Is there a larger handle for an SE?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by markjnewcomb, Sep 12, 2014.

1. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I have a couple of SEs (Everready 1912 & Gem Damaskeene), both of which have very small handles in both length and width. My biggest handle is about 3/4" wide and 2-1/2" long. Are there alternative handles from other razors I could use? A handle from a DE will not fit because the SEs have the post on the handle and DEs have the post on the head.

2. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

That size handle seems to be the standard at that time on SE razors. To get a longer handle on an SE type of razor I think you're going to have to get some injector type razors from the 1960's onward.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  3. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

10/32 set screw... You will be able to use a DE handle.

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

:signs011:

markjnewcomb likes this.
  5. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Some SE razors use a 6-32 pitch as well, but either way a 10-32 stud should do the trick. Just cut the stud to right length, trim the post above the handle to the right length and cut the threads with either a 6-32 or 10-32 dye depending on what your SE head is threaded for.

There may even be one or two modern DE handles with a thread pitch other than 10-32, but the same approach should work - just get the right stud if it's not a 10-32.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I concur with fram773 completely..:happy088: I've used both 10/32 set screws and just cut off lengths of a regular 10/32 screw.. Both ways work with the set screw being easier of course.. I've used this method on 1912 and 1924 SE's. Some of the handles I've used are vintage Gillette and Durham Duplex , Weber, greistshaving, Sabi, Cadet and Parker. One caution the 1912 Damaskeen for some reason (at least the ones I have) aren't 10/32. I forget what size they are it's something like 7/8?? Any way they aren't 10/32 and I've never found a DE handle that would fit. However I'm sure you could either make a custom handle or even cobble one together, from tubing and use a tap and dye set to make the threads.. :)

I never thought of that Stubbi E.(putting a double end on a stud) that's a great idea..:happy088:

markjnewcomb likes this.
  7. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. I'm kind of surprised at the lack of diversity on handles.

BTW - @178-bplatoon was correct as to the threads being different on the 1912 vs damaskeene - I never bothered to look at the two together.

The correct stud thread is easily obtainable through simple mathematics. Of course, I will run out to ACE hardware & have them measure the threads. :)

I will work on some ideas & let you know what I come up with. Off the top of my head, I was thinking a nice turned very dark wooden handle with the screw imbeded......

8. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

You could find one of those Gem Juniors with the big fat Bakelite handle:

[​IMG]

BigMark and markjnewcomb like this.