Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I plan on doing my part to celebrate the birthday of one of the finest razors ever made!

BudWhite and Jayaruh like this.
  2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

What are your thoughts Tom? I'm with you....Whatever you think is Cool, I'm with you!!
    also......I like the cake idea...one cake of shaving soap to shave with and one chocolate cake to eat....Has to be Chocolate so I don't get them mixed up and eat the ARKO...
    :eek:
    Tom...what did you do for the GEM 1912's B-day?

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. Bird Lives

I'm not sure...Lutepro's picture idea sounds great!!..
    I was thinking of taking mine down to a secluded beach on the Mediterranean and working on our 'all over tans'...afterwards a leisurely shave...then maybe swing by here, and share some cake and menthol with all you cats and razors...Then maybe, take my ER'14 home for a video and pizza but thats nothing special...we do that all the time...
    :eek:
    Hows that sound??

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

As long as there are no photos of the 'all-over-tanning' :)

5. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Just got two OCMMs with interesting features. One is missing the two little knobs on the inside of the head and the other is stamped.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. Bird Lives

Yep...my OCMM is missing those dimples aswell...I think that makes it an earlier one...Mine shaves like crazy, I love it....Mine was a gift from Tom, and the funny thing about it is...it is one of the older ones but the Gold plating is still thicker than all of my newer razors...;) When it needs polishing it gets that orange gold thing, and when I polish it up it stays super shiney for a long time...My hats off to GEM. They weren't afraid to actually puts some gold on it...My Gillettes look like they waved a gold bar over them and said a few words...lol...But this GEM has some serious plating happening!!

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

I love how that OCMM has a warning label on the head.

You should get "...or else" stamped under the "hold flat against face"

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. fram773

To my knowledge they don't have any gold plating. They're just unplated brass hence the gold color and the need for polishing. I greatly prefer these because they can be restored to like new condition easily. No need for expensive replating services.

True true. They should have made them all that way. So there wouldnt be any clueless people trying to use them like a DE and then slandering them.

BudWhite likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Looks like I'm signing on for another week of SE (which, for me, starts on Sunday). This time with my black handled push button, Pella PTFE blade, and Queen Charlotte Soap orange-clove soft soap (special order). :drool:

fram773 likes this.
  11. Bird Lives

Actually , most the older ones were 'Gold'...yep real gold and a thick coat too....Mine is real gold...that what my post was about...;) But I also like the ones where the plating has come off....They are fun to polish...:)

12. fram773

Come off? The older one I have without the bumps is definitely not gold. I don't think it ever had gold plating. Otherwise it would have some remnants of the plating. I also have had another later ("gold" actually unplated brass) MMOC with the bumps and that one was unplated brass too, and a Clog-Pruf. And a ER 1912 and GEM Junior. There is no evidence that they ever had any plating on them whatsoever. This leads me to believe they came like that out of the factory.

Also I don't understand how you say yours gets the "orange gold thing" and you need to polish it. Gold does not tarnish. It's one of the few metals that does not react with oxygen. Could be the laquer?

I have seen a few bullet tips that appear to be gold such as this one but I am led to believe plating was not the norm:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  13. Bird Lives

I've seen some that appear to have never been plated...I don't know that answer...

The orange gold thing I'm talking about is the exact same thing that I get with Gold plated trumpets...and I KNOW they are GOLD plated. And I buff with a metal polishing cloth and they look great...And thats the same with every gold plated horn I've ever seen...It would not only be cost prohibitive but undesirable to plate a horn with 24 karat gold or even 18 karats...

We're not taking about 24 Karat Gold Rings. We're talking about plated $1.00 safety razors...
    Check out this advertisement for the OCMM...look at the SPECIAL OFFER...it says for the regular $1.00 gold plated Gem Micromatic Razor...I've seen dozens of different ads for these micromatics that say the same thing....

I know they were also Chrome plated too....I don't know what else, I'd like to find out too...But I do believe MANY were Gold plated...and compared to the Gillette Gold plating, they had a better plate job IMO...YMMV.....lol

$(KGrHqR,!lQFCy5BELKrBQ+q-I6Ynw~~60_57.JPG

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  14. HoosierTrooper

They are most definitely gold plated, here's an ad from 1935 stating so.

[​IMG]

So where the Push Buttons.

[​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG][/URL]

And here is a page from a catalog that states the Flying Wing (top), Clog-pruf Peerless set (center) and 1912 Junior (bottom) are all gold plated. I find it interesting that the description of the Junior states it has the plastic handle, known as the Baton, but in the picture it's a metal handle.

[​IMG]

And I have one Flying Wing that the gold has come off in several spots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's another catalog stating the Micromatic is gold plated as is the 1924 Ever-Ready that they refer to as a Major.

[​IMG]

15. fram773

Were then any of the Micromatics advertised as being brass? I know for a fact my gold-tone razors are unplated brass. I find it hard to believe they were ever plated in gold. Looking at gold-plated Gillettes i.e. Milord, you can see there is nickel plating on it first over the brass and then the gold plating. This is something modern replaters do. There is no remnants of any plating on mine. I have yet to see a Milord that it is completely and cleanly brassed.

If they were originally gold-plated it must not have been a very good plating since it all just washed off and left no trace...

16. HoosierTrooper

I've never seen one stating it was brass. Here's one that describes the chrome plated razor and then lists a gold plated one as an option, but doesn't say anything about a plain brass model.

[​IMG]

Here's one from 1948 of the Flying Wing with the Guiding Eye that just says gold plated.

[​IMG]

17. fram773

So on your gold-plated bullet tip you can see nickel plating underneath? Obviously these razors came before the Milord. I suppose it is possible they didn't know in these earlier times to plate on nickel for durability hence the unplated brass razors?

on the gold-plated bullet tip I posted above it looks like there is white discoloration of the gold which I believe is the nickel showing through. But the Bullet Tip comes after the OC and 1912 and others so they might have learned by then to plate over nickel for durability?

18. HoosierTrooper

You're probably correct. Gillette put the gold plating right on the brass or in the case of the NEW's on copper and it wore away quickly, that's why so many of them have lost all or most of the plating.

GDCarrington and fram773 like this.
  19. fram773

Looks like the mystery is solved.

20. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

What's everyone's favorite SE blade? (If this question has been dealt with elsewhere in this thread, I apologize; I don't have time to read through 93 pages.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.