdP soap, and some lotion samples) plus the Christmas sale plus the gift wrapping made my day, hell week haha.

scott wein likes this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hope it works for you.
    Some folks like that aggression; they have their adjustables set at W I D E open and love it.
    I'm right in the middle - not too mild, not too wild.

scott wein likes this.
  18. scott wein

Bird and Aaron...thank you. Aaron, congrats on the holiday goodies and samples.

Steve, now that I have added the Saftey to my wet shave and have been doing so for six months, and studied at the feet of my Grandfather, I hope this works.

I am in the middle too but am being told that with technique, it is way tamer then say an R41 and would be a 5-6 o the aggression scale assuming my theory that my Jagger is a 2.5, and the R41 is a 10.

I will now soon enough and if it is not for me, I will find it a new home and continue the search.

But I hope it is for me and I hope my skills r up to the challenge.

19. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Wow, I can't believe I missed this! Scott, congrats my friend. It is a really nice razor and I think like Dale said, use a light touch and you'll be fine. Really good razor and even though I have the sledge, I have an HD too and think the handle will be fine for you, it's really a good handle.

scott wein likes this.
  20. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

+2

scott wein likes this.