Is this a gillette open comb?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ferroburak, May 19, 2010.

1. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

2. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

It's a Gillette Ball-Handled Tech; a nice, relatively mild razor that is a favorite for many of us. I like them with the sharpest of blades (Feathers, 7 O'clock). Cool case, too. Even if it doesn't exactly match the razor, it's still nice.

3. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

Bad news but thanks.

Why bad? I my case the problem with mild ones is that I seek a closer shave with them(up to 6 pass..) and get a lot of irritation for my greed :sick007 :)

4. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

You have to wonder with sellers like this whether they are deliberately dishonest or just don't care about getting it right. I think it was the same guy who was describing two black handled Super Adjustables as Fat Boys, although those listings are over now, and I'm not sure. He had one of them listed as a "Q1", and there was never a Q date code, maybe an "O" with a scratch on it.

A common source of mis-identification is when a razor has been put in the wrong case, and the seller assumes that the name on the case is the name of the razor. A good way to identify many Gillette models is to go through the pictures on this site.

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yep, that is indeed a Gold Ball End Tech that you have bought, and as previously mentioned it is a favorite of a lot of us.

As for your open comb quest; ya gotta be looking for the teeth Bro:

Attached Files:

6. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

Nice Score

The Tech's a good razor and when you get yourself a SuperSpeed (believe me, sooner or later you'll get a SuperSpeed - RAD will overcome you!) you'll have a case for it. :cool:

Best Regards

goshawk

7. beyboo

beyboo New Member

Question - Are the ball end handled open combs (1st and 2nd) the same model or are they different. And what are they ?

8. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

those appear to be Old Type Gillettes. They were produced in the early 1900s up to 1920 or so. Gillette NEWs appeared in 1921 and have a bar across the head that holds the blade in place. See the 4th from the left- it's a NEW.

Old Types were designed to work with a thicker blade. This makes them more aggressive when you use them with modern blades. Also, they have issues with keeping the blade centered due to the thickness of the two posts that hold the blade in place.

9. beyboo

beyboo New Member

I have two news - both short and long tooth versions.

I also recently got a so-called Khaki / brownie which look exactly like the old type you mention. So is a Khaki also an old type or is a brownie / khaki / old type any different from one other ?

The head of the one I have seems to be the model which is used by Goodfella from NZ - the blade sits flat on the head with little or no gap. It is a mild and smooth shaver as the comb gaps are not as open as the one in the pictures here or the one I have.

10. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I have a military issued Khaki which is clearly a Gillette "Old."

As far as ebay I think some sellers are just clueless and some are manipulative. The manipulative ones put in buzzwords like "Fat Boy"
    or "Gem Junior" for razors that a not. This just brings them up on searches when people try searching for those razors. They probably also hope to sell them for more to people who don't know any better-scumbags.

11. wazazzle

wazazzle New Member

Dunno if anyone else notices... But that tech is slightly aggressive compared to your standard milder +1952 tech, which has the rectangle slots. Slots are located on middle piece of your de. You'll notice techs either have the triangle or rectangle when comparing side by side. Techs mft'd between 1939-51 have the slightly more aggressive shaving triangle slots. Yours was mft'd '39-'51

12. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

Thanks for dating it. I think slots are not triangle but a circle-like shape but I haven't seen it yet. Also this picture seems so:

[​IMG]

13. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

Hi,
    Would this weigh 1 pound?
    [​IMG]