If you've ever wondered what the 1-9 on adjustable razors actually meant...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Sep 13, 2016.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you've ever wondered where the 1-9 adjustment system came from and why it wasn't 1-10 or 1-6 or whatever, I know the answer.

The gap on Gillette adjustable razors was measured with blades.
    Specifically, the current production blade for that model of razor. (Other companies that manufactured adjustable razors followed the same formula, using their own razor blades).

A Fatboy set on 9 should have a gap between the safety bar and doors of exactly 9 super blue blades stacked on top of each other.

This information comes straight from a gentleman who worked for Gillette during the 1950's and '60's.

It's also why the slots on TTO razors are a hair bigger than the tabs on the end of a blade.

So, if you have original era blades for your adjustable razor, you can check it's alignment yourself.

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Nice write.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey, waffen and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Very interesting. Thanks!

Douglas Carey, waffen and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Good info. Still wonder who decided on 9 vs 6 or 12 or 4...

Herm

Douglas Carey and waffen like this.
  5. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

Very interesting, thanks for posting. I noticed that on 9 the blade is basically flat with no pressure on it causing it to bend. Way too aggressive for my 24 hour old beard. I would rather shave with an OC razor when my beard gets too long than an adjustable set to 9.

Demidog and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I can answer that too. It basically came down to how many threads could be squeezed into the adjustment dial. When they ran out of threads, it stopped on 9.

With today's manufacturing technology, a person could squeeze in another number and a half, to get 10.5 out of it. The razor would have to be manufactured to tighter tolerances than the original, otherwise there would be virtually no pressure on the blade at that point.
    Case in point. ^^^ The head would have to be redesigned to a flatter, thinner profile in order to eke any more adjustment out of it. Which is what they did with the super adjustable, to some extent. It can be made more mild and more aggressive than the Fatboy, though this is offset by the lightness of the razor when compared to a Fatboy.

Heavier razors feel more aggressive, all other things being equal.

7. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Mine goes to 11.
    (Movie reference)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

wow interesting. You are a wealth of information

Douglas Carey likes this.
  9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Your knowledge never fails to amaze me..:happy096:

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  11. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'm not buying this. What blade for what razor? Where would you be with say a 1972 super adjustable, which blade would be the standard? Or 1966 Slim? Perhaps it was an initial guide, maybe, but once the design was set that would be it. Keep the original gap throughout the line? Or change it as the razor progressed. And what about the Toggle? Sorry Plan, nice story but it doesn't work logically.

12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  13. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

Ok, I just tried this with my 1962 slim, but I had better results measuring the gap between an installed blade and the safety bar. So, with a dull blade in the razor, I used stacked dull blades as feeler gages.
    Here are the results:

Setting ..... Gap(number of blades)
    9 = 9blades
    7 = 8 blades
    5 = 5 blades
    3 = 4 blades
    1 = 2 blades

So, with all of the possible errors considered, I'd say that's pretty dog-gone close.

14. Jay S

Jay S Active Member

That makes it sharper...right?

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It would be the most modern blade in use by the company at the time of initial full production.

Obviously this doesn't work for the 1-5 dial razors, which should be considered prototypes or regional testbeds rather than full production razors.

I'm just repeating what I was told. It made sense to me. You can choose to believe or disbelieve, it makes no nevermind to me.

16. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I haven't heard that expression in ages. Thanks for a happy memory of someone.

17. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

You are 'da man! I love this forum for info just like this.

Herm

Douglas Carey and PLANofMAN like this.
  18. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Well, it's 2 sharper isn't it? It's not 9....

Douglas Carey and barbersurgeon like this.
  19. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Sounds like the way they made the first Harley

20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Just to clarify: This is the way they still make Harleys.....