its official, i have done it

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by D.irving79, Aug 29, 2008.

1. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i have officially gotten a wedge blade shave ready.

:D:D:D

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Pictures. Which wedge. I am going to have my Rapide wedges done. How did you do it?

3. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

it was a kampfe bros. wedge. ill get together a little "slideshow" in a bit.

4. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Kampfe Bros. Lucky dog. That is like 1890. Ruby Lane has a Kampfe Bros. Stropper device. Pretty cool actually.

The rapide, actually I had an idea to use Rolls wedges in there if i can get the safety bar off. Then I can strop and sharpen easily.

5. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

the razor/wedge i have is 1888. the stropping device im using is a GEM.

the rolls wedges are too fat and not wide enough.

6. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

ok. here goes. step by step how i sharpened a wedge blade. the easy way would be to obtain an allegro model E razor sharpener, but theyre pretty scarce. anyways, on with the show...

first, the tools of the trade:

[​IMG]

at the top we have a stropping attachment. under that we have a stropping handle; mine happens to be the handle of a GEM razor. to the left we have the hone section of a rolls razor. in the center, the wedge blade itself. to the right, the stropping machine. in this case, a GEM. and lastly, a strop. i used a valet.

after you insert the stropping attachment into the stropping handle, you will want to insert the blade:

[​IMG]

youll notice that its hanging out slightly. that is to cope with the metal edges of the lid of the rolls hone. next, the actual honing itself:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i neglected to keep count, but i kept it up for at least 40 minutes to an hour. whilst honing, apply LIGHT PRESSURE.

after youve done a decent amount of honing, youll want to do a little stropping. prepare the stropper:

[​IMG]

youll notice the empty slot in the middle. on the right, theres a spring backed pin that pulls out for blade insertion. pull it back, insert the blade, snap it into place:

[​IMG]

now youll need to run your strop through the stropper. hook the strop to a secure place facing you, pull it under the first roller, then under the turn pin, then under the second roller. youre basically doing this in steps towards you:

[​IMG]

you run the stropper up and down the strop. the turn pin flips the blade back and forth exactly like it would a valet auto strop razor. repeat as needed. i tested the blade on my face. even a dull blade can cut arm hair. the finger test can work as well.

7. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Cool! Thanks for sharing!

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Awesome!

9. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

10. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Wow. That's cool! and old.. that's an uncommon style razor

11. Automaton-Tim

Automaton-Tim New Member

I have seen one of these kampfe brothers razors in my local antique store, too bad they want $35 for it.

12. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

what year is it?

13. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I would be interested in one :D

14. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

thief! ;)

15. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Oh.. I'll pay for it! Or a trade.. an Allegro Model L?

16. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i need an E. i never see them anywhere. bollocks :(

17. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

I've actually had a lot of fun sharpening some old Segal blades on a Tam O'Shanter hone.The key is to use a little Paraffin oil and a very light touch.:D

18. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I honed my Henckle wedges this weekend too. I however do not hav kewl stroppy thing so I used a real strop. Work great. I even manged to rehone my straight on the same stone.

Thanks.

19. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

some henckels sets came with an allegro stropper model E than ive been searching all over the place for but cannot find.

20. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Mine just came with the handle. Have you tried Tias or goantiques?