Is a heavier blade the answer?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Alohashirt, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Alohashirt

Alohashirt New Member

I've just started using a DE after decades of Gillette Sensors and Machs. I've started with an EJ DE89 and Feather blades. Frankly, the experience has sucked. I'm getting a shave that's noticeably inferior and carving up my face while I'm at it. I've watched every YouTube video on technique that I could find and tried to "let the razor do the work."

I suspect that my problem is that I have trouble maintaining the proper angle because I cannot tell when the blade itself is touching my face, as opposed to the guard. I either apply pressure and inflict damage or miss an area entirely because my blade angle is off.

Might a heavier blade like a Persona Crystal help? If so, can anybody recommend some blades heavier than "Feather" weight?

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Heavier blade? Not sure what that means. It takes a little bit of time to get your technique down. Stop over thinking, it's shaving. What soap/cream are you using? What about your prep? Feather blades are very sharp, try an Astra SP. Pick up a sample pack, sometimes a blade doesn't go well with a razor.

3. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Try turning off the fan in your bathroom so you can "hear" the blade. Sound can be a great teacher for the proper angle.

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011:
    Bottom line: once you have a good technique developed, the size and weight of any DE razor (and its blade) becomes inconsequential.

5. Alohashirt

Alohashirt New Member

Thanks... I'm using Truefit & Hill oil and sensitive skin shave cream. How will a less sharp blade help? With my Sensors, duller blades increased my chances of cutting myself. I chose to start with Feather because of their reputation for being among the sharpest. Mistake?

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I rarely use a feather blade, yeah to sharp. Plus I haven't found a razor that matches up right. In a very short time you'll be having the best shaves of your life. I have a EJ DE89 also, love it!

7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Not necessarily a mistake but Feathers in my experience will not tolerate any pressure. Apply any at all and I get irritation from them. If my technique is good they provide a great shave though. It's counterintuitive but less pressure will still give you a close shave. You may benefit from finding a blade that's just sharp enough to not tug but is also smooth enough to irritate your skin less.

8. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Sharp does not automatically equal comfortable, and smooth does not automatically equal dull. Yes, Feathers are known for being among the sharpest, if not the sharpest, but many people can find them a little harsh and get significant razor burn using them. It could be a poor blade angle, or it could be that they just don't agree with a person's skin and beard type. Astra Super Platinums are known for being a great balance between the two. They are plenty sharp, but also give any extremely smooth shave. I just started using them in my 37c and I find them excellent.

Bristle Me and Slow Joe like this.
  9. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Pressure + Sharp Blade = Terrible Outcome. I do not mean to be rude, as I realize I can come across that way. How is your lather? That could also be an issue along with to much pressure. Do not be afraid to test lather products before you shave with them. Lather should have a nice sheen to it. Just take your time and do not give up, you will eventually get it. It took me about 8 months to get to a good consistent shave. And if it makes you feel better I just started shaving my head recently with a DE and am still getting the hang of it on my noggin. I would recommend you try some smoother blades. Just don't throw in the towel. Go to a vendor site such as West Coast Shaving, Razor Blades and more, Royal Shave, etc.

Slow Joe likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

11. Alohashirt

Alohashirt New Member

Just a followup: I did many of the things suggested in this forum, and boy did it make all the difference! 1. Before, I was using running water to clear the blade instead of just partially filling the sink. This made a lot of noise, so I could not hear the blade making contact. You guys are so right... sound really helps me find and keep the perfect angle.

2. Stared using Astra Super Platinums. For my skin and beard type, the Astras delivered a much smoother and safer shave than the Feathers.

I'm confident that just these two changes will enable me to refine my technique. Thanks to you guys, I'm already enjoying much better results.

Bristle Me, Jayaruh, Troy M and 2 others like this.
  12. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I would say stick with the Astras for a month. If you decide you really like them, maybe there's no need to try a sampler. I still have a handful of highly rated blades to try, but so far the Astras and the Personna Reds have performed very similar for me and I could probably be happy just sticking with either of those two blades.

Bristle Me likes this.
  13. lilbones99

lilbones99 Member

I'm glad you are having some better results! So much great info on this site, and these guys are generous with their advice.
    One thing that helped me with the proper angle was simply placing the razor on a more sensitive part of the face, in my case the upper lip, and increasing/decreasing the angle while really paying attention to the feel of the blade contacting my skin as opposed to the guard. I then worked at keeping that same angle and feel to the rest of my face. This tactile feedback plus the audio feedback are great indicators. With some time you won't need to think so much with each stroke, and you're sure to really start enjoying each shave, and looking forward to the next!
    Welcome to the den, you're sure to find your way to enjoying your shave.

14. MrChrome

MrChrome Member

I see you already have a hang on things, but yeah, sound does help. I was having some trouble with my DE shave this weekend, only the second time so I know the feels. It wasn't until I could hear the razor cutting my hairs that I knew I was doing it right. It's a little odd to look at yourself in the mirror and find yourself with a spontaneous grin because you got the right shave :p

15. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I hope you take in what has been said, because it helped me get a good shave. I have been DE shaving for just a few months and started with a Merkur 34c HD (short fat handle) and an assortment of blades. I got some Feathers but it took me a month of practice to get the nerve to try them. I do not have any distractions when I shave, no radio no fan, just the razor singing it's song, letting me know how we are doing. I use a very light touch to let the blade do the work and watch the razor and listen to the blade. Get a cream that gives you a good slickness and cushion, like TOBS (Taylor of Old Bonds Street). TOBS lathers quick and a little goes a long way. Feathers are my go to blade now, just got 100 on Amazon, but it took me a lot of practice to get there. Oh, welcome to the Den! You found a great place.:eatdrink047:

16. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Not that I really had bad shaves with a DE but I've had much better luck with a rigid blade to deal with my tough beard. For me it is far more comfortable to shave with a single edge (SE) or injector. You may have better luck with those. A lot of time people will suggest to try a different blade or a different DE razor but rarely will a whole nother system be mentioned. Not all face and skin types are the same thus some will achieve greater results with different types of razors altogether. You mention having trouble with finding the proper angle. Here is where SEs and injectors excel because the proper angle is very easy to find- head flat against the face. As simple as that.

HoosierTrooper and HolyRollah like this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I agree...a low cost of entry to try an SE so why not give it a shot? One may find an SE is better suited to one's particular beard type and skin sensitivity.

18. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Or even a straight but I'm sure you know very well how high the cost of entry can be ;)

I'd like to thank again @lindyhopper66 to have given me the chance to try a straight. They really aren't as intimidating as they look. More people should try them.

Bristle Me and HolyRollah like this.
  19. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I always wanted to give a name to that 'sound'.

Bristle Me likes this.
  20. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

btw no DE blade is heavier than any other.

fram773 likes this.