Lathering Techniques & Shave Soap Or Cream Alternatives

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by jimjo1031, Nov 23, 2016.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I know many people here have posted their ways of lathering, but I mostly see them scattered about. I just thought maybe we could do it on one thread so people can compare their ways, and who knows, try something different. Would also like to here about alternatives to using shave soaps or creams.
    I use three different methods of soap lathering, depending on my mood and/or if I'm in a hurry or not. One way is to lather up the soap in the tin, or tub, and apply to my wet face. And if needed, I will briefly add a bit of water to the brush to produce the lather I need. My second way, which I use when I'd like to spend more "me" time, is to transfer what I lather into the mug, usually over doing it some, and build up a nice thick lather. And my third way is having the soap in a mug and building up a lather that way.
    Also, there are people who use other things besides soap or creams, either always or just once in a while. I'd also like to here about them.

2. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

KIMG0008.jpg Yes, I Really shave with this. It is not for everyone, but it is quite slick . I mainly use it with shavettes, or testing a razor in the shop. Just wipe it off and wash my face with a nice soap. No lathering , or brush required.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'd hate to think how bad that is stripping the oils from your skin.

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Wow! I remember the smell of this stuff smelling of petrol. :eek: I don't think this can be healthy for you...

jimjo1031 and Carbide Mike like this.
  5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

6. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Ironically enough, it seems to soften my stubble ,and afterwards, my face feels silky smooth. I don't use it every day , and wish it had a nicer scent. Works surprisingly well with my face and stubble.

jimjo1031 and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

8. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Well lots of mechanics use it, but I wouldn't compare it to a organic goat's milk soap. It is not my everyday routine.

Primotenore likes this.
  9. swarden43

Maybe so, but what's it doing under the skin? I'd be concerned about the long term affects.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. swarden43

Hands are one thing, your face, another.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

The tub does say Multi Purpose, LoL ,but it is just a occasional thing. Thank you for looking out.

12. Primotenore

Article Team
    On their hands, sir. Big difference. I am not suggesting that you should stop, just suggesting caution.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

14. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Thank you for looking out. just posted it's non toxic, biodegradable and safe for children's hands.

15. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I did mention that I use it occasionally but I do appreciate your concern. It is my New Year's resolution to stop using.

16. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

At the risk of invoking a different thread... The part about cleaning tools and other household uses begs the question of how well Goop (without pumice, presumably) would work at cleaning razors? :)

Carbide Mike and jimjo1031 like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Material Safety Data for Goop seems safe.

Back to the OP's question;
    I split my lathering in two styles. If I am taking my time I like a suribachi bowl. It's not steep sided like a mug. Old Spice mugs are interesting but I didn't find them too helpful in building a lather. The Japanese spice grinding dish is low, wide, and textured. It always give good air inclusion when agitating a soap or cream.
    If I'm more hurried, good old face lathering gives a passable solution.

18. Primotenore

Article Team
    Interesting. I wonder if it's the same product that I remember from 40 years ago?

19. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I might try it with the pumice. Probably do a good job of exfoliating.:happy097:

Don

20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Far and away my preferred method is apply shave stick to wet face, and lather with damp Plisson.

Loaded brush is second.

Haven't used a bowl for building lather in 20 months or so.