It is the skill, not the tools

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Epimetheus, Apr 18, 2015.

1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

This is an interesting discussion and lots of valid points have been made. You may want to follow along with me in May if the MAYhem voters win out. I will be using two very bad razors along with ten blades that are considered by many to be a waste of steel. Besides just trying some blades and gear I normally wouldn't use I hope to answer the question of technique vs. tools at least for myself. @GDCarrington always says technique trumps tools....as long as the tools aren't just plain defective. I'm hoping to discover just what constitutes defective, or "too defective" to be workable. If I can survive three days on each blade and improve the result every day then there will be some fuel to the argument that technique is king. If I have to jump ship and go to better gear then maybe there will be at least a measurement of how much bad gear counts. Should be fun and interesting, even if only to me. LOL Disclaimer.......it's all subjective, yes, that is the essence of YMMV. But it can be helpful to see what others find, or at least entertaining to watch them try!

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    +1

3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

J. Geils said it, too. "It Ain't The Meat, It's The Motion"

IDuck and NCoxSTL like this.
  4. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I agree that without proper technique the BBS that I usually get every morning would be impossible (always shave ATG ) But if I combine a mild Gillette Tech with a Derby blade or lesser blade, I get only a fair shave and probably a bit of razor burn. Comparably matching an Astra or Personna Red with say my EJ R89, Merkur 34c and definitely Weber PH or a Gillette adjustable I get a BBS for sure. But this is me. Some guys get a BBS with a mild Tech and a d Derby blade. Others need to shave with an aggressive Muhle R41 matched with a Feather blade.
    How many of us really think of technique while shaving? Isn't it like second nature, where the hand naturally knows what angle on what part of the face without even thinking about it? I think I pay more attention to my lathering and making those little swirls. My wife sometimes likes to poke her finger in the lather ( hehe) That's before i pick up the razor.

5. Miles853

Miles853 Member

Technique is Important but the right tools also help

[​IMG]

6. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

:signs011: Well said. A picture is worth a thousand words