If you're early you're on time...

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by COMPNOR, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Jarvis

Jarvis Active Member

I too am always early. I view being late as disrespectful to the person I'm meeting with. I've rather be early and wait than be late for a meeting or appointment. These days though it seems most people have no problem being late.

COMPNOR likes this.
  2. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Ditto! 30 years in the Army here. If you invite me to dinner at 6 p.m. - I'll be in front of your house parked sitting in my car 15 minutes before that time. At exactly 6 p.m. I'll ring your door bell. I am always amazed when I do this and the host says "oh you're here already".

COMPNOR likes this.
  3. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Yep. My friends host an annual Halloween party. I am generally the first one there. Even when I plan on intentionally being late (like when they say show up anytime after 7, so I try and show up after 7) I am still there before anyone else.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Col C likes this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

There are several regions in this world where you don't want to go then ;)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Not sure if always arriving as the first guest is a good gesture. There is such a thing like "too early". But cultures differ, so it's risky to give an opinion, of course.

In any case, no offense intended!

6. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Im with you. I was raised that way and now, as an adult, one of my pet peeves is people being late.

7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Last week I learned again that French managers will usually be fashionably late, to underscore their higher status

8. COMPNOR

And that is why they lost both world wars.

Yes I'm kidding.

9. Badgerstate

That would annoy me. The boss should always be the one who is the first one to arrive and the last one to leave.

Col C likes this.
  10. Badgerstate

If that were the case, Germany would have won both world wars.

11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

That's different cultures for you

To be fair, that ritual would not go down well in e.g. Scandinavian countries. Or in Germany indeed.

Besides, saying that all French managers do this would be a generalisation too. But it's not uncommon, and it somewhat reflects the French management style.

12. Badgerstate

Yeah, that wouldnt work. I guess thats the German in me. ;) Ive got a boss now who likes to take the lazy way out more often than not and it drives me crazy sometimes.

13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Having a strict schedule, I find it rather irritating when I have a scheduled appointment at a specified time; the person shows up 15 minutes early and announces themself. To me the same consequences as showing up 15 minutes late. Bear in mind, time on both ends of the appointment are valuable.

I also served in the military and one thing I learned; I will never again wait in line to get fed :D Sorry for the thread drift......

14. COMPNOR

Well except I don't find it equally offensive. If I'm 15 minutes early for a four o'clock appointment I don't expect to be seen until 4. However if I do get to be seen earlier, that is either more time to discuss matters, finishing the appointment earlier and being done for the day for both parties. Plus depending on the appointment early allows me to fill out any necessary paperwork.

Where as if I'm late, everything shifts to the right. YMMV

15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Personally I find either late or early "offensive". Pretty strong words, when a dose of patience would be better served. IMHO

16. Badgerstate

It depends. If you invite someone to your house for dinner and they show up 2 hours early, that is kind of a no-no.

17. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I'm retired now but (also a stint in the Army) throughout my working life I always arrived 30 minutes prior to the start of the day or meetings. I always liked to have time to settle in and gather my thoughts, get organized, etc. On the very rare occasion I arrived just-in-time (or late) it ruined my day and I never fully recovered. To me "just-in-time" worked for the inventory but not for personnel.

Col C and COMPNOR like this.