Is this a good deal? Compact German DE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Onlybackroads, May 12, 2014.

1. Onlybackroads

Onlybackroads New Member

Hey everyone, new here so I haven't been able to do a bunch of research but I thought I'd ask for some advice before it ends. I like the idea of having a compact travel razor, and this seems like a fair price for something in good shape and of vintage. Is this price worth it? Or is this thing a total piece of junk. I am into the idea of experimenting with many different razors, but don't want to waste money on something that is known to be a bust. Thanks in advance for any advice!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400704452464?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

The price seems with in reason. I do not know anything about that razor. It seems like a fair price, but if you look directly below it for $3.00 more you can get a Parker that's brand new,
    Welcome to TSD.

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

IIRC, you can get a new Merkur travel (same set up as your link) in the $30-40 range. Also note that the open comb razor you're showing could be pretty aggressive. The Merkur travel is closed comb, in case that matters.

4. Onlybackroads

Onlybackroads New Member

OK, thanks. I guess I am just a little crazy about only wanting vintage/antique things, the majority of things I use in my life are old/used, so old razors are a big reason why I got into wetshaving. I'll probably hold off on ebay stuff, and try to hunt some down in antique stores or swap meets so I can see how they feel in person before taking a shot with the unknowns of the bay!

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

If you really want an extremely short handled travel razor like that, there are literally jillion* of Gillette travel tech's on Ebay, some new old stock, for well under that price range. They're mild shavers.

*Yeah, I know.

Adonis likes this.
  6. Onlybackroads

Onlybackroads New Member

Ok, thanks. I'll check that out!

7. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

:signs011:. I bought a NOS one for $15 at a local antique store. They are about that much on the Bay. NOS and American for half the price. I do not even use my Weber anymore.