Just about to start my straight shaving adventure

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Vlasta, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    HI - name is Steve but I go by Vlasta on a few forums - don't ask why..... I live in Hong Kong but originally from United Kingdom

I sometimes get a shave at the local Shanghai barber shop and they use a straight. I love it - the shave is so close.... and comfy too. I was a bit scared about the total straight route what with stropping and honing and the like, so I have ordered myself a Japanese Feather brand SS Straight, the one that does not fold. I ordered two types of blades - the guarded one PG-15 and a pack of pro grade PB-20 so I can get a feel for both. Any tips for the novice straight user? Can I used regular "tinned" foam for example?

wristwatchb, Keithmax, RyX and 2 others like this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Welcome to the Den Steve. Not a SR guy, but I'm sure some will come along after they sober up, get over their hangovers or return from the ER. You've made it to a great place. You'll get tons of great advice and info. The SR community is strong here. Welcome once again and enjoy your shaves!

Vlasta likes this.
  3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Good morning, no need for the ER today, as it was just a flesh wound.
    Welcome! Glad to have you here.

Vlasta likes this.
  4. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Glad to have you at TSD.
    zwelcome1.jpg

Vlasta likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi!
    Search around and ask questions. Lots of folks who are more than happy to help.

7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and :signs046:

8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Welcome to The Shave Den. Be sure to check out our Straight Razor forum.

:signs046:

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome Steve @Vlasta ! Glad you joined us. There's no shame in using canned shave creme. If it works for you then it is good.
    I'd suggest you use the search box because the database is deep. If you don't get answers there ask here or start a new thread. You are sure to get advice, opinions, even actual information!

Click theses for some places to start reading what others think;

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  10. RetLEO-07

+1 :signs011:

RyX likes this.
  11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

13. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I am still waiting for my razor to be delivered from Amazon but I CAN'T WAIT to try it out. I use King of Shaves cream right now so I will give this a try with my straight and let you know how many times I nick myself on the first go.....

wristwatchb and PickledNorthern like this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you. Welcome to the Den and welcome to the 'dark side' as we call straight razor shaving.

There is allot of information on this site for straights and shavettes like your Feather. No pressure and the right angle are keys. Just start with your cheeks and then each shave go a little farther as you gain confidence.

Vlasta likes this.
  15. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Now I am hooked. Just ordered a brush, alum block, repair gel, and Trumpers cream - the lime one as I love the smell of fresh limes. And..... I started thinking about shave techniques and you know what? After watching a few videos on straight shaving on Youtube I finally figured it out that even with a regular Gillette Mach 3 nanny-razor I have been doing it all wrong. Whilst waiting for my straight shaving requisites to arrive I tried again with the Mach 3 and used NO PRESSURE, just let the blade do it's work - holding the razor with fingertips only instead of going at it with heavy pressure. I tightened the skin, something I have never done before. Result - the closest and I mean the closest home shave I ever had in two passes. No razor burn, no soreness after going over the same patch like 5 times. Did not need to go against the grain at all. No one ever taught me how to shave properly and I assumed I have been doing it right for all of these years.... in fact I was dead wrong - use a sharp new blade, lots of cream and NO PRESSURE and you can get good results even with a nanny-razor.

I cannot wait to get my straight now - I am fully tooled up, or I will be once Amazon delivers, and I am ready for baby smooth shaving!!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  16. RetLEO-07

I've got the Trumper Limes Shave Cream and love it. I've also the TOBS Coconut. One Sunday, I combined them and got a very neat smelling lather. Good luck with your straight. You're a braver man than I am Gunga Din!

PickledNorthern and Linuxguile like this.
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Steve @Vlasta, welcome to The Shave Den! Consider joining the 30 day Rule/Focus to work on your technique and have fun along with the rest of us!

RetLEO-07 and Linuxguile like this.
  18. Welcome! Be careful with that straight blade my friend.

19. RetLEO-07

:signs011:

wristwatchb likes this.
  20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Houston Texas.

Vlasta likes this.