Lanolin Question

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by John Ruschmeyer, Dec 14, 2016.

1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I've been noticing a bunch of posts lately which sing the praises of soaps, like MWF, which contain Lanolin.

So, I'm curious. Is it possible to add Lanolin to an ordinary soap at lathering time and get the same benefit? If so, where does one find Lanolin in a suitable form?

Keithmax likes this.
  2. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

It won't be the same. Soaps containing lanolin are made using a hot process, which isn't rocket science, but it does take some work and practice.

simms623 likes this.
  3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I belive @Keithmax does this. Maybe he can explain.

RyX likes this.
  4. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

5. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Lanolin is an emollient that hydrates your skin and prevents drying and chapping of the skin by slowing down trans-epidermal moisture loss. Additionally, lanolin can absorb twice its own weight of water. Essentially, it hydrates and forms a protective film on the skin. I believe it can be used in cold process soaps, not positive because I've only made hot process soaps, if so you could theoretically add it to a preexisting soap but I would recommend more research first. Refined lanolin can be found from a number of soap making supply vendors online.

Paul Turner and Drygulch like this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I know soaps from TSD have the option for lanolin. I'm impressed with the post shave feel.

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I took advantage of that option.

Mike Brown and Carbide Mike like this.
  8. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

It's been a long time, but back in my Hospital Corps days we gave lanolin back rubs to bed-ridden patients to prevent bed sores. The stuff we used came as a lotion, much like body lotions you buy today. I imagine there could be some benefit to using it as a post-shave balm.

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Assuming you stay away from Scotsmen...:sexe: @Billyfergie :scared007:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Billyfergie likes this.
  10. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

Drygulch likes this.
  11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

:taunt002:

Billyfergie likes this.
  12. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

:prrr:

Billy..:chores016:

Robyflexx and richgem like this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I added liquid lanolin to some of my veggies soaps. I find it improves the post shave feel and for some improves the slickness and protectiveness too.

I could never get MWF to work for me. Route 66 is veggie soap that has lanolin, also QCS hard soaps had both tallow and lanolin but they are going out of business. I think Sterling has some lanolin offerings.

Just do a search for liquid lanolin online. I added a few drops to the bowl or scuttle then build the lather.

14. cegadede

cegadede Member

Yes, it's possible with soft soaps. I've done that to a few. The lanolin I use goes by the brand lansinoh (it's made for use on the breasts of lactating ladies) it's food safe (the moms don't have to take it off before breast feeding) and ultra pure.

Usually I squeeze a small amount (the same amount you use of toothpaste) on a whole tub of soap and mix very well).

Enviado de meu XT1225 usando Tapatalk

Keithmax likes this.
  15. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5ยข

Lanolin is a non-saponifiable wax from sheep oil glands. It can be used in any soap (hot, cold, or glycerin), but might interfere with the scent of some as it isn't free of odor. I, for one, am allergic to it and so have to be careful that it is not in anything I use. I suggest a patch test on your arm before adding it to your favorite soap.

DesertTime and Keithmax like this.