Ikon X3 Slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Linuxguile, Jul 19, 2016.

1. blitz

blitz Member

Thx. That's what I'm looking for. Same efficiency as the 37c but easier on the face.

much appreciated. looking forward to it.

Bill G likes this.
  2. blitz

blitz Member

on a scale of 1-10 where would the X3 rank compared to the 102 and the 37c?

Bill G likes this.
  3. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

tuxxdk

I agree with your take 100% concerning the Ikon X3 after shaving with it again concerning it compaired to the Merkur 37C and even the 39C razors. I would like to add and say the X3 is so smooth one wants to use more pressure than necessary and I would say that's a habit one wants to break with this razor (the lightest touch or pressure on the razor is all that's needed). It would be easy to over do it with pressure on this razor and in return that could cause some light razor burn. For me the X3 is lightly audible when its cutting well. At least with my beard growth its that way. I think after a few more shaves on the X3 I will have a complete understanding of its nuances. I like the Ikon X3 a lot and it rates right in there with my ATT S1 slant followed by my Merkur 37C & 39C razors. All great slants with there own nuances in my opinion. I do have to say the Ikon X3 with the SE handle is one of the best looking slants I have.

Also this is a reply to blitz,

I said I would get back with you concerning the Ikon X3 and my take on it after another shave or two. I hope you read all of this and I hope it helps. I think you will love the Ikon X3 after you spend some time with it (and learn it). I like it more every time I shave with it.

Happy Shaves All,
    Bill G

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  4. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Compaired to the 37C I would rate it a 10 for me. I don't own or have never shaved with the 102.

blitz,
    I also answered your other question in my reply to the posting above this one that I said I would get back with you on.

Take Care & Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

5. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Yes it would fit just fine. I also have the Weber Classic handle in my collection of handles no issues at all with fitting the Ikon X3 head.

Take Care,
    Bill G

tuxxdk and Linuxguile like this.
  6. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I agree with the pressure as well. It's really not needed but easily mistaken as is.

I cannot wait to get home and get an X3 shave again.

AGHisBBS, Bill G and Linuxguile like this.
  7. blitz

blitz Member

thx. appreciate the response

Bill G likes this.
  8. gms541

gms541 Member

Just received my X3 head yesterday and used it with a Weber Classic handle, this morning at 5o'clock. Very close and comfortable. No nicks or anything. Here it is going on 4pm and my face is still smooth. I love the fact that I no longer have to worry about scrapes from the blade tabs. Why doesn't everyone make their razors extend over the tabs?

Bill G, AGHisBBS and Linuxguile like this.
  9. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Well a quick follow up to my posted opinions in this thread on my Ikon x3. I will make it quick after spending some time now with it I feel it still falls just right behind my ATT S1 with the Ikon OSS handle on it in giving me a great shave. I can still shave faster and a little smoother with less chance of any irritations with my ATT S1 ( Come to think of it I never really get irritation with the ATT S1 Razor). The x3 is a little harder to work around my chin and jaw line were the ATT S1 is no problem. Both these razor give me a close shave and both are great looking.

Happy Shaves To All,
    Bill G

Linuxguile and tuxxdk like this.
  10. Technium

Technium Active Member

I appreciate the comments on pressure and not to be fooled by the lack of blade feel. I've got one starting on its journey this way as of Tuesday. Really looking forward to giving it a spin.

11. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Italianbarber.com got them back in stock today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I got mine yesterday. I found the first couple strokes really mild until I got bit. I noticed that when looking straight on at the blade the right blade corner is flush with the comb but the left side sticks up just a bit. This is the same on both sides. I've only used a Personna Blue so far so maybe a different blade will sit better.
    Anyone else see something similar with theirs?

Linuxguile likes this.
  13. Technium

Technium Active Member

I've had good luck with my Astra SPs. Haven't been bit yet. Though I do shave with the music, bathroom fan and water off so I'm able to hear the small amount of feedback I get with the X3. I'll take a look to see if I notice more gap on the left sides next time I use it.

14. gms541

gms541 Member

Changed from the Weber handle to my standard length from the R89. This thing is now weightless!! Shaves are still extra close but I have a problem with pressure, so I'm getting irritation here and there. It seems if I'm shaving on my dominant side, I'm a lefty, I'm using more pressure. I guess it's just gonna take more practice.

15. Guy Woodall

Guy Woodall Active Member

I tried mine on Sunday with a dorco blade, it was definitely more aggressive than the Mekur 37c, a couple of weepers. Good shave. I may try a Derby for a couple of days to improve my technique.

16. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Anybody tried to head shave with the X3 yet?