January 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2016.

?

How long have you been part of the 30 Day Crew?

1. Charter Member baby! Since January 2015

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Over a year and a half

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. About a year

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Last 6 months or so

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. This is only my 2nd or 3rd month

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I'm a Newbie!!

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  7. I'm not telling until you give me a cookie!!

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Must a beautiful photo, Mark. Something about it caught my eye, and I got lost in it for quite a while. Thank you for sharing.

Happy New Year!

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I need to remember that. The problem isn't that it does or doesn't, but that I have actually sat and wondered about the answer.

4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

[​IMG]
    January 1, 2017
    I thought I would take the blade out after today's shave and dry everything off. Wet hands and tight tolerances resulted in a little cut to my finger.
    [​IMG]

Regardless, it was an effortless shave to start off the new year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD January 1, 2017
    Route 66/Injector focus

Blade
    : Chinese Schick
    Razor: Schick M adjustable injector
    Brush: Jayaruh #60 synthetic
    Lather: Route 66 Cavendish
    Post: Witch hazel splash enhanced with Ozark Mountain Trail aftershave, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

Starting off the month with the M adjustable. Started on 5 and then went up to 6 for the last part of the shave. Very smooth, efficient, and enjoyable razor. I also really like the look of it with the chrome head as opposed to the gold that most injectors have.

Anyway, superb lather and protection from Route 66. It's great soap! This will be a good month.

Have a great day!

SOTD 1-1-17.JPG

6. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

January 1, 2017 - the brush off

Supply Provision Single Edge injector / vintage Schick Chromium (3)
    Brush from 1960s "Mod" brush/soapdish/razor holder set - boar
    Eternal TOBS Avocado croap
    Alum and Thayers Witch Hazel Lavender

This month I am trying to finish off my Eternal Tub of TOBS Avocado Croap while working through rotations of razors, blades and especially brushes to determine my favourites of each.

My brush tests started with an early bang yesterday when I destroyed 2 boar brushes during my last shave of 2016, thus reducing my entrants from 14 to 12. However I reincarnated one as a synthetic, so I was back up to 13 today. An unlucky number...

Today, my examination prior to use caused me to re-badge (de-badger?) two vintage brushes I had bought as badger as being dyed boar instead. One was today's brush which is part of a Space Agey 1950s or 1960s era soapdish and brush and razor holder. The brush performed adequately apart from losing a few hairs, but I definitely have better ones. I think it will do better as part of a neat old display set rather than in a using rotation.

I have my doubts about tomorrow's entrant too. It's a telescoping travel brush made by Simms with 1921 patent dates. Again, I thought it was badger but now think it is dyed boar. In either case, the knot is well-preserved and I have used it in the past but it probably should not be used too frequently. I'll see how it responds tomorrow.

Today's shave itself was good. One pass and a bit of cleanup with the Single Edge and vintage Schick steel gave me a DFS+ result. The older Schick injector blades are very sharp and smooth compared to either modern Personna or Chick blades. The Single Edge takes some adjustment because it provides little audible or other feedback; when the angle is right, the stubble simply disappears. There was no burn anywhere from the alum.

7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks Jared! Happy New Year. cheers.gif

8. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I'm in. Since my first shave of '17 will be tonight (I do that so I won't have to when I get up at 0430), I reckon it'll be my beloved (?) Williams soap, the Ever-Ready brush, and a BIC blade in the toggle (it's been working pretty good the past couple of days on my trouble spots), followed by Nivea Cooling post-shave balm (yes, like the Williams, I actually *like* it).

9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

If I had to DE shave at oh dark thirty like that I would definitely do the same, or risk serious bodily injury

10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Ouch!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Whoo hoo, focus number 25, go! My focus for January will be to use larger straight razors, 6/8 or larger. I have been having trouble getting the finess correct with my larger blades, and I have some great ones. I will also be using my badger brush all month. It's a resin handle turned by Darius Troth, with a 24mm Envy White knot. My goal is to get a good feeling for the brush, and better with the bigger straights. Open for soap and aftershave rotation. To show my dedication to this focus, I will ignore it for the first shave of the year.

This was my planned shave for last night, but I fell asleep before it happened.
    Razor: Rolls Gold Plate
    Brush: Dubl Duck M2 w Boar
    Soap: The Shave Den Purple Rain
    Aftershave: The Shave Den 2X Iced Purple Rain splash.
    IMG_5406.JPG
    Seems fitting to use the Purple Rain set for The start of the year. An amazing scent in tribute to one of the greats we lost in 2016. @Queen of Blades nailed this scent. The Rolls razor system is basically a short piece of straight razor on a stick, and a way to sharpen and maintain it, in a cool Art Deco box. @Billyfergie gave some tips on how to hone the blade. I spent some time on my regular stones and strops, and worked all the chips out of the the edge, and polished it up well. I thought it was easier than a regular straight.
    IMG_5407.JPG
    This razor demands no pressure, and is similar to the angles of a straight, but at a 90 degree angle from normal. I did three passes and was comfortable enough with the little handle to buff my neck and jaw for a BBS. Actually an epic shave, alum was pretty quiet, and no blood. I may have to use this beast again.

12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great looking Rolls, Adam. I have a couple, but I really need to get the blades honed. My first attempt at try didn't go too well. I am glad to see you got your blade shave ready and were able to enjoy the shave. It sounds like a great shave all around.

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Did anyone else notice how he just threw in that "BIC in the toggle"? Like that's something we all do. Nice! I shave in the late evening now as well. Started that a few months ago just to give myself more time. I don't have to get up at the ungodly hour you do, but I am NOT a morning person so don't give myself a lot of time in the mornings. Simplifies things and makes it more enjoyable when I can spend time on my shave in the evening.

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Establishing a Focus then instantly ignoring it. Epic 30 Day thinking! Your time here the past 24 months has clearly been well spent!

15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Just put a Bic the toggle..it'll be great. I mean who hasn't done that before?

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

16. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

key word: toggle ;)

Edit: It *was* nice. Lesson learned: Starting off at "7" is fine on the flat areas, but bumping it down to "3" will keep me from butchering my throat where the whiskers grow sideways. Another lesson learned: Being patient & not rushing will also prevent the drawing of blood. I'm still trying to break the bad habit of "just getting it over with", but I'm getting there. The Ever-Ready brush is a pure pleasure, and I think my Nivea Cooling balm will hold out for several more months. (Say, replenishing depleted stock doesn't count toward the NB'17, right?)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Two shave reports in one. Last night I need to shave for a social engagement and again this morning for work. Jan 2 is not a holiday in Korea so back to the salt mine.

Sunday night: Shave 2 with the Thäter 2 band teamed up with MdC. The Thäter made quick work with the MdC. Three passes with the Rocnel SE50 and I am ready for romance. The Rocnel is nice but I definitely prefer my Cobras so I think it will leave the den sometime soon.

Monday morning: Shave 2 with the Thäter 2 band teamed up with Crown and Crane. It was not long and lots of slick lather, too bad this only going to be a three pass shave. It is less than 12 hours from my last shave so just 3 passes. I used a DOC Evolution with a Super Iridium, a heavy, aggressive, stainless steel razor, just what I like. I am smooth and irritation free so it is off to the salt mines.

IMG_3956.jpg IMG_9645.jpg

18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

The absolute best shave of the year!
    My focus is Route 66 and Straight Razors. How could it possibly go wrong?

Evening Shave
    Route 66 Twisted Tweed Soap
    B-400 Brush by Tom
    Dubl Duck Dwarf
    WSP Gaelic Tweed AS
    This was the best shaves ever with a razor that I honed myself. I'm BBS and feeling good.
    Happy New Year![​IMG]

19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Happy belated birthday by the way!
    Nice looking setup.

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I won't be the final rule on this (or am trying not to be) but....if you run out of something you absolutely have to have (for instance, MWF for me) then a replenishment would not count against a NB. Boy could I ever take advantage of that loophole though.