June 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2017.

?

What would you most like for Father's Day?

1. A brand new modern stainless steel razor baby!

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. A vintage DE razor!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage straight razor - I'm living the dark side!

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. A nice vintage injector!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. A new brush - or an old one to restore!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  6. Some of my favorite soap or shaving cream!

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  7. Cookies - LOTS of cookies!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  8. A group intro without this stupid poll!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to June 2017!!! I decided you’d seen enough of my overly handsome face so the above video is just a nice throwback to enjoy. June is the month for Father's Day so Happy Father's Day to all you Dad's out there! I’m hoping and expecting for things to settle down on my end and I’ll be back full time in the group starting June 1 so get ready! The only break will be a camping trip later in the month, hence, the video works there too! Sorry I missed so much of MAYhem – my favorite month, but I’m looking forward to plenty of great shaves and shenanigans going forward.

More on my specific plans later, but for now, let’s get June kicked off!!

Welcome back or welcome for the first time!! Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

HEY! I said pause for revered silence! Ok, now you can proceed.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Again, if you want to follow the theme in some way feel free. But if you are on a Rule or Focus that doesn’t include the theme we’re totally fine with that. Most of all remember – this is about learning to use the tools and improving our skills so that TECHNIQUE TRUMPS TOOLS!!

Here are the rules. Those not following the rules will be subject to penalties to include a visit from Ivan or Igor to correct that stinkin’ thinkin’!

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Experienced Members also always welcome. Notice I stopped calling us “old”?
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. Any criticism of Russian steel of any kind will be met with swift and ferocious retribution. Ok, so maybe not so swift. The guys have to sober up first. And ferocious? Well, at least slightly uncomfortable to listen to. Plus their breath can kill charging bears.
    7. Any criticism of Feather blades is also subject to the same kind of almost uncomfortable retribution. The Yakuza has started mixing their sake with the vodka from the Cartel boys. Let’s just say it seems to have calmed them down.

Let's have some great shaves people! It's June!! Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  2. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Yay!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

These guys SERIOUSLY need new blades for their razors. I mean, what kind of group hug requires detangler?

4. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I'm in. Will focus on Injectors for a few more weeks to complete the 30 day focus for them, and then will move on to my new to me NEW LC with a variety of blades.

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

You're gonna love the New LC. That's my prediction.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am gonna hang around ifin that's aight with y'all. I want to work mostly on open blades. I can do no DE...but I will have to throw in some SE. So a big mix of different open blades this month!! Oh and MORE COWBELL!!!
    tmp_1576-morecowbell-308259690.jpg

7. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I'm in. I was going to continue to work with my Supply Provision injector some more, but I am going to detour first back into SE territory to get to know the lovely Gem Damaskeene I won in last month's TSD raffle.

I am also going to go back to trying out all the unused soaps in my inventory (and a few additional cream samples that have fallen into my greedy clutches), alternating with my Italian almond frankensoap. This should actually take me to somewhere near the end of July or even August.

Finally, when it arrives, I will also work on learning the quirks of my 30DC LE brush.

So a busy month with lots of variety all around.

8. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I'm in. I started honing straights last month with okay results. This month I am going to try a second razor and see if I get better results. The first razor was a no named razor and that may have been the issue.

Sent from my phone using some app

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Psssttttt. Arko adjustable April was months ago now. I won't tell anyone though...nope not a single person.

10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Here I am. More blade auditions for my GEM Featherweight. Got the PAL going currently. Blue Stars up next week. Then, who knows. I might find something at the fleamarket and be back at it again!
    HOOAH!

11. GarnerPW

Just last month I picked up a GEM Featherweight. I am currently using Rite Aid brand blades but have a pack of PAL's and was going out today and have the local drug store order me some Blue Stars. How do you like the PAL blades?

12. GarnerPW

Did any body else catch the price on that shave kit? With the razor it was $1.79 w/o it was $1.49. That means that for an extra $0.30 cents you can have a new TTO razor.

As Fuzzy said, April is over. Though I had to find what he was talking about.

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

So.... I haven't quite figured it out. Do you have a focus, are you here to help or participate in some meaningful way, or just critique from the peanut gallery all month?

14. GarnerPW

YEAH! Peanut Gallery! YEAH!

15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hey guys! Let's have a great month of technique. Two pass automatic for everybody!

My June 1 shave, still on the road:

[​IMG]

Have a killer Thursday!

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am in for this month as well. I will be focusing on synthetic brushes. I will continue the soap a week theme as well. I will be using razors based on my mood but if some new ones arrive I use them right away.

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

June 1, 2017
    ATT Calypso R1
    Feather
    Romero Olivewood Synthetic
    MdC Vetyver
    Myrsol Agua Balsamica

[​IMG]

Another automatic 3 pass near BBS shave this morning. The R1 has proven to be a smooth efficient razor. Not quite equal to the brass General but the R1 can hold its own. Finished off with a splash of Myrsol Agua Balsamica and I am ready for the day. I hope everyone has a great Thursday.

18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I plan on coming back this month, if the Cartel will have me. I haven't figured out what my focus will me as June seems to have snuck up on me. I may continue the No Focus Focus, as I have to admit it is fun, but I am still working on it.

Here is my first shave on June:

IMG_0270.JPG

Jun 1 SOTD:

Omega Boar Brush
    WSP Barbershop
    Injector Type J
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    WSP Barbershop AS

I used the Type J with the Personna Injector II Blades again, and was this ever smooth. Just a little chasing this morning, and I caught the baby. These blades are really great. Thanks @Screwtape!

19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Wonderful picture, Clint! It looks like a terrific shave!

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim. I will admit I'm having a great time with this lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.