Kokak's Straight Razor journey...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Kokak, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170927 Wed@2000

Prep: Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co. "Aces & Eights" **
    Shaving Bowl: Captain's Choice Lather Bowl
    Brush: Semogue 1305 Boar Brush (22 mm x 55 mm)
    Straight Razor: Hayashi Diamond "77" 13/16" (6) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG - WTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (15x Linen and 25x Leather)
    Splash: Humphreys Witch Hazel
    Splash: none
    Balm: none

So I received a few new soaps from Wild West Shaving Co. and I had to try one out this evening. The review of the soap is below. As an FYI; I buy all of my soaps and try to be as unbiased as possible when reviewing any new product.
    My shave was excellent and I am taking a liking to both of the Japanese blades I have in my collection. But the highlight of the night was the new soap I tested.
    So here is the review:

Soap: Wild West Shaving Co. "Aces & Eights" (Bourbon, Vanilla & Lavender)
    Ease of Lathering: 10
    Lather Volume: 9
    Slickness: 9
    Scent Strength: 7
    Scent: 8
    Post Shave Feel: 9
    Cost: $6.99 (2 oz Tobacco tin from Wild West Shaving Co.)

WOW! This soap is impressive. After the 3rd lap of my brush around my lather bowl, there was an explosion of lather. The scent was more Vanilla than any of the other notes, but great. The cushion of the lather was awesome and the slickness and residual slickness was great. The post shave feel... lets just say; I splashed some Humphrey's Witch Hazel and I was good to go. My wife even loved how my face felt and liked the scent. I will use this soap for the rest of the week, but this soap is on track to be my #2 favorite.
    I will be treating myself to an early BDay present and ordering all the remaining scents. Yah, it's that good (for me at least).

Keithmax, M14Shooter and Drygulch like this.
  2. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170928 Thu@2130

Prep: Stirling Lime Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co. "Teddy"
    Brush: Stirling Boar Brush (24 mm x 57 mm)
    Straight Razor: Tanifuji "FAVORIT 750" 6/8" (21) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG - WTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (15x Linen and 25x Leather)
    Splash: Citrus & Sandalwood "Blend"

Sooo... I tried one of the other scents I got from Wild West Shaving Co. Teddy was the scent (Line, Coconut and Tequila). It was a really nice scent and there was no difference in the soaps performance (I wasn't expecting any). The resulting shave was excellent. The soap is really nice and will be in my rotation for a long time.
    My top 5 soaps are...
    1. FABAC - Mitchell's Wool Fat mixed with Tabac
    2. Wild West Shaving Co - Teddy
    3. Long Rifle - Hunting Lodge
    4. Catie's Bubbles - Sunrise
    5. Cold River Soap Works - Jeff's Soap (it's a great performing soap) any vendor who is willing to step up and help another person like they did, deserves a spot on my top 5 list.

Keithmax likes this.
  3. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170930 Sat@0715

Prep: Stirling Bergamot Lavender Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Fabac
    Straight Razor: OPP'S BS "The Superior" 5/8" (3) WTG - XTG (face) WTG - WTG (neck)
    Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

A great Saturday morning shave. Fabac is awesome and the OPP's razor performed a great 2 passes of complete comfort and great post shave feel. I really didn't need the Balm, but enjoyed the additional moisturizer.

Keithmax likes this.
  4. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170930 Sat@2100
    note**

So since I started honing; I have noticed some scratches on the surfaces of my stones. I finally realized that these were being left by my DMT #325. After a little research I discovered that it is not uncommon for a DMT to sometimes have a couple of stray abrasive pieces on their surface. To fix this; I ran the DMT plate on a clean, wet section of my cement driveway. After a couple of minutes, things looked good. I test lapped one of my stones and wala... scratches were gone.
    I went ahead and honed 3 of my razors this evening and I think they all came out good. I will test them over the next few days. Besides removing the scratches on my stones (they even feel smoother), I also used the "Pyramid" honing technique.

Keithmax likes this.
  5. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171001 Sun@0815

Shaving Soap: Fabac
    Straight Razor: George Wostenholm I-XL 5/8" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (30x Linen and 60x Leather)

So a quick morning shave, then off to church with the Mrs. I decided to see how my honing of the George Wostenholm turned out. Well... it turned out just fine. Seems like I was able to get the tiny little ding out of the middle of the blade (where I hit the edge on the sink while rinsing). The edge was not perfect. But was comfortable and left me with 3 passes ending with DFS results. I hope the other 2 blades I sharpened last night are this good.
    My progression was...
    • 1k Chosera - to fix the edge and reset the bevel
    • 4k Norton
    • 8k Norton
    • 12k Naniwa
    • Arkansas Black
    All in all.. the results were very good. My blade was sharp. My shave was smooth. My face was comfortable.
    My plans for this week are to sort through all of my razors and see :
    • Which razors only need honing
    • Which razors need cleaning and honing
    • Which razors need scales replaced
    • Which razors need their geometry fixed
    • Which razors are hopeless
    Then the fun really starts!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    M14Shooter and Keithmax like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Great tip. But my neighbors are going to think I'm crazy when they see me doing it.

7. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

All the better...

Keithmax likes this.
  8. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171002 Mon@2230

Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co Pinkerton
    Straight Razor: Dubl Duck "Special No 1" 5/8" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (30x Linen and 60x Leather)

Another test shave with one of my edges. This evening was the Dubl Duck "Special No 1" razor. Let's say... it was a DFS 3 pass shave. Before honing the Dubl Duck I did check its geometry; which was good. I did reset the bevel, since I botched it the 1st time I tried to hone it. I did not use any tape; so there was a little additional hone wear, but nothing too bad. I am really enjoying shaving with a blade I have sharpened. Even if then reason it needed to be sharpened was my initial attempt at trying to maintain the blade. I have 3 more edges to try this week: The Gold Dollar "Ebony", the Gold Dollar "Red" and the OPP'S razors. I had to perform some geometry corrections on both of the Gold Dollars. But I think the edges turned out good. I will try the "Ebony" tomorrow night.
    Wild West Shaving Co "Pinkerton performed great. I wasn't crazy for the scent, too perfume for my taste, but a performer just the same.

M14Shooter and Keithmax like this.
  9. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171003 Tue@2230

Shaving Soap: Long Rifle "Bay Rhum"
    Straight Razor: Gold Dollar "Black" 6/8" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (40x Linen and 60x Leather)

This was a new Gold Dollar I got from Amazon. The blade had a little "wobble" in it, when I checked its geometry. So I had to work on it a bit. But it seems to have honed up really nice. I had one of the more comfortable 3 pass shaves to date. No nicks, cuts or irritation. While not BBS, it was very comfortable, with no tugging at all. I think I will end up working on the blade a little more; the heel and the toe seemed to have a bit of a point to them, that I felt a few times. The razor was a solid performer and had a nice weight to it. I am playing with the idea of customizing it and eventually making a custom 7 day set from these Gold Dollars. We will see.

[​IMG]

Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

You have gone from learning to shave with a straight to honing and now to modifying Gold Dollars very fast. Bravo!

Spyder and Kokak like this.
  11. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Thanks

Spyder and Keithmax like this.
  12. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171004 Wed@2200

Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Laramie"
    Straight Razor: Gold Dollar "Red" 6/8" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (40x Linen and 60x Leather)

Another Gold Dollar shave. The razor was okay, but needs more work (similar as the "Black" version). Wild West soaps are really good. I will be ordering another batch of scents to try out this next week. It is the variety of scents this soap has available that has pushed Long Rifle soaps down 1 notch and has taken the number 2 spot in my top 5.

[​IMG]

Spyder, DaltonGang and Keithmax like this.
  13. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171005 Thu@1515

Shaving Soap: Long Rifle "Voyageur"
    Straight Razor: Dovo "Best Qaulity Black" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)

Had the day off and a couple of new razors, that were in good condition, so I decided to hone them up and try them out this weekend. The Bevels were good on both razors so I only did some maintenance on the; 4k/8k, 12k and Arkansas Black. The result was a very smooth, comfortable shaving edge. I still have a lot to learn and my honing technique is just starting to develop. I know that in time, my edges will get better and better.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Keithmax, DaltonGang and M14Shooter like this.
  14. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171006 Fri@0845

Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Remnants"
    Straight Razor: Joseph Hollinger "Victory Special" 5/8" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)

This was the second razor I honed last night. It came out fantastic. The resulting shave was great. This is the 8th razor I have honed and I can't help but smile as I use a razor I have sharpened myself. It absolutely is the "tinkerer" in me that enjoys taking something that doesn't perform as intended and fix it. The biggest benefit to restoring straight razors are; straights are smaller than cars and a whole lot cheaper.

[​IMG]

Keithmax likes this.
  15. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171007 Sat@0730

Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Remnants"
    Straight Razor: OPP'S BS "The Superior" 5/8" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)

This was the second razor I performed "maintenance" on. The results were great. Very nice 3 pass shave without any tugging. After going through all my razors and cataloguing them by what they need (honing, scale replacement or cleaning): I have 10 razors that need honing, 11 that need cleaning, then honing and 4 that need scales, cleaning and honing. So needless to say... I have my work cut out for me over the next few weeks.

[​IMG]

Spyder, M14Shooter and Keithmax like this.
  16. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171008 Sun@0730

Shaving Soap: Catie's Bubbles "Sunrise"
    Brush: Stirling Boar Brush (24 mm x 57 mm)
    Straight Razor: George Wostenholm I-XL 5/8" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)

Quick shave before church. This is the second shave on the edge I put on the Wostenholm; it did not disappoint. Nice and smooth. Between the comfort of my edge and my improving technique, I can't stop smiling after my shave. Going through all the razors last night have allowed me to realize that I need to; work on the razors I have and shave with each of them. There is enough diversity with all the razors I have, that by the time I finish shaving with all of them, I will have a good idea about what qualities I like in a razor and then I can start zeroing in on my ideal razors (yes plural).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Spyder, Keithmax and M14Shooter like this.
  17. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171008 Sun@2100

Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Teddy"
    Brush: Omega 81052 Boar Brush (23 mm x 54 mm)
    Straight Razor: Klas Tornblom "Faux Frameback" 9/16" (1) WTG - XTG (face) WTG - WTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (40x Linen and 50x Leather)
    Splash: none

As a way to celebrate my last day of a long weekend (4 days), I decided to hone 2 of my straights. I honed my H. Boker & Co "King Cutter" and the Klas Tornblom "Faux Frameback". Both started on my Chosera 1k (bevel setter) and then through what has become my regular progression (Norton 4k/8k, Naniwa 12k and Arkansas "Black").
    So this evening I had a 2 pass "test" shave. I shaved with the Klas Tornblom had an incredible shave. I was very happy with the DFS results. This edge was my best one yet.
    This is really starting to get fun!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  18. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171009 Mon@2125

Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "James & Artemus"
    Straight Razor: H. Boker & Co "King Cutter" 9/16" (1) WTG - XTG (face) WTG - WTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (40x Linen and 50x Leather)
    Splash: Long Rifle "Bay Rhum"

This Boker was the second razor I honed last night. Looking at the edge with a x60 loupe showed me an edge that was well set (except for the last 1/4" of the heel). But the bevel looked good and the edge was straight and polished. I tried a new scent from Wild West Shave Co, "James & Artemus". It was a very different scent. I could smell the rose and leather. There was also definitely a slightly sweet smell (bourbon) too. It was very pleasing. Likewise, I had a new aftershave from Long Rifle, "Bay Rhum". So far, Long Rifle is the only Bay Rhum soap and or aftershave I can use without any reaction. Both Captain's Choice and Stirling cause my face to burn. The combination of the 2 make for a great pairing. Both last nights edge on the Klas Tornblom and tonight's on the Boker, were my best yet. I will try and have some photos up later this week of all the razors I am using.

19. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171010 Tue@2000
    note***

Well... it was bound to happen someday. I was getting ready for my evening straight razor shave. I had my Semogue Boar brush soaking. I had laid out my "splash" towel and set my GD W59 down (slightly open) on it. While reaching across the sink, I nudged the towel and the razor started it's free fall off the sink, to the tile floor.
    Without thinking (1st mistake), I reached out to catch the falling object.
    Realizing what I was doing, trying to catch a partially open straight razor, I stepped back and pulled my hand away.
    The razor then made that horrible sound of "clanging" on the floor.
    Looking down to asses the damage to the razor, I started to see a few crimson drops splatter the tile at my feet.
    Sure enough... I had a medial gash at the distal end of my 5th finger, about 8mm long. Cut the inside tip of my pinky, a little less than 1/2".
    Funny thing is... when explaining this to my wife, I was sort of proud of the fact that; I didn't even feel the razor cut me. My edge must be pretty good. She wasn't amused.

Linuxguile, Karl G, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  20. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Hope you did not need stitches.

Karl G, Spyder and Kokak like this.