June 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2017.

?

What would you most like for Father's Day?

1. A brand new modern stainless steel razor baby!

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. A vintage DE razor!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage straight razor - I'm living the dark side!

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. A nice vintage injector!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. A new brush - or an old one to restore!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  6. Some of my favorite soap or shaving cream!

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  7. Cookies - LOTS of cookies!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  8. A group intro without this stupid poll!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

IMG_1758.JPG
    Another great shave. Finished with Glacial Lemon. Holy cow does that stuff pack a punch! For a minute there I thought I was going to have to end up in the chemical burn unit of the local hospital. Fortunately all ended well. Shave on, gentlemen!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim.

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shot Jim. :happy088:

4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic "Los Tres Amigos"
    MDC Citrus
    Colonial Razors 'The General'
    Feather Pro Super
    Fine L'Orange Noir
    Terre D'Hermes

[​IMG]

5. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Tuesday June 20 - a soap a day keeps the shaver at play

Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Topaz Platinum ( 2 )
    30DC LE Cashmere Maple brush
    Pre de Provence soap
    Alum and leftover lather

Today's soap is another milled European hard puck, Pre de Provence from France. I don’t know how to describe the scent other than to say that it seems like a "bright" floral citrus mix. Very cheery and country summery smelling.

I was in a rare mood to face lather today and the 30DC LE brush performed superbly with this new-to-me soap. A few swirls on the puck in the tin had the dampened brush loaded with product. I wet down my face and the brush quickly began to build a good lather. A quick dip of the tip of the brush in hot water then added enough extra liquid to get the lather to a good slick consistency. The brush had enough lather for the second pass, a postshave "balm" pass, and a good handful squeezed out during cleanup.

The face lathered soap had all the slickness needed for proper protection, with enough residual slickness to let me do some buffing cleanup after the second pass without relathering. I reached a true BBS today with two passes and a bit of cleanup under my jaw. Mr. Alum had absolutely nothing to say. I then relathered with the soap left in the brush and massaged it into my face as a balm, left it while I cleaned up the sink area, then did a final rinse. The soap left my skin feeling clean and soft, no doubt from the shea butter in it.

Overall a very pleasant soap to use and a great shave to start the day.

6. Boojum1

Cool photo Jim! :happy096:

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Jim, I'm glad you have your great grandfather's pocket watch. It is a beauty!

I highly recommend Bob Ridley in Arlington. He services and restores heirloom time pieces and is known worldwide. He did a great job on my Bride's Omega and my '61 Bulova. Additionally, Bob won't do anything that would destroy the historic value of your watch. Some "watchmakers" won't be so careful, so be sure to do your homework.

A great second choice would be Rik Dietel in Seminole, Florida. He serviced my diver watch and did a fantastic job. He's a bit less expensive than Bob and every bit as good.

8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Randy!

9. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Clint!

10. Norcalnewb

Beautiful picture, Mark!

11. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Mark! Have a great day!

12. Boojum1

Thanks Jim! :happy088: Enjoy your day! :happy005:

13. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

At least two. Designer Jewels is one, they're a jeweler, but they also do watches, and they won't jerk you around if it is one they aren't familiar with, and there's one at which my grandfather's watch is being reworked. I'll get the name. There are also a couple of other old watchmaker/clock workers that I can look up the information on.

14. Norcalnewb

:happy088:

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

June Focus; On.

Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood
    B-400 brush by Tom, Tuxedo
    USTURA Shavette, P-Med Prep
    Schick J-1, Personna II Twin
    Alum, Pinaud Citrus Musk

SOTD 06202017 T&H PCM.gif
    So many brushes, soaps, & razors. Only one face. This would have been more fun if I'd discovered wet shaving a decade ago! Grabbed up the synthetic knot mounted in a detachable ferrule and threaded it for variation and face lathering ease. T&H soap face lathers easily using nonorganic brush knots. See Chris VS. David discussion. Thinking I'll install a fresh blade in the no longer 无名 Nameless Shavette - sold as Shaving Factory USTURA here from Canada. The Twin injector blades a still going strong. Three easy passes between the two with a little clean up rewarded a standard DFS. No burn alum and smooth Pinaud finish.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

16. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

June 20 - Shaving with Pine Scented Axel Grease!!

Merkur 34C
    Gillette SharpEdge (day 2)
    AOS 23mm Pure Badge Brush
    DIY PSO
    Tallow & Steel Boreal
    Alum/Thayers

The fun of the Pasteur visit doesn't stop. Today I am trying another soap I purchased from that trip - Tallow & Steel Boreal. When I heard about the new formulation T&S was producing to out do an already good product and form the fact that essential oils was to be used, I was dying to try them. To my disappointment, most of the scents in their lineup did not agree with me except one - Boreal. Himalaya, West Indies, Maya and Morocco were there but they did not appeal to me. West Indies wasn't bad but I preferred Boreal. This soap has a very good pine forest scent. I would swear that at times I can smell different tree scents from this soap. Official list of scents are '
    '. If you like pine forest scents, I found this one very good. I actually liked it better than the B&M Taiga scent which I passed on purchasing. I dribbled the water form a soaking brush onto the puck and thought that the tablespoon plus amount was too much but it was already there so I squeezed out the brush down the drain and proceeded to load my brush. Boy does this soap like water! I loaded for 20 seconds and went over to my bowl. I added water for a total of 7 times after the initial ridiculous amount to end with a extremely shiny and slick soap. I used 4 passes to dial it in,each adding more water. This soap can make a very dense lather and even when I thought I wrecked it with too much, it was still able to stay together. 4 passes and touch up resulted in BBS. Alum was a bit stinging today. Rushing due to being late really causes the technique to take a hit. When done, I STILL had enough left for 3-4 more passes when I was done. I lathered my face while I was cleaning up and decided to play with it a bit. the shower head was running so I just passed the bowl under the full running water with what was left and continued to STILL make lather! I did this twice before I finally dumped it down the drain. before the hose down, the peaks were very glossy and floppy. After the additions that were meant to ruin the lather were added, I could still get back to a lather that was more than adequate to shave with. It was even more slick to boot. I think this soap had an extremely wide range for water and even if you think you have too much, it will still produce an excellent shave. At first I thought there was no post blade slickness but that too was incorrect. a damp finger drawn across a lather free area resulted in slickness. I could easily do touch ups in spots lather free with out fret. I thought that no soap would do well after PannaCrema and I Coloniali. Those were awesome! I think T&S can hang with this group very well. I didn't even bother with a PSB. Well, that is not exactly true. Today, I was going to eat breakfast first and then apply the balm to see how the skin felt after some time had passed. Unfortunately, we were running late and I never applied it. Cheeks are nice and soft so I doubt I would have gained much had I applied PSB. Hopefully some new scents will come out that I may like. For now, Boreal will be thoroughly enjoyed.

17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

That is a sweet watch and a great family heirloom, Jim!
    I can't get over how awesome your Damaskeene looks, Clint!
    Lots O nice leather in that pic, Brian!
    The Voskie is still going! Awesome run Jim!
    MDC Citrus!!!! Now my interest is piqued! How's the scent strength ?
    I think I'm a synthetic fanboy too. Glad you found a name for the shavette. But the actual source was a Chinese vendor on ebay at about a fifth of the price.

Drygulch, Screwtape, mrchick and 7 others like this.
  18. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Andrew!

19. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Great watch. I love pocket watches as well. My grandfather had one that I adored. My oldest uncle now has it. When I got married, I gave pocket watches to all the groomsmen. To me, do not keep that in a safety deposit box or under glass. they were meant to be used and enjoyed. Wear it in good health.

Drygulch, Screwtape, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  20. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I have two of them in front of me right now. I use pocket watches when I know I can't have my cell phone (which is a BOON, I say!), such as Jury Duty, flying, and just trips in general. I no longer wear a wristwatch, because my body kept eating them.

Drygulch, Screwtape, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.