Is it possible to get a 100% clean shave?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bangabangbam, Jul 1, 2014.

1. bangabangbam

bangabangbam New Member

I use an Edwin Jagger DE89Lbl saftey razor.

The exact type is here.

I get a pretty smooth shave, yet no matter what I try (have followed several tutorials) I can not get a 100% clean shave.

What I mean by this, is it is still possible to see stubble. In many movies/TV shows, the clean shaven guys look super clean shaven, no trace of stubble. Is this possible with a razor like this?

I've seen in movies such as The Fugitive and The Hulk, characters shaving with a similar razor, if not the same and don't get a clean shave. Clip from The Hulk demonstrating this here.

Looking forward to hearing responses, thanks!

SHAVEWIZARD420 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

How are you shaving? Just WTG or also XTG and ATG? It all depends on how your facial hair grows that's how many of us get BBS Shaves.

3. bangabangbam

bangabangbam New Member

Honestly, I don't know, as I've never been able to have a clear idea of the direction my grain grows.

I've tried multiple techniques though, and don't see much of a difference.

How do I determine the direction of grain?

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD! I can get a very clean close shave using the EJ89. I don't know your prep, or how long you've been DE shaving.

5. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that movies have make-up, lighting techniques, and post-production editing to make the image on the screen look just the way they want. Holding yourself to the idealized version you see on the screen - whether regarding the shave or the physique or the life of most characters - is usually reaching for an artificial goal of perfection.

maltedmilk, Slow Joe, tuxxdk and 4 others like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

:happy088:

7. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

It's possible with pretty much every type of razor available.

Bristle Me and PanChango like this.
  8. bangabangbam

bangabangbam New Member

Thanks for the warm welcomes :) Been DE shaving about 5 months.

Right. That's why I want to know if a 100% clean shave is possible. Since that isn't actually shown in movies, I'm guessing it maybe isn't that likely.

See the clip in hulk...is a cleaner shave than than possible?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

I had a shave like that today, pretty much everyday. Remember, we all have different skin types, hair growth. Keep at it. It'll happen.

Bristle Me likes this.
  10. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Welcome! As has been mentioned in this thread, getting a super close/BBS shave is very possible. It is hard to know how to help you without you telling us exactly what you do. What is your pre-shave prep? What shaving soap or cream? How many passes? What direction in relation to the grain for each pass? What blade?

In terms of beard mapping, here is a starting place. There are many articles/threads on this.

http://sharpologist.com/2010/07/interactive-face-map.html

Let us know and maybe we can catch something. If not, it will come down to persistence and technique, but it is definitely achievable.

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Plus, they're all robot holograms.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Let it grow out for a good week at least, so you can easily see and map out the directions.

And just what razor was that in the Hulk clip?

13. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I've seen The Hulk do all kinds of crazy things I'd never expect to see or do in real life! lol

Let your beard grow our for a few days, like maybe over the holiday weekend? And them map your beard out. Generally, the side of your face grows down, your mustache and chin gro straight down, but your neck and jawline can get all kind of crazy. Just feel your beard growth, and pay attention to which way it goes. It's pretty easy, once you start doing it.

J_Man likes this.
  14. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Makeup!

I'm one of those who can get BBS shave but you can still see the shadow of the stubbles underneath your skin. Not a show stopper unless you're in one of those movies or a transgender! Then makeup is your friend.

All kidding aside some people have very light beards which leave no shadow after a DFS shave.

Welcome to the Den!

Keithmax likes this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Hey! I resemble that remark! :shaver

Welcome, Banga, and stick with it. Every shaver starts out desiring the perfectly-smooth shave every time. Is it possible? At times, yes. Everyday? No. Unless you are looking for some form of skin irritation.
    Often times, the joys of wet-shaving are IN the process—the act of doing—and striving towards a 'successful' outcome. Sometimes the results may be baby-bottom smooth…but I often settle for just a close comfortable shave.
    Hey, how often do you see the top Hollywood stars with an über-smooth mug shot? :signs002:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

No doubt another sucker punch thrown my way again. Sheesh, you go to your 18 year old son's prom dressed like Dolly Pardon just one time and it sticks to you forever. #IWasBornThis Way

17. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I'm not quite sure whether you are concerned about feeling BBS, or looking BBS.

At just five months into DE shaving, you've a little ways to go yet before you've found your zen
    in terms of blade, soap or crème, brush, and technique. I know you aren't a noob, but you
    are still learning.

If you are concerned mainly with feeling BBS, then here are a few things to consider.

Try a different blade in your EJ.
    What you are using right now may seem reasonably smooth and effective, but unless you've
    already tried 8-14 different blades, you probably have not found the absolute best for you and your razor.
    Don't let the opinions of others influence your choice of which blades to try. Try everything you can get your
    hands on. For instance, you'll hear much moaning around here when somebody brings up Derby Extras.
    Some time ago I tried them in my old Gillette Super Speed, and they did not work well.
    But months later, I loaded one in my Fatip Piccolo and it worked fantastic!
    So, try every blade you can. The good, the bad, AND the Derby!
    Prepare yourself now. You may find that the blade you prefer is the one nearly everybody else throws
    into the trash bin.

Always wash your face before you shave. Whether in the shower or at the sink just prior to shaving, wash.
    If you use bar soap, make it a moisturizing/face soap. Hand soaps aren't good for preparing your face for the blade.
    If you would prefer, (and I do) wash using your shaving soap and your brush.
    Wash gently with warm or cool water, (never hot water) and don't scrub your mug like you are cleaning car parts.
    Be thorough, but be gentle.

Whether you favor face lathering or bowl lathering, spend at least one minute working that lather into your beard.
    It's common for us newer guys to cut ourselves short on application time. This is bad. Remember, at least one full minute.

Rinse your face well between each shaving pass. Don't slather a new layer of soap over what remains of the first. Rinse first.

Slow down.
    We all tend to speed up as we gain familiarity with our DE razor.
    This isn't good. Shaving isn't a timed sport.
    Use short strokes and slow down.

Everybody has different shaving patterns.
    As others said earlier, when it's possible, let your beard grow for 3-5 days.
    Then make a date with a good, well lighted mirror. Make a close, careful inspection of every area you intend to shave
    and note which way the whiskers are growing. Make a sketch if you need to.
    Your cheeks will very likely be totally different from your neck and chin areas. You'll need to change methods as
    you move from one area to another.
    Remember that the terms WTG, XTG, and ATG are relative. For many, WTG on the cheek is straight down.
    But that is not true for me. On my cheeks, my beard grows more from ear toward the nose. So what is WTG for some,
    is XTG for me. You just need to study your growth and come up with a game plan. If you try, you will come up with an
    effective strategy.

Now, if you are more concerned about looking BBS.

All of the above applies, but set the EJ aside, because the weapon to accomplish this task is different.
    Now is when a multi-blade cartridge type razor becomes appropriate. :eek:
    No, I'm not kidding, and here is why.

The whole idea behind multi-blade cartridge razors is what is known as "hysteresis".
    The design of the razor is such that the first blade in the group is to be somewhat dull. (this should scare you right away. A DULL blade? :eek:)
    It snags the whisker,:eek: stretches and pulls it up :eek: so the second blade can snag it and pull it further still,:eek:
    then maybe the third, fourth, or fifth blade can cut it off. (Dear God.....)
    What results is a whisker that is cut off at a very sharp angle, and is now residing slightly below the skin surface.
    This invites a whole host of problems however, and most of us who migrate to DE shaving do so just because of the poor experience
    we've had with these weapons of mass marketing stupidity.

BUT, if you are set on looking Cary Grant clean, (or maybe more like Audrey Hepburn clean :happy097:)
    then plunk down $20-$30 and get yourself one of these multi-blade jobs, lather up, stretch your skin fiddle string tight,
    and do a 6-10 pass shave (up, down, sideways, diagonal, circular, helical, etc...)using moderate to heavy pressure on the razor.

Brother, you are going to get as close and clean a shave as you ever will in your entire lifetime.

Just remember,

You asked for it. :angry019: :angry021:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    Keithmax and macaronus like this.
  18. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Exactly!

I have dark hair, so I can see my stubble although it can't be felt.

My friend who has light colored hair, he looks like the ones you mention on TV, even without makeup.

So for us dark haired blokes, we need makeup if we want to look like the guy from Gillette commercial that get a totally clean invisible shave with just one stroke ;)

Keithmax and Troy M like this.
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good point. You didn't say what color your hair & skin are. If you have dark hair & light skin, it is hard to look "movie perfect" even when it feels flawless. So go easy on yourself.

Slow Joe and tuxxdk like this.
  20. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I wouldn't aim to look like something from the movies, as said before special effects and make up give actors an unfair advantage in looking good. Images in magazines are manipulated with Photoshop again distorting a natural image to one almost impossible to attain, IMHO. Maybe your best bet is to decide if you want your face to FEEL super smooth, or a comfortable shave, or maybe even both :) . Good luck in whatever you decide to try.

macaronus likes this.