January 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2017.

?

Any New Year's Resolutions for your shaves?

1. Go Dark Side and learn straights this year.

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Purchase your dream razor and live happily ever after.

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Use up some of the excess soaps/creams I've been stockpiling.

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Limit purchases of shaving gear to less than 25% of my gross income.

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. No Buy 2018!

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Cookies. Just going to eat cookies.

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  7. I solemnly resolve that I am up to no good.

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Randy, safe travels to the Ice Cream Cone-vention.

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The citrus notes from the Florida Water contribute to the overall effect.:cool:

3. wristwatchb

I was deemed unteachable six months into my career and exempted from all training. :D

Screwtape, sdguero, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  4. wristwatchb

There's our handsome little 30 Day Man! He always seems happy. I bet he has a great personality!

5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

27151341-8F52-476C-A745-A561EC226273.jpeg

January 20 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Stirling Port-au-Prince SS
    CJB Pain Stick
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Front or back seat? I can Google the pix myself. ;)

7. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Sandalwood Saturday? Great shave with Proraso Red soap and AS. I love this scent and the post shave feel from Proraso Red. Used the ‘65 Slim on 9 with a Gillette Platinum blade and a Parker Synthetic brush.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

Is the aftershave sandlewood? Does the scent last? I’m really digging my sandlewood shave soap

9. LevelupShaves

It has a great Sandalwood scent and it actually has Sandalwood oil in it. The scent lasts for a while maybe an hour or two. I’ve never tried Fine’s Santal absolute but if it’s like other Fine scents it will last all day.

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Both actions take skill and perseverance.

Funny thing if you look up the word perseverance, and both actions are describe, but not pictured. :happy097:

11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Back ... :signs081:

12. RyX

RyX DoH!

I can only speculate on the RH & VW. I could go on about a chunky blonde, Mazda 626 - back seat, and a drive in theater - but we'll try to keep it Family Friendly.

13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Lets just say "memorable".:)

14. Steve G

Steve G Active Member

Hi guys,

so this is my 13th day of wet shaving. I follow some (but not all of the rules.....)
    1 brush YES
    1 soap YES
    1 brand of blades YES
    1 razor hmmmm.....no....

I have a Merkur Future clone and to be honest, I did not like it. I like wet shaving, but not the razor. The razor is just too... big? It doesn't feel comfortable in my hand at all so I decided to go to my local shop and I "dry" tested all the razors they had. Boy did I like the Merkur 34C.

So of course, I bought it and I just tried it. I like is so much more than the Merkur Future clone. I have so much more "control" over my shave with the 34C.

The only thing about the razor that I don't like is that I have to "fiddle" with the blade to make it perfectly aligned and even on each side. Is that typical of all Merkurs 34C?

P.S. The shave I just had was a 9 out of 10. Best ever in my life basically. Better than the electric razor I used for 25+ years and so, so much better that the Gillette plastic junk that cost a fortune that I started with.

So what happens now, do I get kicked from the 30 day focus group? I am still focusing on wet shaving and never going back to the electric razor... So that is focus no... ;)

15. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Steve, no worries about the rules! We don't have rules here. Think of them as guidelines to try and hone in on getting better and better shaves. Sounds like you are already on the path to that so you're doing just fine! You certainly won't be booted out!

Can't comment specifically on the issues with the blades and the 34c. I'm sure there are some in this group that have used that razor and that own one and can give you some better info.

16. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

You just need to “Rebalance your tires”, brother!

I did kind of the same thing when I became a new dad. I feigned incompetence several times on the diaper changing to the point where my wife got exasperated. I’m not sure if she was exasperated that I was incompetent, or that I would stoop to feigning incompetence to get out of diaper changing. Either way it worked!

17. LevelupShaves

That’s it we’re going to have to break your fingers now! Just kidding it’s all about learning your technique. The clone will probably feel better later. I started with a 38c which is just like the 34 but with a longer handle. I like it but I had the same blade issue. I got an Edwin Jager DE89 and I love it. A Gillette Tech or Superspeed is pretty great too.

18. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

January 20th
    Short-Handled Black Beauty w Nacet (3)
    Jeeves Apothecary SS
    TGN Synthetic
    Thayers
    Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender
    C7FB0C9B-5E53-4A7D-8820-E03DAF8FE03F.jpeg
    A rare afternoon shave for me, but we will be heading out in a bit. I will be MCing the local Robbie Burns night dinner, which is a big local fundraiser for my daughter’s Highland Dance group. We’re not Scottish, but my daughter loves to dance and I was ‘volun-told’ that they needed me to MC. I’ve been researching Scottish jokes this afternoon, both good (very few, actually) and bad (volumes about cheapness, sheep and the English).
    The Jeeves soap is fantastic, as is the Unconditional Surrender, and I’m ready to go.
    Have a great night all!

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

You're doing great. I started with a 34c and still use it a little. I don't recall having any blade issues but I bought mine new 4 years ago.

sdguero, RyX, Steve G and 3 others like this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Sounds like a fun evening Jason. Have a great time.

Screwtape, jtspartan, sdguero and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.