injector curiosity

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by billdog2, Jun 21, 2015.

1. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

I`ve been researching injector blades/dispensers and I came across a way to use mini hair shaper blades in my injector at a much lower cost. My question is: are they the same size as my regular injector blades? Anyone familiar with this method? Please let me know.

Thank you and God Bless

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Hair shaper blades are much longer than injector blades and possibly thicker. Injector type blades for tissue sectioning and microscopy use, however, are exact fits.

3. billdog2

I`m sorry Richard if you misunderstood what I said. I was referring to the "mini hair shaper". They look much shorter. Thanks for the tip on tissue sectioning. I will research that possibility.

Thank you and God Bless

richgem likes this.
  4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Same blades but no key on the dispenser. That makes them tough to load unless you have an old dispenser to put the new blades in.

gorgo2 likes this.
  5. billdog2

You mean that the "mini shaper" blades are the same as the Schick blades? If so, then I`m in good shape, because I have 2 old dispensers, one is plastic so I can cut a portion out of the back to push new blades through from the keyless dispenser, while holding down the spring. I can make a jig to hold both dispensers end to end. You have to remember that this is just guesswork on my part. I`ll have to experiment and let you know what happens.

Thanks for the info and God Bless

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Mini hair shaper blades are the same as Injector blades, yes. Easier to find, and generally cheaper, too.

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  8. billdog2

Thanks for the info AND Jayaruh`s method, I`ll try that one first, but I think I can transfer mini blades straight through the back. I have a lot on my plate right now, but I`ll get around to it later, wish me luck.

Thanks and God Bless

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Or you've modified a Hydro-Magic or an earlier drop-open Schick to accept hand-loaded loose blades. Then it's a piece of cake. :)

10. billdog2

I`ve never heard of a drop-open Schick. What I think I can do is to push the mini blades through the back of a plastic dispenser or rig some way to push them in the front by turning the mini dispenser upside down. I just need a way to keep everything clamped together. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks for the information.

Thanks and God Bless

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You're most welcome. The Schick is one of the earlier models (I think it was the "E", I parted with mine a few years back) that has a bail/lever on the bottom of the head that drops open the lower "jaw." I used to load up the loose blades I had that way. Much easier than fiddling with the flimsy modern magazines. The Hydro-Magic has two blade retainer pins which require a slight Dremel mod to let it do the same thing. The "E" was my go-to injector until I found the Pal (which cannot be so modified), then the Hydro-Magic, which I prefer because of the grippy handle.

12. billdog2

I have a Schick j1 and a personna with a pivot head. I need the pivot to adjust for my essential tremors. The J1 is probably the smoothest shave I`ve ever had. I take medication for the tremors, it helps but doesn`t last long so I need the pivot to clean up. I also have a bunch of de razors but nothing that pivots. Thanks again for the information. I`ll figure something out(I hope).

God Bless