January 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2016.

?

How long have you been part of the 30 Day Crew?

1. Charter Member baby! Since January 2015

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Over a year and a half

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. About a year

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Last 6 months or so

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. This is only my 2nd or 3rd month

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I'm a Newbie!!

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  7. I'm not telling until you give me a cookie!!

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Absolutely agree, Doug!

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

What a nice gift for the ladies. I'm sure they will have fun. My wife has gotten used to me shooting squirrels in the backyard.

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs011:
    :happy096:

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Next brush up is a Rooney super badger (heritage hair). I am not normally a fan of the 'it is has great backbone, it takes more than 1,000 psi to even get the hair to flex but the tips are so soft' brushes but I really enjoy this one. No it does not have the pillow of fluffy goodness like the BK8 but it builds a good lather and lets the lather go.

So I load the Route 66 like it was a day late and a dollar short, it is Saturday so I can really take my time. This is a great soap for SR shaves, wet and slick. Four passes and just a one weeper, not sure if it was a weeper or a pimple that got in the way of sharp blade. Lot of time and excess lather so I did a closing WTG pass and received a long lasting BBS. On the pimple in the mix that released the blood prevented this from being an epic shave. Today's razor a Hart Steel 7/8.

Irritation A Closeness A+ Smoothness A Sharpness A+
    ID - 1.jpg

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 8 others like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That was some pretty dangerous work he did in the middle of Sultans of Swing

6. wristwatchb

7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Ever Ready C-40 with Envy White 2-Band
    MDC Vetyver
    Wolfman WR1-SB with Darwin
    Feather HS #2
    Fine Fresh Vetiver
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

[​IMG]

8. wristwatchb

Mark, that's a beautiful set up! Did you re-knot the Ever Ready handle? I have one of those handles with the original knot, and I'd like to re-knot it.

9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

That's a cool blade you got there Keith!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Happy Anniversary January!!

January 20

Mostly Shavettes

Razor - Magic Shavette
    Blade - shark-super-stainless-shavette.jpg (1)
    Soap - Route 66 Sweeney Todd
    Brush - Semogue 620
    Post - Alum

After a couple of slightly underwhelming days with the Shark Super Stainless in the Fatip it's time to move on to the shavette version. I'm honestly expecting an improvement based on what has happened so far in these comparisons. But the Shark was underwhelming enough to make me wonder.

The Semogue turned the Route 66 into a mountain of lather and it was extremely slick. That will help. I took a second to reorient myself to the shavette, remind myself that I needed to watch the approach angle, and went to work. First stroke was a bit weak but my angle was a bit shallow. Went back with more angle and got the sound and feel I was expecting. First pass was quite uneventful and very effective. Second pass almost started bloody as I came in too straight on the blade but.....just before contact my brain re-engaged and I avoided the cut. Finished the second pass with a very nice DFS and the blade was seriously smoother tonight than in the Fatip. Alum was also quieter as I had hoped and expected. Amazing how much better a blade can feel when you control the angle so precisely, as well as the adjustments on the angle as you go.

Looking forward to tomorrow's shave with it.

Magic closeup.jpg

SharptoothC, Drygulch, PLAla and 11 others like this.
  11. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

January 20 - PAL and Dustmop focus

Gillette Black Beauty on 3
    PAL Gold Thin Hollow Ground carbon (17)
    Surrey Premium Badger brush, aka "The Dustmop"
    The Eternal Tub of TOBS Avocado Cream ( croap )
    Alum and Thayers Witch Hazel Original

The Eternal Tub lathered, the Dustmop in its third outing of this round mopped the lather onto my face, and the PAL on shave 17 mowed everything off. After that, the alum was quiet, and the Thayers Witch Hazel gave a final polish to my facial skintone.

Not much more to say, really.

So far only one taker on the offer of a few PAL blades to try. Anyone else interested? If so, just PM me the name and address to send the envelope...

Edit: Anywhere in the world is okay with me -- a letter envelope is fairly cheap to most places.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    SharptoothC, Drygulch, PLAla and 9 others like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

A Journey Down Route 66
    19-20 January 2017

IMG_1234.JPG

This is the kit until the 19th, long good day followed by a nice shave. Other than that...all is quiet in Alabama.

Have a super Saturday!
    :)

Linuxguile, Drygulch, PLAla and 11 others like this.
  13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

It's quiet in Alabama? And Colorado? One might suggest you're the calming influence for both!

14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Saturday is a no shave day for me. Plus I'll be driving my youngest back to school. Tomorrow though, Voskhod's get their turn in my NEW. Once they are done, to be fair I'm going to run the GSB's back through it. Then I'm going to do another blade Focus in February for the Parker 99r my neighbor gave me. That will give me a four razor rotation. Should be fun.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

January 21, 2017
    Timeless OC .95 Gap
    Feather (3)
    Zenith B2 Boar
    Route 66 Rum Runner

[​IMG]

The week with Rum Runner and the Zenith B2 Boar has come to an end. Route 66 soaps in general and Rum Runner in particular are fantastic soaps. If you have not tried Route 66 soaps I would encourage you to give them a try. The Zenith B2 Boar continues to impress me with its soft tips and ability to produce mountains of lather. Unlike my Omega boar, the Zenith did not require extended use to soften the tips. For all practical purposes, the Zenith was fully broken in out of the box. The shave this morning was boringly excellent, two passes with touch ups ending in a near BBS. I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great picture Clint. I like seeing the green. :)

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug.

18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks Charlie! :happy088: The C-40 was new NIB. I replaced the knot with an Envy White 2-Band.

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Nice going Mark K!!!!! (and thanks, Charlie).

20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Congrats on your upcoming anniversary! That is a big accomplishment!