July 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which of the following will you use during July?

1. Traditional Straight Razor

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. DE Safety razor

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. SE razor

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Popsicle Stick Razor

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Sharpened Ax

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Katana sword

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Slightly sharpened butter knife

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Cookies. I'm here for the cookies. Why, oh why do you torment us this way?

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  9. Pain Stick

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Shavette

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I need to observe some tutorials. It may happen. Will that knot fit in the brush handle without altering it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey, Norcalnewb and clint64 like this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Thursday shave, off focus

Today I took out my DOC Evolution for a spin, I did not have enough time for a DE shave because I forgot to strop a razor last night. Four passes, no fuss, no blood, no irritation and smooth face.

Irritation A+ Closeness A

Razor: DOC Evolution
    Blade: Rapira Swedish Steel
    Brush: 30DC LE

Pre: Proraso
    Soap: R66
    AS: Fine Snake Bite
    Scent: Creed Green Irish Tweed

IMG_3803.jpg

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful razor and picture, Doug!

4. Norcalnewb

I had to whittle down on the glue a bit with my dremel. I also used the dremel to cut the knot out.

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

If it is plastic handle pro 49 you can drill a hole in the bottom of the handle. Since the handle is hollow you can insert a screw driver and pop the cup with the knot right out. Then use a dremel to cut the plastic cup off the knot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Just do it, Chris. I'll make it easier for you. If you are unsuccessful (which you won't be), you can send the remnants to me and I'll send you a new one. If you need help or guidance, PM me.

clint64, Douglas Carey, RyX and 3 others like this.
  7. Norcalnewb

That is basically what I did.

8. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

No shave pic today, just this:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

9. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Way better than a Shave pic, buddy!

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Like x1000

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Time to straighten up!

July 26

Razor - Feather SS
    Blade - artist-club-pro-light-blades small.jpg (1)
    Soap - Stirling Bay Rum
    Brush - WCS Synthetic
    Post - Alum

The blades arrived today and I'm ready to do some trialing! Is that word?! Anyway, I popped in the Feather Pro Light blade to see how it stacks up against the Soft Touch guarded blade. I've read nothing but bad things about the Pro Light, basically that it really is too mild to be of use to anyone beyond either a total novice shaver or someone with incredibly sensitive skin. Given how mild the Soft Touch is, while still being basically effective, I had to give the Light a try.

My first observation - where is the blade exposure?! When I loaded the blade I was honestly shocked at how little blade you can see. In the picture below, with a Pro or especially a Super Pro blade, you can see the blade in place. Good luck getting a view of this blade in that picture. I'm already dubious.

Stirling for a super slick lather and away we go and.....wait a minute.....this is an AC blade, right? And.....it's a Feather, right?? And......is that tugging I feel?! And drag?! Yes, yes it is. Time to check the blade to make sure it isn't damaged. Nope, no visible damage, and against my fingertip I can feel it's a sharp blade. Or at least sharpish. But....for a Feather AC blade this thing is more like a Tiger. Ok, maybe not that bad. But this thing is not sharp like I would expect a Feather to be. At all. Add the micro-exposure on this blade and the angle becomes critical to even hit the cutting edge and it's way too easy to roll off of it to a point you're not even shaving. Just rubbing a razor over your face. Yeah, this thing sucks. Bad.

I only made one pass with the blade and, I can say, it did reduce things somewhat. Nowhere near what even the next mildest blade has done in the past. This blade is for, well, I'm not sure. I do know that it's a rough shave indicating it's dull in addition to having no workable exposure, or minimal at best. I finished with the Delta Echo New and Ladas. Much more enjoyable than the pass on the Pro Light.

I am rather surprised to have found a Feather blade that really doesn't work! The zombies may be on the march!

July 26.jpg

12. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Boy, I step away from the Thread for a brief time and there are 180 messages to read when I come back...

I don’t have any new shaves to report since my last on Sunday night and won't until Friday morning. I made a scheduling error in the shifts I agreed to cover for people this week and have now been on the phone help lines since Sunday at 6pm and don't get off until Friday at 930am. If I have enough of a break to shave then I have enough of a break for a catnap...

Hope everybody is having an invigorating week...

13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:thanks: Jim.

SharptoothC, clint64 and Norcalnewb like this.
  14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I thought so. I had taken some pictures of the process for Jason and thought others might benefit from posting them.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

July 27, 2017
    OneBlade Genesis V2
    Feather FHS-10 (3)
    30 DC LE with Omega Boar
    Reef Point Test Depth

[​IMG]

Another excellent 2 pass shave this morning. The shave was close, quick, smooth and drama free. The Reef Point Test Depth has a clean crisp citrus vetiver type scent. Even though the performance of the soap is top notch, I would enjoy it more if the scent strength was greater. I hope everyone has a great Thursday.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    PLAla, SharptoothC, jtspartan and 8 others like this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Been there done that!

17. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Clint!

18. Norcalnewb

IMG_0498.JPG

Jul 27 SOTD:

Rubberset 400 with Tuxedo
    Stirling Glastonbury
    Gillette Ranger Tech
    Feather (5)
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Stirling Glastonbury AS

Shave 5 on this blade was very near a BBS. The Ranger Tech performed very well. Again, I used a brush for the first time this morning. This handle is terrific and feels very nice in my hand. The know was top notch as well. I will spend some time with it and the Cashmere, but both knots feel different from the Plisson style in the Stirling and Maggards brushes. I hope everyone has a great day.

PLAla, FaceScraper, Fup and 9 others like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim.

Great photo Jim. The 400 is a really nice brush handle. I bet the Tuxedo knot really sets it off.

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good photo again Clint.

SharptoothC, Norcalnewb and clint64 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.