Instead of a Fatboy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Queen of Blades, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    For anyone who has been around for some time, Fatboys are not "the flavor of the month". They've always held a high attraction rate in this hobby.

However, as this hobby grows, they are becoming in higher demand, as the number of demandees have grown.

I'd thought it would be helpful at this time to have a thread specifically to recommend alternatives to the Fatboy.

I have used a Fatboy, a Slim, and a Long Handled Super Adjustable.
    All 3 adjustable double edge razors.
    My preference and recommendation is for the Long Handled Super Adjustable.

There are other adjustable razors, but I have not used them.

Please share your experiences and recommendations here to help some folks.

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

The only adjustable I've used is the slim. I'm not a fan of adjustables but this is the one I'll vote for, it's well made and attractive and a whole lot cheaper than the Fat Boy.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The Slim is a better razor for head shavers and those who need to get into a tighter spot due to its "Slim" head. The major changes from the FB are a slightly longer handle and the "Slim" head versus the rounder head of the FatBoy. The Slim was introduced after the FatBoy's run and was not a lower cost item to produce. This is my #1 Razor because it provides the best compromise of head, length and mechanics. Dollar for dollar the Slims still seem to hold the overall edge due to production volume of the 1960s (DE razor zenith in the U.S. market) which allows for many units to be available today at a more reasonable price.

The Long Handled Super Adjustable which I have one of as well, is the descendant of the Slim. The handle is longer which causes a greater difference in the angle that you would use to shave with. It becomes a little more difficult to use up close (in tight around the face) since the longer handle interferes with maneuverability for some. The Long Handled Super Adjustable was the last in the line of DE adjustables for Gillette and many incorporate plastic base plate sub-assemblies which in my opinion are a degradation of the razor type. If you like longer distance strokes of the razor this one will work best, but watch out for the plastic base units. The Long Handled Super Adjustable was produced in far fewer quantities per year than the Slim due to the fact that DE razors were quickly overtaken by the Trac II cartridge in the early 1970s. Gillette did not see the need to continue to turn out many units when the U.S. market overwhelmingly went to the Trac II. Slims and Fatboys were the state of the art for their day, the Long Handled Super Adjustable was relegated to yesterdays news during its production run.

The Fatboy is preferred by many who like the center of gravity being forward toward the head. The shorter handle makes it more maneuverable for close work around the face for many. Many prefer the rounder head which allows for a larger range of angles to be more easily created that the Slim. The Fatboy (and plated variations) was Gillette's highest level razor at the time when the Baby Boomers came of age. As they mature and return to yesterday, the nostalgia of the times may pull them to that classic.

Any of the three are good solid performers, but they are different enough to cause staunch loyalties to be developed.

wlmcad and swarden43 like this.
  4. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

I've never used a Fatboy, mostly because I'm a contrarian. If the flock is going "that way" I go the other way (after doing my homework).

The only adjustable I own is a Slim and I like it. I liked it OK set to 3, liked it more set to 5 and for the past few days I like it even better set to 9. On 9 the shave result is quite similar to the aggressive SE razors that I like.

It'll probably be my only adjustable unless a different razor falls into my lap. I have the one that I use and a spare, so that's plenty.

NoobShaver likes this.
  5. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

I've never used the Fatboy (though not for lack of want), but have a couple slims which are great razors. I also have a Super Adjustable that I've never bothered to use because for some reason it just doesn't appeal to me. The only other adjustable I've used is the progress, which I love, but for the price you'd wind up with a fatboy anyway so I guess it defeats the purpose.

6. Queen of Blades

So, in short, you prefer the Slim, GD?

As for the handle length issue; I don't understand how the length of the handle would effect maneuverability, except maybe in the neck area. But that would seem to be easily overcome by tilting your head back..

I've never used a Long Handled Super Adjustable with the plastic base. Would probably not be attractive to me, but I'd probably give it a go, if I found one.

wlmcad likes this.
  7. Queen of Blades

Well, my point for this thread is to discuss all adjustable alternatives to the Fatboy. If you'd be so kind as to let us know which of your adjustables you prefer, the readers can make up their own minds as to which razor they decide to go with.

Folks certainly have the new versus used/vintage decision to consider.

As for the forlorn Super Adjustable you are holding hostage, :rolleyes005: SAs need love, too! Is it a plastci based, or a short handled, or a long handled? Can I have it?

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Try using it on the back of the head. That is the one place you cannot see, but unless you have a dual mirror system you must go by feel alone. The longer handle gets in the way. More is not always better. Many individuals who do not head shave do not like a longer handle because the more your hand moves in gripping, the angle changes. Shorter handles require that you don't slide down or choke up on the handle, to use a baseball analogy.

9. Queen of Blades

Ummmm....ok, still don't get it, but I don't slide my hand up and down the razor handle, or understand why the length is a problem. If you're shaving your head by feel, shouldn't your hand be on your skull?

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have kept only one of each for my collection. They are in the den along with several Slims which see regular use and my mint Fatboy including blades and instructions stays in the den.
    I have one of each of the variants along with the Russian equivalent for comparison purposes. I will be retaining all of them. If I get one in a batch purchase that I can release because it will be an extra, I will let you know about it.

wlmcad likes this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

No. Your hand is on the handle but the angles are not the same as face shaving. You must be more precise. If you have you hand on the skull when the blade is coming around, you can cut your hand.

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The Fat Boy is to Wet Shavedom as is the Corvette is to Old Mandom; trying to compensate for what was or never has been there.

I have been through the Fat Boy Love Stage many times over the last year or so.

I maintain that the Fat Boy is overhyped and over inflated in price.

As for alternative adjustables, .... I have tried the Slim and the Super Adjustable, along with the PAL and Schick adjustable injectors. I have also used the Merkur Progress and Futur and a few super obscure adjustable concept razors along the way.

At some point I am sure to try the Merkur Vision, of that I am sure.

If I were asked right now what my opinion is for buying an adjustable razor I would say get the Merkur Futur...

But then September is almost upon us...

Next Flavor Please!

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is what the "the nostalgia of the times may pull them to that classic' line was all about.

14. Queen of Blades

Ummm...who are you addressing here?

Ok. :)
    If I were to shave my head, I'd think I'd use one hand to feel, and the other on the razor, but I doubt I'll ever know. :)

Wasn't looking for "What's the best?". :)

15. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

It's metal (from what I can tell), and probably short handle - same size as the slims.
    [​IMG]
    Can you have it? hmmm...

EDIT: For some reason I decided to go ahead and clean it up a little after I took a couple pictures. So I took a couple more. Behold...before and after

[​IMG]

Actually it cleaned up kinda nice didn't it? Looks like there's still a little lo-mein stuck under the head though...

16. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I have and use a 4th quarter 1973 (birth year and quarter) long handle Super Adjustable, which I use for regular face/neck shaving from time to time. For shaving my head and when I use an adjustable to do so, I have and use a 4th quarter 1973 short handle Super Adjustable. I've tried using the long handle SA to shave my head but you don't get the maneuverability with a long handle that you do with a short handle - at least not on my big ole round melon. The short handle lets me zip and zoom around my cranial real estate! :happy102:

I've used a Fat Boy, Slim and Mergress (customized Merkur Progress Adjustable) as well and definitely prefer the 2 Super Adjustables over those.

All of that said, I don't use my adjustables often because I just really love my 1934 USA Aristocrat.

wyatt46 likes this.
  17. Queen of Blades

Y'all are gonna make me shave my head. :happy102:

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Hrmm. I'm thinking of what kind of TSD fundraiser we can do that involves you shaving your head... :signs136:

19. Queen of Blades

:mog:
    I can dig my own grave, ya know? :p

Gonna have to change your CT to Grave Digger next.

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. dmalsbury

dmalsbury New Member

I have never gotten particularly good shaves from my Fat Boy or my '59 SS or my original (bought in High School) '64 adjustable. I seem to be getting the best shaves these days from my pre WWII fat handle Tech. That's the "go to" shaver right now. I just can't tell you why this is the case either.