inspirations or rotations

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by david of central florida, Sep 10, 2014.

1. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

tell us, how do you pick your next razor at bat?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Rotation - different razor every day.

DEs Monday thru Friday (about 30)
    Str8s on Saturday (7)
    SEs on Sunday (10)

3. rp_63

rp_63 Active Member

Right now I'm working on my open comb razors (3) I use one anywhere from three days to a week. Before that it was a few of my SE razors. When I'm done with the open combs maybe I'll go through the adjustables. Maybe someday I'll get the rolls honed and give it a try. I have no blades for the Schaeffer so I'll probably never use it.

4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Usually just whatever floats my boat at the time. If I haven't shaved for a few days I'll usually us an OC. This month I'm using a Gem G-Bar every day just because.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Sometimes I get a hankerin' for the feel of a particular razor but most days I grab whatever's closest (unless it's been three or so days, then I go straight for the G-bar or NEW). Reminds me...I haven't broken out my Rolls in forever, and nothing's better for trimming around the goatee I'm growing.

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

If I shaved the day before I am likely to pick a very mild razor like my BlackTip.
    If it's been a few days I may pull out the big guns and use my Gillette Big Boy or Barbasol FH - both being a bit more aggressive.

Right now I'm torturing my face with my shavette for the first pass so a super mild razor is normally used for my 2nd pass :)

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Send a PM to Fishcrow. I provided some mint ones two Travel Boxes ago and don't recall anyone pulling them out.

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Luck of the draw. No real deep thought goes into the selection; choice is often made 'on the spot.'
    Sometimes I'll roll through the pages of images from past SOTDs and decide if I wish to repeat those choices.
    [​IMG]

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

At times it's because of what another member used on the previous SOTD. Or it could be totally random. Or planned..

10. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I base it on my hair growth. I have certain razors that work better on 2-3 day growth versus a more mild razor that gets close but doesnt irritate during the week.

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I actually have more fun (such as it is) rotating blades than razors. For example, before I stopped in here today I realized I was in the mood to shave with a Dorco DE blade, which I haven't used in awhile. Weird, huh.

12. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

At first it was easy because I only had one razor. I have been fortunate to receive a couple of new razors, from you and from razorburn123. Now the choice is more about how I feel at the moment. If I have a couple of days growth or want a fast shave I take out the MMOC. And I'm still getting to know the slim but I get really nice shaves with it too.

My first razor, muhle r89 has now seen the spotlight for a while =P

13. david of central florida

how do you rotate thirty?
    do you have a written list, are they lined up on a shelf, or do you have an eidetic memory?

14. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I use everything in my den but there is no special order. However when I get something new I tend to use it more frequently. I just picked up a 1965 Slim Adjustable and a 1970 "Black Beauty" Adjustable that I named "The Black Pearl" . I will be using them more often to take the place of some of my 1960 Fat Boy shave time. The Adjustables are my favorites. I do try to pair things up, like Old Spice Lime AS with TOBS Grapefruit, or "old school" with a pre 1950s brush, OS mug and razor. This makes the shave more fun and nostalgic.

15. david of central florida

I never get to two or three days growth. I shave every day.

RaZorBurn123 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  16. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

Lately, I've used these guidelines:
    • If it's been more than a day and a half since my last shave, I use my slant (about 85% of the time) or my Ever Ready 1914 (15% of the time)
    • If I shaved yesterday, I use my bullet-tip Micromatic (~60% of the time) or Gem Junior (~40% of the time)
    ...and because of that all my other DEs have been sitting around unused.

But my last shave, I picked up my long-comb NEW on a whim and had a wonderful shave with it, so at the very least it'll start getting some use again, and I may well go back to my others for another try as well. And I've got a Super Adjustable on its way to me, so things are going to get all mixed up here real soon.

17. david of central florida

wow
    nothin else to say but,
    WOW

ObiDon likes this.
  18. david of central florida

me too....

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Same here. What I want to photograph (equipment and background) also has an effect on what I want to use.

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I took a board, sand and stain, screw in 30 sets of L hooks, there ya go. I have them set up three across, ten down. I work down the left column, back to the top of the center column, etc. The board hangs on the wall in my bathroom, right next to the sink.