Kokak's Safety Razor journey...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kokak, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170902 Sat@1730

Prep: Stirling Lime Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Soap Commander Fortitude
    Shaving Bowl: Jays Clay's "Best Grip" Lather Bowl
    Brush: Stirling Boar Brush (24 mm x 57 mm)
    Single Edge Razor: GEM MMOC (WTG - XTG - WTG)
    Blade: GEM Personna RED (1)
    Splash: Humphreys Witch Hazel
    Splash: Stirling Bergamot Lavender (+Menthol) + Orange Chill (+Menthol) + Sandalwood (+Menthol)
    Balm: none

This Single Edge GEM is really nice. The Open Comb feels really good while reduce my whiskers and left my face BBS after 3 passes. No irritation, nicks or cuts. As this is the only Single Edge I have, my entries will become quit boring this month.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord Staff Member

By definition, a straight razor qualifies as a single-edge razor...
    ;)

Kokak and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  3. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s Well-Known Member

All of my razors are vintage, but a well written and understanding review like yours could very well sway me to try new ones.
    I too enjoyed the journal format. Thanks for the interesting, informative and well written posts, and the discussion it prompted!

Kokak likes this.
  4. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

You know... I was thinking the same thing earlier.

Thanks.

5. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170903 Sun@1315

Prep: Stirling Lime Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
    Single Edge Razor: GEM MMOC (WTG - XTG - WTG)
    Blade: GEM Personna RED (2)
    Splash: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
    Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

So today I decided to Chill out, Glacially. It has been sometime since I used the Glacial Lemon Chill soap and aftershave... WOW. My face was numb from all the menthol. And the aftershave was so cold it was hot. If I plan on using the aftershave again I will need to mix it with something to dilute the menthol a bit. The shave was smooth and relaxing. I do believe I get a better shave from my straight razors and even my Rockwell DE. But this razor ads a bit of variety and nostalgia at the same time. I was fortunate to receive this as a PIF and am grateful I have had the opportunity to use it.

6. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170904 Mon@1130

Prep: Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Proraso Green
    Single Edge Razor: GEM MMOC (WTG - XTG)
    Blade: GEM Personna RED (1)
    Splash: Stirling Bergamot Lavender (+Menthol) + Orange Chill (+Menthol) + Sandalwood (+Menthol)

I tried to have a 3rd shave with the same SE blade (GEM Personna RED), but that was a no go. With just one stroke upon my cheek I came to that conclusion. The tugging was going to leave my face irritated for sure. I changed to a new blade and irritation averted. I also settled on a DFS 2 pass shave. The idea; if I limit my shaves with the GEM MMOC to 2 passes, I might be able to get 3 comfortable shaves from a blade (we will see).
    The lather and scent from the Proraso is very pleasant. The slickness and post shave feel was okay. I will continue to use this soap, occasional, until done but will probably never buy it again. I have too many better preforming soaps to take up space in my den with just an "okay" soap.

7. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170905 Tue@2230

Prep: Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: B & M 42
    Blade: GEM Personna RED (2)

Another SE shave. The second shave on the GEM blade was good. I am hoping I get a 3rd shave out of it (we will see). B & M was a good performer as well. Slickness and post shave feel is very nice. Lather cushion was so-so (maybe my lathering technique last night). My face was nice, soft and smooth.

8. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170906 Wed@2200

Prep: Chiseled Face Pre-Shave Gel
    Shaving Soap: MWF
    Blade: GEM Personna RED (3)

It was "Wool Fat" Wednesday. Man do I love the "Fat"! It was a great 2 pass shave that left me with DFS results. Very comfortable and smooth.