Lapping Paper

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by jabberwock, May 2, 2013.

1. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I've been doing some research in regards to honing. One of the least expensive and seemingly quite effective methods that I have come across is the use of lapping paper. I've read a few dozen posts talking about the use of lapping paper to hone straight razors and about a half dozen YouTube videos on the same subject. So far the consensus seems to be that lapping paper works well and is extremely cheap (in the short run), but that stones are preferred in the long run. Based on this information I decided to purchase some 8 x 11.5 sheets of 3M lapping paper. I figured that with 8 x 11.5 sheets I could cut the paper into six 4 x 3 strips and two 4 x 2.5 strips and make them last a pretty good amount of time. I found a sight that had the individual papers for under $2 each, but only had the 12 micron, 5 micron, and 3 micron papers. The three papers plus shipping cost just under $10 total, so I went ahead and bought them. I should receive them in the mail early next week and am now on the look out for a 4 x 5 piece of tile or acrylic or something to use as a lapping paper mount.

My questions are these: What are the thoughts in regards to lapping paper in general? Does anybody feel that lapping paper is a better choice than traditional stones? Does anybody think lapping paper is a poor choice vs. traditional stones? Some of the videos show a guy holding the lapping paper mount in his hand and stating that they shouldn't be used on a stable flat surface, such as a table, what are the thoughts on this? Would I be able to do a full honing using only the 12, 5, and 3 micron paper (I also have a pasted balsa strop with iron oxide and chromium oxide and a barber's hone) or should I find a 1 micron paper as well?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts and advice folks.

BeShaved likes this.
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Lapping Paper has about 3-6 very vocal proponents, they swear by it..

If I owned only a few razors that were in excellent shape, with straight spines and straight edges, preferably, 1/2 hollow or better, then I would be good with Lapping paper..
    Most everyone I know that uses it, uses a Bevel setting hone first..

I have 5, 3, 1, and .30 IIRC I really liked using it on a near perfect new Wacker, and really did not like it on a restored W&B wedge.. Everything else I tested was between those...
    I cut mine at 3.5 x 8.5 and use a 4x10x1 polished marble slab that has silicone feet to hold it in place on the table.

I haven't sold any hones, nor do I intend to :D

BeShaved likes this.
  3. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I love lapping film. You can get it up to at least 30 microns. You can set a bevel on a decent full hollow with 12 microns and go from there(9,5,31, .3). Lapping film is great to touch up your razor. You can use 1 micron or .3 micron without paper and then .3 micron with paper underneath.

Like Glen says, it's next to impossible to hone a wedge, especially a large Sheffield wedge with lapping film.

I do think people do use a bevel setter first on more rough edged razors.

BeShaved likes this.
  4. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I stopped by Home Depot today and picked up a couple of pieces of 4 x 12 polished marble to use as a lapping film mount (and a spare). I also wandered around until I finally found a site to buy a single sheet of 3M Alox 1 micron 9 x 13 lapping film for a good price ($2). So, once all of my film arrives I'll give it a go and see how it works out. Thanks for the info so far, I would still love to have some input about the uses, drawbacks, and thoughts on lapping film. This is where I found the 1 micron film: http://www.fiberoptics4sale.com/p/3M-Lapping-Film-9x13-Inch-Sheet/AO9X1301262X.html

BeShaved likes this.
  5. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

You can get lapping film from Thorlabs, bestsharpeningstones,precisionfiberproducts and many other places online, including ebay. I bought 8 by 10 sized sheets for around 65 cents a sheet from precisionfiberproducts. Shipping out and delivery is slow, but I called customer service a couple of times to expedite, still took almost 2 weeks to receive. Least expensive I've seen so far. I bought a 10 foot roll of 3 micron for cheap on ebay.

If you want to find out much more on lapping film, you'll need to go to badgerandblade and search for lapping film threads...many pages in each thread.

Lapping film is easy to use. Put a few drops of water ( I filled up an old honey squirt bottle with water) on the marble and place your film, glossy side down. Then add water on top and do regular honing laps, except they do not have to be X pattern, just back and forth.

I put the marble slab (or glass piece or other firm smooth object) on to a cotton towel to pick up some of the water runoff. I have a foot square slab, so do not hold it in my hand.

After you do 60 honing laps or less on the particular grade film, rinse the film and pat dry with paper towel. Then go to the next lower micron level. The lower the micron level, the finer the polishing being done. 9, 5, 3, 1, .3 microns are a typical run, but some people may use 12 to set a bevel. Others claim 5 will do a bevel, but it would probably take a lot of laps.

I also rinse off my razor blade between grades of film and dry with tissue, so I am not mixing grades of aluminum oxide.

So you could do 60 laps at each grade or you can tell when to stop when the water rushes over the full edge length when doing laps, which could be less or more laps. When you do the .3 micron the second time put paper underneath the film and do 48 laps or less. This smooths out a sometimes too keen feeling, some shavers do not like. I've never had a problem with that, myself.

Then do 25 laps of stropping on linen strop, old blue jeans,etc. followed by 50 or so laps on leather strop and you're good to go.

Sometimes on touchups, I done just a few laps, maybe 10 or so.

Pros: You can hone or touchup a lot of razors with a few pieces of film. Cheaper than synthetic or natural hones/stones.
    Cons: Hard to hone wedges on lapping film. Glen and I told you this in the other posts.

BeShaved likes this.