inspirations or rotations

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by david of central florida, Sep 10, 2014.

1. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I call what I do a rotation, but that's not actually true. I do shave with nearly all of my razors, but as far as rotating them goes, I don't have a set order. I reach for whichever one I want at the time. Sometimes that's decided ahead of time, because I miss shaving with a certain razor, and there is anticipation of that razor on up until shave time. Other times I walk into the bathroom and just pick one.

2. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

+1 :)

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Normally it is just what I feel like using. I did recently use my razors from oldest to newest.

4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

The 10 in my rotation are in a row in my "shaving cabinet". The oldest is on the left, newest on the right. I start at the left and move up as I change blades. When I get to the end, I start over. Being a CPA I need "structure" in my life.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It is inspiration for me. Right now I am changing razors weekly. I go back and forth SE to DE. Usually I get inspired by someone's SOTD, and I choose my next razor on that. Right now, I think I will be using a Schick I1 next. I am presently enjoying excellent shaves with my '62 Slim.

6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I've got four DE's and four SE's. Lying in line on the shelf. One day is DE day, the other SE day. That's during the weekdays. Weekends is Rolls Razor time! Got a few of those, but I mostly end up with the Imperial No2 as it has a screw-on handle in stead of the slide-in handle on my other two Rolls Razors.

7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I've only been using a DE since June. I spent the first 6 weeks or so with my starter kit working on technique. I spent the next few weeks trying out 4 different razors and blade combos. Now that I have a few types of blades I like best and the two razors I favor, I'm implementing the 30 day rule for the rest of the year.

I'm sticking with the slant for Slantember, I'll be going with the NEW LC for OCtober, Fatboy for Nov and EJ89 for a nice mild Dec.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Sounds like a plan.
    interesting.jpg

BigMark, macaronus and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs011:

ObiDon and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

I have six DE razors and one injector that I keep in rotation, but unlike many members here, I use the same razor for a week with a couple different blades before moving onto the next razor. Sometimes when I am feeling the need, I use my ER 1912 for a couple days and get back to the rotation. I keep the DE razors in pipe rack so that my rotation does not get out of order.

DSCN0067[1] (800x600).jpg

Dave

11. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

My rotation is pretty easy. Parker 91r during the week except for Monday morning. On Monday I break out my Parker 24c to shave off the weekend's growth. Those are the only two razors I currently own.

12. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I'll choose whatever fancies my tickle or boats my float.
    Although from time to time I pick based on blades I am testing or from a desire to revisit a razor I have not used in a while.
    If I have not shaved in a while I usually go for the slant.

At the moment I am trying new blades, so I vary between my two most used razors. The Merkur HD and EJ 89

Boojum1, Bristle Me, Slow Joe and 3 others like this.
  13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

When I first got exposed to "traditional" shaving, took it up as a hobby and then started to hang out here in the Den I caught a "VERY" severe case of RAD! So I was constantly receiving different razors in the mail in my search for "The One".:) My rotation, for the most part, was whichever razor caught my eye at the time and had recently arrived in the mail. I was always trying yet another razor and/or blade combination. That however is contrary to my nature which in general is very routine oriented "if something works for me, I prefer doing the same thing everyday (taking the same path to the fields and back everyday like an old milk cow) dairy guys know what I mean :). I actually dislike change.

So once the RAD began to subside and I had enough experience with different razors to know which I liked and disliked, I choose a few favorites and began to settled down. However I still had the desire to use all the razors I enjoy daily, so I began using at least two different razors everyday. I had by this time, read the "Bruce on Shaving" article about using a different razor(mild-aggressive) for each pass(generally 3 passes for him). I liked the idea and so began to experiment with it. A more aggressive razor for the first pass and a milder one for the finish and touchup passes. I've found over the years that this routine actually works "VERY" well for me and more importantly I enjoy it. My daily shaves are for the most part consistently close(DFS or better), while remaining irritation, razor burn and nick/weeper free.:happy088:

I started with an ER1924 "shovelhead" 1st pass and an EJ89 or Gillette "Fat Handle Tech" for the finish passes.
    Then I went with a couple of different OC's and the EJ.
    My current setup is a Cadet OC mated to a Maggard MR8 handle and a Weber DLC w/BullDog handle.
    I tend to rotate more through handles now-a-days, creating "FrankinRazors" trying various handles(lengths, weights, knurling) with different heads, to see how they work together. One of the reasons I like 3 piece razors so much is this ability to customize.:shaver

Boojum1, Slow Joe, dscaver and 2 others like this.
  14. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Excel spreadsheet

Boojum1 and Slow Joe like this.
  15. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

i used to rotate every three days when i would change blade and then go on to a new razor. I would try and pick someting that felt different to my last shave. eg. after using a tech i might use a superspeed, but even though selection was random i would go through my entire collection.
    Not so now
    On my birthday I got my first Single edged razor a Gem micromatic , a pils, a black beauty and soon after, I picked up my first DE open comb razor in a New. I find myself going from the Pils to the Gem. I was going to use the Pils for 30 days to follow GD Carringtongs advice, i wanted to use that time to see if i could really perfect my technique with this razor and see which blades match up best, plus I really enjoy using the razor. That planned got derailed when my freind Omelmad sent me some single edge blades, and i couldn't resist trying the Gem Micromatic. So at the moment I am just switching between those two. Then I willl probably move onto the New, then the plan is back to rotation.... unless i get another new type of razor try, i have never tried a slant and I hear the aluminiun razorock stealth is coming out soon. ;)

16. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I shave with my razor, nearly every day. I'm over the acquisition phase of this pastime.

17. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I sure hope this is true for me , and I hope that after I get my MMBT, that I will not go on an SE binge.

18. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I just pick what ever razor I feel like using on that particular night.

Slow Joe, Boojum1 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  19. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

For me it's pretty random. I try not to use the same one twice in a week (or in a row). Picking oc vs safety bar vs adjustable just depends on how long it's been since my last shave. OCs for longer growth!