Irving Barber Company Shavette

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by ninjack, Apr 14, 2017.

1. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

Recently I decided to take up shaving with a shavette since I have a few nice straight razors that I can not seem to keep properly stropped. They gave me nice shaves when I first got them, but feel more like they are pulling the hair now. I wanted to see if it was my technique with the straight razor or my poor stropping skills that was causing the uncomfortable shaves, so I figured a shavette would be a good way to check and see. Like I thought, I need to work on my stropping and honing. In the mean time I am enjoying using a shavette. The first one I bought was a Parker SRB, and I like it very much. Then I saw the IBC shavette on a Youtube video and really loved the look of it, so I ordered one. Came in the mail yesterday and I have to say I love it. Very well made and nice feel to it. Heavier than the Parker, feels moor like a straight to me. It did cost several times more than the Parker, but I feel it was worth it to me. It uses either half DE blades or longer Feather Artist Club style blades, so it is very versatile. I got one with the nickle scales, but there are several options available.
    ibc shavette-1.jpg
    ibc shavette-2.jpg

2. Sqeno

Sqeno New Member

Where did you buy this from and for how much if you don't mind me asking? Absolutely stunning. Just gotten into shavettes and I'm loving it

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai, Spyder and RyX like this.
  3. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

4. Sqeno

Sqeno New Member

I had a look but it is only letting me select shipping for USA. So wasn't sure if he had gotten it there or third party

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Spyder likes this.
  5. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@Sqeno where are you from Country and State

Spyder likes this.
  6. ninjack

ibc shavette-3.jpg I got mine off a seller known as CHOPMYHAIR on Ebay. It cost me $72.95 with free shipping in the US. The seller is from Houston Texas. I feel it's worth the money. I really like mine. In fact, I may try and get another one with the chrome scales in the near futur.

Spyder and SpeedyPC like this.
  7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

If you're using that Wit & Wisdom shaving cream, I would stop. Nasty stuff. I have a jar of it I purchased just to see what it was. It might work as a hand and foot lotion, but not as a brushless shaving cream.

8. ninjack

LOL. I'm not using it. I saw it at Dollar Tree several months ago and thought I'd try it for $1. It was awful. More like lotion than a shave cream. Used it once then pored it down the drain. Now I use the container to keep my Caswell Massey sandalwood shave soap in, so it's not a total waste of a dollar. The Wit and Wisdom is complete crap IMO.

It is without a doubt, the worst shave product I have ever tried. I would rather use bath bar soap than W&W.

9. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I've used bath bar soap for shaving. It certainly doesn't burn the way the W&W lotion did on my wrist. I won't even pour it down the drain, as I'm the one that has to clean the drains when they clog. :) I figure it'll get used up slowly - on my feet. Use the burn to kill off the bugs!

People are too hard on bar soap for shaving. It does the job, and if you get the RIGHT soap, it can do the job well. Pears used to be good, and Dove does a decent job. Safeguard and Dial require constant refreshing on the face, and really dry the skin. French Milled hotel soaps are okay, once you get enough lather going on the face. (I've never used a brush with them, just lathered on the face).

RyX, Keithmax and ninjack like this.
  10. ninjack

I like to experiment with different bath soaps to see if I can shave with them. I like the Brut Revolution bar soap. Two bars for $1. at Dollar Tree and it is good and slick. Lathers really well with a brush, but it does dissipate faster than I like. Had some Neutrogena bar soap once that worked okay too. I may get some of the Palmolive bar soap from Dollar Tree next time I'm in there. I use to use it in the shower and liked it for that, but don't recall if I ever tried to shave with it.

Keithmax and Bookworm like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have owned an IBC razor since last December, and find them to be excellent. They shine the best with AC and injector blades, and seem to have been designed around that platform. Both of the ones I have owned required a little fiddling to get DE blades to fit in them securely enough to use, but I do not prefer them in that razor anyway.

To my way of thinking (or shaving), putting a short blade in a long blade holder makes for a more cumbersome razor head with no advantage. Wasted space. Really, the same with the injector blades, but the platform for them is auite limited.

Fitted with an AC blade, I think this shavette mimics an actual straight better than any other I have tried. I have also had beyond excellent customer service from the company owner, something I have written about here earlier.

For anyone looking to try a shavette razor, and willing to look at a little higher price tag, an IBC with a AC style blade gets my recommendation, hands down.

RyX, SpeedyPC and Keithmax like this.
  12. PickledNorthern

I bought one with chrome scales and a black blade, for a second to my nickel. The chrome is such a fingerprint magnet, but the scales are easy to wipe off, especially compared to the blade, and the black looks cool. Win/win.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I started to pretty much use straights full time, and the shavettes were more travel, I sold my nickel IBC, but the chrome stayed.

178-bplatoon, RyX, ninjack and 2 others like this.
  13. PickledNorthern

One other thing - You can buy replacement parts from the IBC site itself, so you could just buy a different set of scales, then mix and match them etc...

ninjack and Keithmax like this.
  14. ninjack

The black and chrome looks great together. I will eventually get a second one, I like it that much. I have been having excellent shaves with it. I really like the way it loads. I have only tried half de blades so far, but like that you can use longer blades as well.

RyX likes this.