Is this a Gillette Double Ring?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The picture is fuzzy...but I'm not sure if the base rings look like a real Gillette Double Ring?

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Looks like it, but I'm no expert.

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Dark, are we starting on open combs now? Shouldn't you at least let the SEs arrive first?! :happy102:

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Maybe for $40 I should take a gamble on it

Well, I've always wanted a double-ring...but not sure if this is the real deal or some off-brand copy.

5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Hard to say without a better pic and a clean up. But, for $40, it might be worth the shot. If nothing else, you get a case and blade cases which many would pay 40 for alone.

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

True.... I did go ahead and buy it actually.
    Funny I buy it...and get a notification that the seller is out of the office until March 13 lol.
    So..uh...do I wait and pay until he gets back? :)

Anyway, will be fun to see if it's a double-ring or not...and if it's not at least I may get some good shaves out of it...or sell it to someone.

7. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Best Safety Razors were made by F.Koehler and Company in Solingen-Ohlig Germany. They made copies of Gillette razors in the 1930's so it's not a legitimate double ring, unless someone put one in a Best Safety Razor box, which is highly unlikely.

GDCarrington and richgem like this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yeah I have also learnt that the 13 teeth..as opposed to 14...is a dead give-away that it's a 'copy'.
    Oh well, we'll see how it shaves :)