Imperial handle modified to metric

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Jul 16, 2016.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Hello

I have a razor with 10-30 imperial threads on both head and handle. The handle fits on some of my other metric (M5x0.8) heads but not all (binding due to the larger thread-diameter). Pitch is within 1%, so not that much different. For instance, it fits my EJ head perfectly, but not my Merkur head (binds, but can thread on).

I know many (all?) after market stainless steel handles are metric and people use them with great success on older Gillettes that are imperial.

Are there any downsides to opening up a handle from it's born imperial drilling, to metric, to make it fit all heads out there?

2. HUF

HUF Active Member

As a rule, female M5 x 0.8 works with male 10-32, but female 10-32 may not work with male M5 x 0.8 thread. I would not modify existing thread. There are so many handles available.

3. tuxxdk

I understand your sentiment regards the issue with the abundance of handles available.

But I'm really interested in using my existing handle, hence my question. Also, my money-growing tree hasn't been able to sprout :(

Since the smaller 10-30 works within the slightly larger M5, as per my trial'n'error last night, I'm not really seeing why it would be a bad thing to make an existing handle M5, when the after market ones are also M5.

Actually, all my M5 heads works flawless (no binding) on my 10-30 handle, except for the Merkur. I don't know what's up with that Merkur, because it doesn't even fit on my other M5 head and handles vice-versa.

4. HUF

HUF Active Member

My first reply was not helpful, indeed. The pitch of 10-32 is 0.794 mm which is virtually 0.8 mm. The diameter of 10-32 is 4.826 mm. I am pretty sure you can tap the existing female 10-32 thread with a metric M5 x 0.8 tap. I would take a 1/2 inch stud with female 10-32 thread and tap it first to see what happens, anyway.

tuxxdk likes this.
  5. tuxxdk

So, assuming I'm tapping the handle and not destroying anything, are there any downsides to using such handle with 10-30 heads? It seems to be what people do all the time.

I toyed around last night some more. My 10-30 handle fits all my heads, M5 and 10-30 heads, perfectly (no binding and still a small play present before tightening up), except for the Merkur. Funny thing is, the Merkur handle doesn't fit my other M5 heads, so something's afoot with that Merkur dimensions. It should be M5, but it seems larger than the other M5's I have. Perhaps the notorious "bad" plating on Merkur is just too thick to play along with the EJ for instance. I dunno.

I'm not sure at the moment I even need to enlarge the handles threads. It has a satin finish that'll go awesome together with my coming Ikon X3's satin finish, hence my jibber jabber. If it fits that head like it fits my other heads, there's no problems at all. I read somewhere that Ikon's aluminium heads are slightly undersized on it's threads to help people not cross thread it with the supplied stainless steel handle, but I cannot confirm that anywhere, only hearsay.

Before I go on with anything, I'll definitely take your advice and tip into action. Great tip trying on another piece first before messing with the beloved handle. Thanks!

6. HUF

HUF Active Member

You are welcome. Home Depot may have such standoffs. McMaster-carr definitely will have some as well. http://www.mcmaster.com/
    Can't say about Merkur (I do not like the quality of their razors at all), but Fatip had some strange compatibility issues.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  7. tuxxdk

Yeah, Fatip is a whole other story.

I think out workshop at work has all the remedies. I know we carry metal-studs in various materials, and I know they have some imperial tools, dies and taps (I'm from Denmark, we're all metric here). If not then I will get it online. If not for this experiment, then for salvaging threads on future buys that may or may not be in need :)

Tinker tinker. I know where this'll lead.. soon I'm standing over the lathe, turning my own handles. I just know it... haha.