Info on razor and brush set

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PLAla, Nov 13, 2016.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Fellow denizens,

Does anyone recognize this set or have information on it? My parents brought this home to me from my great-uncle's home. They were cleaning out and found this. It looks unused. The bottom of the box has a Nordstrom price tag with the price blacked out, almost as if someone received it as a gift. A small insert by Surrey was included in the box, but it talks about a shave soap and other items that aren't in here. Could be in there by mistake.

There is a cartridge razor and brush in the set.

IMG_0937.JPG

Here is the razor by itself. Are any cartridges available today to fit this? It slides on. The one included is a two-blade plastic cartridge.

IMG_0939.JPG

Brush and razor together. The brush handle is quite heavy.

IMG_0938.JPG

In the box were two sets of DE razor blades. They can't fit this razor, so I found that odd. These are interesting to me, particularly the ones marked U.S. Gov't. My great-uncle served in the medical field during in WWII and perhaps Korea. He continued that career as a civilian.

IMG_0940.JPG

Any information you may have on any of this would be appreciated!!

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Out of curiosity, is the brush handle and possibly razor handle made of ceramic?

Douglas Carey and PLAla like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I can't tell for sure with the cover on the cartridge, but it looks like a Trac II cartridge. If that is what it is, they can still be bought on Amazon (Personna) at a really reasonable price. Like 100 for $17 or some such. Cheap as DE's.

I bought an old Schick handle and some carts a while back. They actually gave a pretty nice shave too. My wife ended up stealing it for the shower.

It is a really pretty handle. Congrats on the find!

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. That's a razor and brush set.

Seriously, sorry, I have no clue. Love that blue, though. Very cool :happy088:

5. PLAla

They don't feel like ceramic. But, they have pretty good weight, more so than a polymer would have. I guess my answer is I don't know!

6. PLAla

Thanks, I'll look at Trac II online and see if they look similar to this one.

7. jimjo1031

il_570xN.423722051_ii4i.jpg
    The reason I asked is because I have a ceramic brush from Royal Shave, London. No markings, just the same type of cobalt blue that you have with gold markings. And they were sold in sets with a Trac II type handle and mug, also ceramic. Although different style, very similar.

Douglas Carey, PLAla and macaronus like this.
  8. PLAla

Yes, definitely similar. The Surrey insert included in the box says Leander, Texas. But it also mentions a mug, brush, and soap combination. That is clearly different than this razor and brush combo, so I'm think the Surrey instruction sheet belonged to a different set.

Douglas Carey and jimjo1031 like this.
  9. jimjo1031

Could also mean the distributor of the set, just a guess.

PLAla likes this.
  10. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Surrey of Leander TX was a utility-grade brush and soap manufacturer like EverReady or Rubberset or Williams that was in business from the 1920s or so until it finally went out of business about a decade ago.

PickledNorthern and PLAla like this.
  11. PLAla

Update. I enlisted the help of Jim (@Jayaruh) to give the brush some new life. The knot that came with this set was a bad shedder. Jim took it out and procured a new finest two-band badger knot. He installed it and sent it back to me. I now have a new brush using the original handle. I really enjoy it!

See Jim's thread about the new knot HERE. I am enjoying the brush a lot!

Here it is in action in a few SOTD pictures:

SOTD 2-28-17.JPG

SOTD 2-27-17.JPG

SOTD 3-1-17.JPG

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Sorry Perry, but I haven't got a clue about identifying your set. I also have a set I'd like to identify. It is also a Trac II and the brush has a brass handle.
    Brush and razor set.jpg

Brush and razor set b.jpg

178-bplatoon and PLAla like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have a set that looks like that except has a fox scene on the brush and razor handle. It has worn off now but it use to say Hoffritz on it. All I find in a search is vintage slants mostly. But I am sure that is what this razor had on it at one time.

14. PLAla

That's fairly similar to mine. That looks pretty cool, Doug! Those handles are very interesting.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

It's my understanding that the Trac II was popular in the late 80's and 90's. I have searched eBay for sets like your and mine, but haven't found anything. I'll let you know if I do Perry. You set look great also. I'll probably have to re knot mine also. I picked this set up for $13.00. I figured the wooden case was worth that.

PLAla and Screwtape like this.
  16. PLAla

Update to this thread and story:

Jim (@Jayaruh) beautifully added a knot to the brush handle as evidenced in previous posts. It's my favorite brush. Soft, luxurious knot with a heavy handle. Blue is also my favorite color.

My father called today to let me know that my great-uncle passed away today. He was the owner of this set. He was 96 years old and passed peacefully in his recliner while watching TV. I did not know him well and only met him once to my knowledge, but I'm thankful to have a piece of history and to have given the brush new life.

One day soon I'll shave with the razor handle with a Trac II cartridge. But for now I'm glad to let Uncle Tom's possessions have new life.

17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’m sorry to hear of your great uncle’s passing. You do have a nice razor and brush to use in memory of him.

18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Sorry to hear of your uncle's passing, but it sounds like he had a good run. God bless.