I shimmed my 34c

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Chaddy187, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    To those who shim and get good results, I say congratulations. Personally, I would rather find the perfect razor that is used as was designed--and satisfies my needs---rather than jerry-rig one. I am not into "experimenting" with cold-sharp steel on my baby-smooth face. :angelic007:

PLANofMAN, swarden43 and GDCarrington like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Well the old three piece Gillettes were designed to adjust blade exposure with a quarter turn of the handle (albeit with much thicker blades than modern examples).

While I personally don't use shims, I find them to be a safer option than Gillette's early "adjustable" razor design. Some things are common sense...others are marketing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

I shimmed it with two more shims so thats a total of 4 shims but still not much better. Should I go straight to the r41 or what? I would by a ATT razor or ikon. I don't mind spending a few hundred dollars for something that works and I would use about everyday.

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You might as well get an 2013 R41. You will never know until you try.

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

You can use multiple shims without fear. I've used as many as 5 on my EJ89. :) Just pay mind to @PLANofMAN's advice. The Muhle R41 and Merkur37 Slant are also rather aggressive IMO. A shavette is pretty aggressive also.