Jeepers.....Weepers!! (and a couple of questions)

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Glaswegian, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Glaswegian

Glaswegian Member

Well, it finally happened. On my sixth shave, I incurred my first cuts.....a couple of tiny weepers on my neck while shaving ATG on my second pass. I was using a Derby Extra blade for the second time. I didn't shave ATG the first time I used it, in fact I only did one pass, since it was my very first wet shave, ever! For my intervening shaves, I used Personna and Wilkinson Sword blades and was very pleased with both. I wanted to try the Derby blade again to see if I liked it any better than the first time. It just doesn't seem to cut that smoothly to me. The weepers seem to confirm my impression, although being a noob, it could certainly be my technique.

On my seventh shave the very next day(yesterday), while using the Personna blade for the third time, I opened up(what seem to be) the same two weepers on my neck....again, on my second pass ATG. Obviously, I remembered the weepers from the previous shave and was very careful when going ATG on that area of my neck. To no avail, however.

I guess I should have skipped the second pass on my neck altogether, or at least done it WTG. What would be the best way to proceed? I'd also like to know how long I should wait before going ATG again, on that area of my neck?

Btw, I'm really enjoying the wet shaving experience! I should have converted years ago.

2. dimmerswitch

dimmerswitch Active Member

Without knowing anything about your shave routine it's hard to give good advice. What do you do to prep your face before you shave?

I wouldn't try going ATG on the second pass. Pass one should be WTG second XTG and then ATG but only if you really want that BBS shave. Which, of course you do, that's the best part of wet shaving.

Also, make sure to not push down on the razor and watch your angle. I'm sure that's on your mind, but it's worth repeating.

Glaswegian likes this.
  3. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Let the affected areas heal, and try it again. I have this issue on my lip, and it's not even a bad place.

Glaswegian likes this.
  4. Glaswegian

Glaswegian Member

My routine:

First, I wet my face with hot water. Next, I apply lather(been using TOBS & Cella) with an Omega artificial Badger brush that has been warmed by soaking in hot water. I then rinse my razor, a Gillette New Open Comb(short) in hot water and do my first pass WTG on my face & neck(I sport a Van Dyke, so no chin or upper lip work is necessary). I also make certain to frequently rinse the accumulated soap off my razor with hot water.

Starting with my third shave, I have been doing a second pass. I have been going XTG on each side of my face, from the area near my ear toward my mouth. As previously mentioned, I've been shaving ATG on my neck, which for me is from the bottom part of the neck toward the top. I had completed this second pass routine three times with no adverse effects(using either Personna or Wilkinson Sword blades). It was only on my fourth attempt, while using the Derby blade, that I incurred the two weeps. I believe the same weeps were reopened on my seventh shave, during the second pass ATG, when I again used the Personna blade.

I should mention, that prior to wet shaving I used an electric razor. It would never shave very close on my neck, or anywhere for that matter; so I would do a "touch up", or second pass if you will, on my neck, with a Gillette Fusion razor. This was done usually, but not always, WTG....but ALWAYS DRY, without ANY prep whatsoever. I used NO water, lather, or lubrication of any kind(I didn't even wet the razor!)...and I can't remember the last time I cut myself. I would also sometimes do a "second" pass on my face this way, as well.....usually WTG, but occasionally XTG. I've been doing this for many, many years. CRAZY, I know......now! The point is, perhaps this "technique" has toughened my skin, and is why I've found the transition to wet shaving quite easy and "painless", so to speak.

So, in a nutshell, there is my routine!

5. dimmerswitch

You're tougher than I am lol.

I usually shave after showering. When I'm in a hurry I pretty much do what you do. I wet my beard with hot water but then, after making my lather in a bowl, I apply some lather to my beard and wash it off. I've found that that helps hydrate the hairs even more than just the water. Hydrated hair is softer and easier to cut so you may want to give that a try. I've used Derby blades and they pulled and irritated my skin.

Glaswegian likes this.
  6. Glaswegian

Glaswegian Member

Update: today's shave went well. I used the Wilkinson Sword blade(3rd shave using it) and made 2 passes.
    First pass WTG. Second pass XTG, including my neck(per dimmerswitch's suggestion). I was very careful around the area where I had the 2 weepers, obviously, and this time didn't have a recurrence. Hallelujah!

I received 2 Derby Extra blades in my sample pack, and have used 1 twice. The first time was my first wet shave, ever. It didn't feel that smooth, but I'm a noob, so who knows. The second time I gave myself a couple of weepers. Since I haven't had any problem with the 2 other blades(Personna & Wilkinson Sword), and shaves with them feel smoother; it will probably be awhile before I use the Derby blades again. Besides, I've still got Shark, Gillette Silver Blue, Astra Platinum, Crystal Super+(Israeli Personna's) and Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum blades to try.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  7. dimmerswitch

Glad it's going better for you!! I use Astra Platinums (whatever the green box is lol). They're cheap, last for 4 shaves on my wiry beard and always give me a smooth, irritation free shave.

Glaswegian likes this.