Keeping track of blade usage

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Joelio, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

I've noticed I tend to, with my rotation, forget how many times a blade has been used. For example, I'll put a fresh blade in my Cadet OC and shave, then I'll shave with my RR Mission with the blade that's in it, then my Black Beauty, then by the time I get back to my OC I forget if it's a fresh blade or one that has been used before or how many times. Does anyone else have this issue or is it just me? And if you did, but solved it, how do you do it?

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I like the solution that Chris, the wet shaving evangelist, came up with which is that he keeps a dice on his shaving shelf and every time he shaves - regardless of which razor the blade is in - he shifts the dice to show the next number.
    When he puts in a new blade the dice goes back to showing one dot. :)

I believe he has the dice 'secured' in a metal clasp of some kind to protect against accidentally dropping it.

You can see the dice setup in this video at the 3:50 mark :)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

If I lose track, I toss the blade. If it sits longer than a week, I toss it.

Omelmad likes this.
  4. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Simple, I only have one blade in service at a time and it goes into a different razor each day. When it feels like it's getting dull I throw it away and start with a new one.

5. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have to say that I do the same basically. I do clean my blade and my razor after every use, with Rubbing Alcohol .

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use a DE blade twice, no need to count/worry..

Omelmad likes this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

On average I'd say I use a DE blade 4-5 times but I don't personally keep track of usage.
    I shave 4-5 times/week so I basically just replace the blade weekly.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here, pretty much. I put in a fresh blade on Monday and rotate it to a different razor every day. Ivtoss it after Friday's shave.
    Straights on Saturday, SEs on Sunday's. For SEs, fresh blade first Sunday of the month, move to next SE, toss after fourth Sunday.
    Fifth Sunday? I fire up the Rolls Razor!

macaronus likes this.
  9. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I usually try to stick to one razor, but when I do rotate I will use the same razor 3 times and then toss the blade before moving on to the next.

dscaver likes this.
  10. Chef Bill

Chef Bill Member

Same here. All I need to do is count to four.

11. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I seldom use a blade more than 5 times, so I've developed this little scheme.
    Each time I've finished shaving, I put the blade on a shelf above the sink and I position
    it to show how many shaves it has completed. When I grab the blade for the next shave,
    I can tell by the way it's oriented how many times it's been used before.
    For blades that aren't numbered, I use the same scheme, but I orient the blade
    wrapper instead of the blade.

This blade has been used 1 time.
    Astra 1_20pct.jpg

This blade has been used 2 times.

Astra 2_20pct.jpg

This blade has been used for 3 shaves.

Astra 3_20pct.jpg

and so on.

dscaver and Omelmad like this.
  12. steelheart1948

steelheart1948 New Member

I keep all of my razors lined up on a shelf. Under each razor, I keep the wrapper the blade came in. After each shave, I take a black marker and put a dot on the wrapper of the blade I just used.

13. Nolan1982

Nolan1982 Member

I shave face every day and head every other day. I know that after my 2nd head shave..time to dump the blade

awk-m4 likes this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Using a dice would be the simplest way. I'm sure most have a dice lying around.

15. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I log it. Write down everything I used for that day's shave, in a small notebook, in a form of short hand, and how it turned out. After the name of the blade I put the usage, like this....Polsilver (3), or Silver Blue (2) or Personna 74 (23)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  16. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

I keep a blade in the same razor until I change it. The way I keep track is with shaving buddy. The app keeps track of each shave and the number of times you use each blade. A great app for Android or the darkside
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    Troy M and Darkbulb like this.
  17. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

:signs011:

If I do not already have a used blade out I get a new one. If the blade has already been used, then I throw it out after use.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  18. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I use the dice method for my injector razors. I make a mark with a pencil on the blade paper to keep track of the double edge and single uses.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  19. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I have stopped keeping track. When the blade starts to feel dull, I take it out after the shave and load it with a fresh one.

Troy M and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  20. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Mine is bulletproof. I take out a blade from a box. Use it and put it next to the blade when done. Next shave I use that blade and then throw it out =P