IUs my neckline good or is it too high or too low?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by DannyRodriguez, Jan 12, 2016.

1. DannyRodriguez

DannyRodriguez New Member

According to Eric Bandholz there's only 2 problems you can have when you're growing your beard. One is screwing up your neckline and the other is not having a beard.

I am 2 weeks into my first beard and I just spent a long time trying to get a good neckline in order to avoid this. I've mainly followed the advice in this article: http://www.beards.org/neck.php but I've also looked around in other places and the consensus seems to be summed up pretty well in that article.

Please tell me, do you think this looks good or should I let it grow out again and re-do the neckline? http://imgur.com/a/0QrCN

AGHisBBS and gorgo2 like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Looks fine.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  3. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I didn't read the article. This is only based on looking at the picture and the "rules" I came up with for myself: What I always look for in a goatee is an emphasis of my chin. What I've looked for those times when I've had a full beard is an emphasis of my jaw line as well as my chin. So with those criteria in mind, I think your neckline is too nearly vertical. I would flatten it more if it were me. No reason to start over for how I'd want it though. The point nearest your ear is fine. I would start there and then parallel your jaw line cutting deeper in toward your chin in small increments. No more than 1/4-1/2" daily until it "looks right." The key is I always want a line very close to parallel of my jaw.

AGHisBBS, ElectroMike and Robyflexx like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Textbook. Good job.

BigCabDaddy and AGHisBBS like this.
  5. DannyRodriguez

I thought about the exact same thing 10 minutes after I posted this. What do you think of something a little closer to this? http://imgur.com/41oaFZT

BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  6. ElectroMike

ElectroMike Active Member

Yes but also trim about a 1/2" off the neck, so that the neck line is closer to your chin.

Joef, BigCabDaddy and AGHisBBS like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Perfection.
    [​IMG]

Joef, BigCabDaddy and AGHisBBS like this.
  8. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Looks like you got a nice start to a good looking beard

BigCabDaddy and AGHisBBS like this.
  9. ElectroMike

ElectroMike Active Member

Funny thing is that I've not rocked a beard for almost two years now, just a Van Dyke, this season my wife asked me to grow it out, so no problem, 5 days later and bam! So I was in the same process of adjusting the neck line, took a few shaves to get it zeroed in!

10. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

As someone who has had a close cropped beard, I'd recommend shaving your cheeks a bit to bring down the upper beard line to be roughly equal to where your mustache line is. Good start though.

11. DannyRodriguez

Thanks! I'm worried about the mustasche and lower lip though, it's not filling in that well.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  12. BigCabDaddy

Yes! But I'd cut in towards your chin a little more too. See how youre stopping after the neckline is headed down your neck?

AGHisBBS likes this.
  13. DannyRodriguez

I'm not 100% sure what you mean. You're telling me to cut like this? http://imgur.com/GxeO934

AGHisBBS and BigCabDaddy like this.
  14. BigCabDaddy

Exactly. You could even move that whole line up if you wanted or needed.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. DannyRodriguez

I can't move it further up but I'll look into it next time I shave. It's only a millimeter of a difference, why is it so important?

AGHisBBS and BigCabDaddy like this.
  16. BigCabDaddy

It isn't. I'm just thinking out loud what I would do if it were me. :)

AGHisBBS likes this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Looking good.

AGHisBBS, BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Thus the true answer to this thread - It's your beard. Trim it how you like. :happy088:

AGHisBBS, Jay S and BigCabDaddy like this.
  19. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Looks good.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  20. ejmolitor37

ejmolitor37 Member

Looks good the longer you have a beard the more you will experiment a bit. I have had a beard for like 16yrs now and I don't think it is really ever the same exact every time I clean it up. I tend to let it grow for several months at a time keeping things around the beard tidy. Then I get tired of looking like a hobo and I clean it up a bit. Plus that keeps the wife happy. Best thing about a beard, it fits your face. ; )

AGHisBBS and Troy M like this.