Irritation

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Lucas_Don_Velour93, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Lucas_Don_Velour93

Lucas_Don_Velour93 New Member

Hody Guys,
    I'm somewhat new. I have had a profile here before. I eventually forgot about it, and I thought I should sign back up. Now let's get to business. I have been DE shaving for awhile, and I decided recently to try barbasol. I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for using canned goo. I thought it might make my shaving process quicker. But I started to get some irritation since I've been using it. It's mostly on the right side under the chin, and cheek. I don't really get irritation on the neck. Thought I would see what you guys thought it might be. Technique, or is it the shave cream? I usually shave wtg, xtg, than I shave atg. I shave only wtg on the neck. I always shower before a shave, rinse with cold water after, apply witch hazel, and Nivea after shave balm for sensitive skin. Thanks in advance.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Use what makes you happy.
    Sounds like Barbasol is the only thing you changed, soooooo.....

Bama Samurai and PickledNorthern like this.
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Yeah, if everything was good until you switched to Barbasol, then I'd go back to what you were doing before and see if it clears up. If not then I'd say it's a matter of getting a little sloppy with pressure or angle in that area. And you won't get grief for using canned goo. Many here do, and enjoy it. Do whatever's right for you.

RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  4. Lucas_Don_Velour93

Thanks guys. I'll let my face heal, and I'll keep trying the Barbasol for another week. Since canned goo is so cheap, I'll keep trying till I find one that works well for me. Any suggestions. I'm thinking Barbasol Aloe, or the Barbasol sensitive skin. Has anyone tried Noxzema, is that any good?

5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Arko or van der hagen are very inexpensive.
    Why do you think it is faster than building a lather from soap?
    It seems seamless just to face wash, face lather, shave.
    The can saves what, fifteen seconds?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    navy mac, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

So the only thing that's changed in your routine is Barbasol and now you get irritation? That was an easy fix.......

7. Lucas_Don_Velour93

My lathering technique must be bad, because it takes me about 2 to 3 minutes to get a good lather. I can only lather directly on the soap, I've tried to load up a brush and lather in a bowel. All I get is a super dry lather, or a lather that has too much water. I've never tried to face lather before. The only soap I have used is the VDH. Maybe I need to invest in some musgo real, or some proraso.

navy mac and AGHisBBS like this.
  8. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Lathering in a bowel will always result in crappy lather. :happy097:
    Sorry, couldn't resist.:)

9. Lucas_Don_Velour93

that was good. I didn't notice my typo, and get the joke till I read the whole thing three times. It's hard typing on a phone.

navy mac, AGHisBBS, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Wet your face, rub the VDH puck on your face, try face lathering?
    Biggest lather problem I had early on was not loading my brush with enough soap. If you use your wet stubble to scratch off soap ALL over your shave area you will certainly get lather.

navy mac likes this.
  11. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

+1

Although...I actually developed an allergy to nickel out of the blue. I had been shaving for about 25 years and never had a problem before. I had to immediately change razors (since a lot of them have nickel in the blade). It's what started me on my wet shaving journey. It is likely the barbasol, but you could have developed an allergy of some type.

navy mac likes this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I second this idea.

13. flaxton

flaxton Active Member

Why not try using soap from a tube. Put a small amount on your face and rub it in. Does not take long to lather.

14. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:signs011: :happy102:

15. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'm not going to give you grief for the Barbasol. The Chairman Mao avatar however...
    image.jpeg
    BOO!

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I was going to suggest just laying off the ATG part of the shave, for a few shaves. Then continue the ATG. All the while making sure you use a good aftershave with moisturizers in it, like glycerin. I never had luck with Nivia, but Pinaud Clubman, or others work well at stopping irritation. I add glycerin in those that need it.

navy mac likes this.
  17. swarden43

So instead you're going to suggest...? ;)

navy mac likes this.
  18. DaltonGang

"I am suggesting." Better?

navy mac likes this.
  19. swarden43

Just messin'. Didn't mean to offend. :)

navy mac likes this.
  20. DaltonGang

No offense taken. I know you are just bored, and having fun.

navy mac likes this.